FT Supervisors 12+ hr Days

12 Hoggin

I HAVE to get their a minimum of 3 hrs brfor the shift for all of that RSAMS, moving routes around to be able to run X amount of people...you know all the preload stuff.. i am responsible for 2/3 the operation....unload and 4 lines thats 2/3 of the HUB, but I have two pt coming in monday so i can train them on my function when i go on vacation

gumbybros

I managed a large grocery store for several years, and I think it's the same in almost every company - lower management gets treated like dirt. It amazes me they can keep finding people to fill the positions. You have too many bosses, and they all think the only thing that is important is what they want you to do. I've been a driver for 20 years now, and as much as I complain about the work load, I know the supervisors got it worse. Never again for me. I still remember it well.

Average at Best

I'm pretty sure our FT SUPE slept at the building during most of peak one year...he had to have lol. He was a great guy though, he's an on car supe now though.

I was a full-time hub sup and I DID sleep over during peak. Slept on the couch in the training room. They had moved me to work in a building over an hour away from where I lived, and they wouldn't pay for my relo because the controller wouldn't approve it. So, after a 16-hour day, I couldn't spend an hour driving home, sleep for a few hours, catch a shower, and then drive another hour back to the building. Nothing aids in catching some ZZZs like the intercom going off every few minutes, or the sweet diesel fumes wafting up through the floor, or a member of the creepy cleaning staff waking me up to empty the trash...

When I worked at UPS, I had a seen a few of my friends get promoted into FT management and the change was very difficult. They didn't have to say a word to me, I could see it in their face, their attitude and their posture. They simply looked tired, beat down, fatigued, miserable, frustrated, grumpy. Gone were the normal 8am - 5pm shifts that they enjoyed. Gone was seeing your kids off to school in the morning and arriving home in time for dinner and family time in the evening. Now the norm was a 10-12 hour day at best. Here are some of the positions that my friends were promoted into:

Nightside HUB LP: Arrive 6pm / Leave 9am next morning
Preload Sup: Arrive Midnight / Leave noon
DPS Sup: Arrive Midnight / Leave noon
IE OE Sup: Arrive 6am / Leave 7pm

I know there are good managers out there, but there are also plenty of managers who simply don't give a crap at all. FT sups often have to pick up the slack of an inefficient department because the managers won't do it or don't know how to do it.

I was in the promotion pool with these same folks and after seeing what happened to them after being promoted I thought long and hard and reconsidered my desire to go into management. After all, I was being pressured by my own supervisor to go into management. I threw interviews and luckily I never made it into management.

Do the math. Working 12 hour days all year translates into an hourly rate significantly less than what a top-end driver makes. To me, it just ain't worth it.

dragracer66

I am FT Preload Supervisor and work uh....approxiamately 12-14 hrs everyday, ...any other FT Supervisors able to utilize the ever famous line "Work-Life Balance" Because they ride this pony for what its worth everyday, because they know I am good at what I do and do it right, so I get MOUNDS of paperwork and other BS piled on my daily...Any of my other FT Preload Supervisor's going through this????
Oh...Quit your complaining I feel no sympathy for any sup who complains, you put your letter in, you sold your soul and your personal life to this company when you became a sup!!! You should have known what you were getting into before you did it, if you say you didn't your full of it!!! Suck it up or leave!!!!

Hey, I hear you on those long days. It's brutal. A lot of people think that when the sort goes down that we just go home. Haha if only it were that easy. Most especially a preload sup. gets it two times over. Other sups. tend to forget that they have been at work since 3:00 a.m. and when they show up at 7:30 they think you just got there or something to? So when you leave at like 3:00 p.m. they are like where are you going? IVE ONLY BEEN HERE SINCE 3:00a.m. And through peak preload sups. work the longest hours, because after the preload is down they help other sups. There were several times last year on the preload that our FT sups. would start up at like 3:00a.m. and work till 8:00p.m., and then get up the next morning and work the preload again. So I understand the long days...it's a brutal job.:happy2:

W

westsideworma

Oh...Quit your complaining I feel no sympathy for any sup who complains, you put your letter in, you sold your soul and your personal life to this company when you became a sup!!! You should have known what you were getting into before you did it, if you say you didn't your full of it!!! Suck it up or leave!!!!

