Full Time Driver in need of help or advice

Daniel Bryant

You are not laid off--to be laid off means you would be sitting on your butt on the couch watching TV. You are guaranteed 8 hours and they are giving you 8 hours, albeit not consecutively. That is the deal when you are a FT bid cover.
You are wrong again but keep trying. That is not even the point of my thread, a ft employee that is having to work 2 pt jobs to get his or her 8 hrs is considered a laid off employee. Trust me, I've already spoke with our main union rep and that is union's stance. Being laid off in contract terms doesn't just mean not working, its being removed from your job classification.

Daniel Bryant

You should never have to work local sort if you have already worked preload and then went out on a route for the rest of the day. You need 10 hours inbetween shifts for DOT. I am in the same position as you and I get screwed out of driving because I only have 6hours off inbetween shifts. Today my center manager told me to quit coming in for local sort if they call me
If someone under you drives you file and you will get paid for that time and your 7 days will start over. I've already been down that road too, that piss poor planning on their part, not your fault.

Daniel Bryant

Needs more info. How long have you been full time (not that it really matters); since you are the bottom FT driver you are a "cover driver," a permanent one, but one still the same. As bottom seniority, you get to take the route nobody wants. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ONLY PERTAINS TO SOUTHERN REGION SUPPLEMENT, DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE IF YOU ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THIS:

If you are a Full time driver, you need to come it at a full time driver start time unless instructed by management. Once you're there you get paid for 8 hours, unless you were told you needed to displace 2 people from 2 shifts. Now, if they lay you off more than 7 days, you need to be displacing a morning and and evening person, then you can claim your classification is a 22.3 inside/inside job so you only take a couple dollars hit. But the bottom line is, unless they tell you in advance 24 hours (or according to supplement) you can claim all time.

Been full time for 4 years now. Yes I am in the south. They cut it so close to keep me off the road, if 1 call in or 1 extra route has to be cut they tell me after preload I have to drive. Which really I kinda have to, to keep my rate up. Every other full time driver in our building will come in and send someone home if need be. Sometimes there are 2 extra sometimes zero extra and I'm the only one ever laid off. Just trying to find a way to fight the day to day and week to week changing they are doing to me. Also telling me when I change jobs/going to sorts, I lose all my seniority and the lowest man on the belt. When can I look up the 22.3 you are talking about?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
You must work in a small center, right now in my center its all hands on deck with summer vacation its every tough to get a day off right now. We also have 3 casual working. Does your center have casual drivers working to cover summer vacation over you?

Daniel Bryant

You must work in a small center, right now in my center its all hands on deck with summer vacation its every tough to get a day off right now. We also have 3 casual working. Does your center have casual drivers working to cover summer vacation over you?
Yes we run anywhere from about 25 to 30 routes a day. No one under me drives anymore since I was paid on a grievance for that a little while back. Been fighting this for about a year now and that's why its so frustrating, we are in the middle of the vacation time and they are still doing anything and everything to keep me off road. Last thing I wanna do is leave. Heck I like my job, but man! Preload and local sort will kill you, throw in a drop in pay rate too!!! AAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Daniel Bryant

are supervisors delivering or doing any work? just asking...cuz they seem to be everywhere...file grievances on everything
On the sort no doubt! Hard for me to know with the guys on the road. I know they are moving misloads all day everyday. That was my next question, them moving misloads, is that something I can go at?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
On the sort no doubt! Hard for me to know with the guys on the road. I know they are moving misloads all day everyday. That was my next question, them moving misloads, is that something I can go at?

You sure can. Well I hope things get better for soon you hang in there.

probellringer

if they are doing offroutes-and everyone is overdispatched-----who you think is going around helping? if everyone worked together..and stopped helping each other-you would be working..and there would be job creation...sounds like you guys need a meeting

Daniel Bryant

if they are doing offroutes-and everyone is overdispatched-----who you think is going around helping? if everyone worked together..and stopped helping each other-you would be working..and there would be job creation...sounds like you guys need a meeting
100% correct! Everyone in our center moans and complains everyday about excess work but won't do a thing about it. We have maybe 5 guys on 9.5 list and only about 2 who will actually file on it. The rest just piss and moan everyday and go out and work 12hrs without doing a thing about it. I've begged and pleaded with guys about getting on that list and have just about give up. This is a fight I'm gonna go on alone no doubt, or have been on. They will all hate me and I will have the ole target on my back but heck what else can they do to me? I do my job well and do it the way it is supposed to be done.

