Full-time Part-timers

Anybody interested in a job at Ups should become a part-time air driver. We have air-drivers who start between 5 and 6 some are done at 12 while others are done between 3 and 4. Paid Lunch, overtime, or ground pay they make out either way. Some are smart enough to see work in the hub and request they perform the work. One center has the 22.3's and one has all the part-time air drivers. This has been going on for years. You might not get the pension or full benefitsa but the lack of headache is worth it!!

fethrs

First off welcome to bc from me:happy2:
All the pt air drivers in my building are laid off, they are not driving at all if any and no ground or over 6 hours. They get hours in the hub in sunrise or twilight if they can. It wouldn't fly in my building at all. They took ground deliveries away from them a while back too.:surprised:

Our barn is still very busy. This has confused everyone. How come these part-timers are accomadated? I'd like to get my kids off the bus, see them, or eat with them during the week. Okay so it's only good business sense to pay somebody less to do the same work but why can't these Preload/Shuttle/AM Air/AIR/Ground part-timers be forced to full-time positions? Especially when one worker over 300 hours for the month of January????

Overpaid Union Thug

I was a full-time part-timer for around 3 years. I eventually went full-time and those three years of working 40+ hours every week made it easier to justify adding more full-timers to our center.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Being the first and oldest air driver in my region lets me confirm that being an air driver is an excellent building block for a UPS career.
Since my pension is based on total hours worked per year (1800 = full pension year credit ) . All those past years I was a Pt , yet gaining 12 months credit.
I worked many years for $10/hr, my top payrate was only $11.64 ( a newly hired actually got $13.50 ) (because of several contracts that forgot about the air drivers, I hardly got raises and only one cost-of-living ), yet I continued to work.
When I reach the min. age ( pension reform rules ) of 57 yrs. , I will have over 31 yrs pension credit.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Especially when one worker over 300 hours for the month of January????

January has 31 days. Subtract the 4 Sundays leaves 27. There were 5 Saturdays but you did not say whether or not he delivered Saturday NDA so we will leave these. Subtract 1 day for New Years Day and that leaves us 26 (or 21 if no Sat.)

300 hours worked over the course of 26 days is an average of 11+ hours. 300 hours worked over the course of 21 days is an average of 14+ hours.

Do you expect us to believe that you have part-timers in your "barn" (I hate that term) averaging 11+ hour days?