Wow, a bit harsh? Just because he's a supe doesn't make it right. Some supes are decent human beings drag, they may be in the minority but they're out there. It shouldn't be like that at any company, period. Doesn't matter if you're a supe or hourly. He's a human being with a family. Excessive overtime is unacceptable, especially when you're not compensated for it (as most management people aren't), but unfortunately its become the norm. This company nor any other is worth 14 hrs a day of anyones time. However it will take a lawsuit before this company or any other will do anything about said problem and the way this country is right now, I don't see that happening.

HazMatMan

Wow, a bit harsh? Just because he's a supe doesn't make it right. Some supes are decent human beings drag, they may be in the minority but they're out there. It shouldn't be like that at any company, period. Doesn't matter if you're a supe or hourly. He's a human being with a family. Excessive overtime is unacceptable, especially when you're not compensated for it (as most management people aren't), but unfortunately its become the norm. This company nor any other is worth 14 hrs a day of anyones time. However it will take a lawsuit before this company or any other will do anything about said problem and the way this country is right now, I don't see that happening.
Lawsuit?? Wasn't there one in California about the part-time sups working excessive hours and not being compensated?? Maybe there could be one about full-time sups..

IDoLessWorkThanMost

You know, that is your opinion. IMO managers are overpaid and underqualified typically and they'd aught to be paid quite a bit less if they weren't working 12-14 hour days.

You know, that is your opinion. IMO managers are overpaid and underqualified typically and they'd aught to be paid quite a bit less if they weren't working 12-14 hour days.

Managers and supervisors pretty much do the same thing, just that one gets paid more and has a tiny bit more authority than the other. They both work ridiculous hours, they both are at the bottom of the management food chain. Even division managers are getting the shaft these days. With management downsizing, division managers are getting added responsibilities such as running their department in 2 districts or running multiple departments in 1 district. MIP isn't as attractive as it used to be and the UPS stock price has been stale for how many years now? I thought I even heard some people mention on here that management pension and benefits have taken a hit as well. Let's face it, UPS has its share of "lifers" who will not quit no matter how bad things get. The only people making money at UPS are district managers and up.

And you are right, there are lots of managers who kinda "grandfathered" in back in the day when experience counted and education didn't. That's why you see lots of these older managers going to the "online" universities to get degrees to compete with the incoming college grads for promotions. But they do have something that college grads don't - lots of experience. It's really a catch 22. Do you take the young unexperienced yet educated college grad or the under-educated but well experienced old-timer?

M

Manager4Life

I feel no sympathy for any union jerk who complains. Boo hoo, my supervisor is treating me mean, let me go run to my BA. Let me pay union dues so that he can buy steak dinners and lap dances. I can't add two plus two but please pay me outragous wages and benefits or else I'll strike! Boo hoo!

dragracer66

I don't think that it was harsh. I didn't say he wasn't decent, I'm sure he's a stand up guy alot of sups are. I get along with alot sups within this company. But when they complain about long hours and no personal life I just have to speak up. He knew what he was getting into when he put his letter of intent in and now he's unhappy!!! When you take any management position here it's UPS first then your life second. Everybody knows that.....

UPS Lifer

I was a full-time hub sup and I DID sleep over during peak. Slept on the couch in the training room. They had moved me to work in a building over an hour away from where I lived, and they wouldn't pay for my relo because the controller wouldn't approve it. So, after a 16-hour day, I couldn't spend an hour driving home, sleep for a few hours, catch a shower, and then drive another hour back to the building. Nothing aids in catching some ZZZs like the intercom going off every few minutes, or the sweet diesel fumes wafting up through the floor, or a member of the creepy cleaning staff waking me up to empty the trash...

There are things you could have done to prevent it. Next time, let your boss know that you are going to stay at the local hotel and put it on your expense account. Monday thru Thursday night. Tell them it beats paying the mileage rate. Do not let them put you in a position to work 16 hours a day. Come up with alternative solutions to cover the extra hours or inform them that the extra hours will be taken as time off when peak is over.

