Fuel Prices

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by But Benefits Are Great!, Jun 26, 2008.

1. But Benefits Are Great!

But Benefits Are Great! Just Words On A Screen

Fuel Costs were up horrendously for the 1st qtr
    Fuel 1st Qtr 2007 - $616,000,000
    Fuel 1st Qtr 2008 - $950,000,000

2. feeder53

feeder53 ADKtrails

Everyone that uses fuel is affected, and UPS will be one of them. But UPS and all the other package Delivery services will pay the same price.....UPS has the history, reputation and lets hope leadership to pull ahead of the pack

3. Fnix

Fnix Active Member

Fuel 1st Qtr 1987 - $16,000,000
    Fuel 1st Qtr 2018 - $1,950,000,000

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Fuel 1st Qtr 2018 - Zero

Why? UPS will have converted its entire fleet to hydrogen, which has zero emission exhaust (water) and has advanced the technology to the point where each vehicle regenerates its own fuel source throughout the day, which means that each vehicle would only need an initial fill and then would be self-sufficient.

5. But Benefits Are Great!

...groan... That's, uh, not how it works.

The energy needed to seperate water into its' common elements is more than the energy produced by combining (burning) them. Physics, conservation of energy. No such thing as a car that runs on water.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

BBAG, read the entire post then reply.

I said that the vehicles would run on HYDROGEN, whose exhaust is water. The rest was just science fiction stuff I was making up as I was typing but that sounded good.

7. But Benefits Are Great!

Oh... Nevermind..

8. hseofpayne

hseofpayne Guest

You're right, just ask ole Teddy Kennedy!

9. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

Is a hydrogen car anywhere near in the future?

10. UpstateNYUPSer

Less than 5 years from what I have read. Only problem will be the refueling stations, or lack of.

11. But Benefits Are Great!

Hydrogen will (eventually) be used in fuel cells, which generate electricity, which will run electric hub-motors.. It will never be used to burn in an engine like gasoline is today.

Fuel cells are too expensive. The technology is there now, just no hydrogen infrastructure, plus the cells are more expensive than plutonium.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

BBAG, you may want to research the topic a bit more before you reply. A hydrogen prototype has been developed and is being tested and optimistic predictions put intial production and availability at 5 yrs, probably closer to 10.

13. New Englander

New Englander New Member

Are you telling me I won't need to pee in a bottle anymore!

14. UpstateNYUPSer

Not unless you really, true want to then, by all means, piss away!!

15. pkg-king

pkg-king New Member

Rumor has it we're presently testing a feeder that runs on hydrogen, I'm not at liberty to say where.

16. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk New Member

So how is hydrogen gathered for mass fuel uses? BBAG brought up a good point it takes a lot of energy to separate hydrogen from water, if those plants were fueled by oil, well that wouldn't help us much.

17. hseofpayne

hseofpayne Guest

18. Coldworld

Coldworld Well-Known Member

how about horse and buggy, like on that "carless" island somewhere. How about golfcarts pulling little carts behind them for the tight residential deliveries. Is a battery powered package car so futuristic? What makes this technology so hard to apply?

19. But Benefits Are Great!

Using hydrogen will not save money - it is horrendously more expensive to produce, store, transport, than oil. It is "Green", no pollution for the end user, which gives all the environmentalists woodies.

Electrolysis, which takes electricity. Lots of it.

20. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk New Member

If only we could mine He3 from space...