Daniel Bryant

It is a ongoing joke in our center about how I am screwed yet none of our guys stick together. Everyone knows and everyone talks to me about it but if its not something that happens to anyone else, so kinda me against the world is what it feels like sometimes.

brownrod

Driving after the sort is not really the issue but coming back and working night sort and preload is killer. Also being the only ft driver that has to do it? Everyone else comes in and sends someone home. I'm also a single parent so both shifts are almost impossible for me.

Talk to your steward and your BA. You may not be obligated to work any of the sorts. Where I am were are not obligated to work preload or night sort.

But then you could end up in a worse situation. You could be laid off for weeks at a time with absolutely no work! Which is what happened to some of our drivers in the last couple years.

brownrod

Suck it up huh? Fwiw I've been with this company for 14 years and was a cover driver for 5 and never came off the road for the sort not one day. I've been full time for 4 and have already topped out in pay as a full time driver. Not until recently has the lay off came into affect because ups isn't making any money and the volume isn't there. Well that's garbage the stops per car are insane and the work is there. Are you treated differently than every other person in your job classification? Does your pay rate drop because you did a different job more than 7 days? I'm not a cover driver and they can't treat me like one. I came to this board for good advice from fellow upser's, didn't know I would get a ton of tough guy talk.

What exactly is your question?

Read your contract.
Work as directed.
If their directions violate the contract then file a grievance.
How hard is that?

Daniel Bryant

What exactly is your question?

Read your contract.
Work as directed.
If their directions violate the contract then file a grievance.
How hard is that?
Just trying to figure out the best way to fight this. I understand that being on the bottom is on the bottom BUT being the only ft person that ever has to do it? Again there are other full time drivers that are not needed as well as me but they get to come in and find a home/send someone home. Some days 2 or 3 extra some days 0 extra and I'm the only one forced to wrok the sort and is laid off.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Just trying to figure out the best way to fight this. I understand that being on the bottom is on the bottom BUT being the only ft person that ever has to do it? Again there are other full time drivers that are not needed as well as me but they get to come in and find a home/send someone home. Some days 2 or 3 extra some days 0 extra and I'm the only one forced to wrok the sort and is laid off.

looks to me like management just dosen't like you.

Daniel Bryant

Talk to your steward and your BA. You may not be obligated to work any of the sorts. Where I am were are not obligated to work preload or night sort.

But then you could end up in a worse situation. You could be laid off for weeks at a time with absolutely no work! Which is what happened to some of our drivers in the last couple years.

This is actually what I was thinking was my best bet. Tell them I'm just gonna take the lay off, there is no way they can make it happen with me being laid off, they have to use me too much. I have other ways to make money so it wouldn't be so bad, I'm thinking this is what I should do. Anyone took the lay off or have any knowledge of this?

LiB

you're not really a 22.3 but it would be similar to the job you are performing.

But if you get laid off from driving more than one week you need to check if management told you. If not they violated the contract.
Second if there is a person more junior than you in ANY full time position such as 22.3 or the likes, you can displace them.
If you are doing a split morning/night shift you are paid the appropriate wages for the job you are performing. I would argue that I am performing a 22.3 inside/inside job, therefore i should be getting paid that rate of pay.

As a management person playing devil's advocate here, I could be wrong. If a resolution hasn't been found yet management is just not trying. A supervisor's job is not that hard, heck, business manager is not that hard. There are headaches here and there, but common sense should prevail in any case. This shouldn't be happening in the first place because it's not that hard to get someone to go home and take a layoff for the day. If they are overstaffed, well, that is just poor planning.