Part of the CA lawsuit was compensation or giving time off for hours worked for FT supvs. You will have to research it further if you want to know all the details.

Here is an effective way to handle a situation. When your boss or DM tells you that you are going to have to work an hour further away than you have been accustomed to, that is the time to work out an arrangement. Whether it is staying at a local motel or mileage or days off or a combination of those. Don't ever by "we don't do things like that". Arrangements are part of the culture...they are just not talked about.....like salary. Be discrete. Do not tell anybody about an arrangement that has been made. Leave that to your boss or DM.

Remember that solutions usually result or are influenced through a path of least resistance or what is quickest, easiest and least costly. It is human nature. A lot of the time a different and better solution will be brought to the table if they have to figure one out because of the "resistance".

Don't wait until you are already relocated to the new facility. If you are promised something and it is not delivered.... go to the next level and get HR involved.

Don't ever worry that your career will be derailed by standing up for what you believe. If you some reason you are black balled you have options. Also, I have seen entire Senior Staffs and District Managers replaced within 2 to 5 year periods. It usually only takes the one person to be replaced for you to get a clean slate back.

If you are diplomatic and respectful with a good sales pitch and confidence - you can usually get your point made without difficulty.

I can remember the District Manager telling me that I in two days I was going to have to go teach Manager Leadership School. I told him that no problem but UPS was going to have to pick up my tuition for my last class (I was taking) because I would have to with draw and forfeit what I paid in tuition. Gee - they found someone else to go spend 3 months away from home. That was only a $900 cost!

Last edited:
Don't ever worry that your career will be derailed by standing up for what you believe. If you some reason you are black balled you have options. Also, I have seen entire Senior Staffs and District Managers replaced within 2 to 5 year periods. It usually only takes the one person to be replaced for you to get a clean slate back.

While I was in the promotion pool I was encouraged to take the first job that was offered to me, no matter what it was. That advice was something that I strongly disagreed with and I made it known that I wouldn't accept a job that wasn't related to my degree just for the sake of accepting it. It just didn't make sense to me and my management team kept trying to convince me otherwise. I interviewed for a couple different positions and this question came up on every interview:

"I need you to work at xyz facility which is over 50 miles away, starting tomorrow, can you do it?"

My answer each time is no, I cannot. To me this is way more than a loyalty question, it's a "will you be my doormat" question. Yes I will work hard at this job, but no I will not be your doormat. Of course to the interviewer this translates to "ok, next candidate please" and the interview comes to an end.

I never got promoted, thankfully, and I have moved on and am working happily for another company.

Average at Best

There are things you could have done to prevent it. Next time, let your boss know that you are going to stay at the local hotel and put it on your expense account. Monday thru Thursday night. Tell them it beats paying the mileage rate. Do not let them put you in a position to work 16 hours a day. Come up with alternative solutions to cover the extra hours or inform them that the extra hours will be taken as time off when peak is over.

Part of the CA lawsuit was compensation or giving time off for hours worked for FT supvs. You will have to research it further if you want to know all the details.

Here is an effective way to handle a situation. When your boss or DM tells you that you are going to have to work an hour further away than you have been accustomed to, that is the time to work out an arrangement. Whether it is staying at a local motel or mileage or days off or a combination of those. Don't ever by "we don't do things like that". Arrangements are part of the culture...they are just not talked about.....like salary. Be discrete. Do not tell anybody about an arrangement that has been made. Leave that to your boss or DM.

Remember that solutions usually result or are influenced through a path of least resistance or what is quickest, easiest and least costly. It is human nature. A lot of the time a different and better solution will be brought to the table if they have to figure one out because of the "resistance".

Don't wait until you are already relocated to the new facility. If you are promised something and it is not delivered.... go to the next level and get HR involved.

If you are diplomatic and respectful with a good sales pitch and confidence - you can usually get your point made without difficulty.

I can remember the District Manager telling me that I in two days I was going to have to go teach Manager Leadership School. I told him that no problem but UPS was going to have to pick up my tuition for my last class (I was taking) because I would have to with draw and forfeit what I paid in tuition. Gee - they found someone else to go spend 3 months away from home. That was only a $900 cost!

Thanks for the advice...I think in general, all of your suggestions would work, but our district is a bit of an anomaly. Our controller is a complete megalomaniac, and he's been here almost six years already. Every other member of staff has been rotated out (in some cases, rotated out two or three times), but the controller doesn't have to move because the REGION controller and REGION manager are buddies with him. The controller doesn't want to move, so he doesn't have to. He also caused BIG problems with management turnover in his last assignment, and our district tolerates him for the most part.

The whole moving/relocation/milage reimbursement doesn't work with him, and since everything seemingly does through him, it therefore doesn't work in the district. We have had two center managers quit because the controller screwed them on the relocation thing, and he made one of his accounting sups pay the late fees on their Amex card because the CONTROLLER was late in approving it!

Everyone is afraid of him because he is a huge bully, but I'll take your advice to heart and see if I can be the first to stand up to him. I enjoy a challenge... :happy2:

UPS Lifer

freeloader,
There is life after UPS! I do believe that your experience with the company makes you a stronger person and does enhance your future jobs or career.

If I was interviewing you for the job and had 10 others to look at, I would probably take the person that is not only most qualified and is the best fit for the job. I would also look at who has the most potential to continue to grow and rise to higher areas of responsibility. There is a lot of competition out there. Two different panel members can ask the same question with two different thought processes and a different expectation of what they consider the "right" answer!

During the interview process, both sides are trying to understand what the other side's expectations are. A panel process helps to flatten out the curve and eliminate or reduce the individual biases to find the very best candidate for the positions that are being offered.

Lifer:

Yes there certainly is. And for the most part I have no regrets for all the years I worked at UPS.

Just about all of the interviews I had while in the promotion pool was for various IE positions (which were not related to my degree). I was encouraged by my management team to try to fit the mold and be a yes man for the interviews and accept the position right away if it was offered to me. If the position was offered to me and I didn't accept, I would be black listed (as you mentioned). I saw many issues with this, mainly being unfair to me as well as deceptive to the interviewer. I was not sure if there was some number that my management team was trying to meet for employee development, but something just didn't seem right. After all, it was my career on the line, not theirs. So I went to every interview my management team suggested and I took the honest route. I didn't try to fit the mold or tell the interviewer what he wanted to hear. If the job was right for me, then the right things would happen. If it didn't it, no worries. At the very least I got some very good interview practice.

HazMatMan

I agree, if this was a driver complaining about long hours i'm sure management posters would be saying "If you don't like it, quit"

W

westsideworma

I agree, if this was a driver complaining about long hours i'm sure management posters would be saying "If you don't like it, quit"

I've never said that once to a driver. I see them out there at friggin 8 o clock at night while I'm out grocery shopping or whatever and I think its ridiculous. It could be a real 8 or 9 hr a day job if UPS wanted it to be...(drivers that is) they just don't apparently. However, they'll complain up and down about drivers being over allowed which is crap seeing as none of the ones complaining could likely do it any better (if anything worse).

UPS Lifer

I personally don't think non-management or management should have to work long hours. Consistently working 10 plus hours a day is not healthy for anyone. If you have to do a short stint for a definable period on time with some allowance for time off .... OK! Sometimes we have to do what is necessary.

Not sure if everyone understands the cost of a driver. There is a break even point. It may be a protected secret but it is out there! Sometimes it is more cost effective to pay overtime than to add a driver. Each building is a little different based on the average driver wage and seniority. My guess it is somewhere around 10 hours. But that is only a guess!

1. additional driver & training costs

2. package car
3. additional building space to accomodate package car
4. benefits

Other things to consider
5. need for additional loader
6. supervision

7. eventually you will have to increase the size of a building or add another one
8. more support for the operation
9. there is additional liability or risk associated with the above factors
10. Once you add a new building than you change the package distribution network and the configuration of driver routes.

There is a lot to consider. I know it seems easy to add one or two drivers.
Do that nationwide and see what happens!!!!

I am sure I missed something. Feel free to add to it!

The positive side of this is that the cost of adding a driver is not prohibitive... there is just a lot to consider!!!!