Wage & Benefit Perspective for Part-Timers

InsideUPS

For those UPS part timers that are disgruntled with their wage increases, I would like to share what our son is making as a double board certified physician working on his third fellowship specialty. Our son is now 30 y.o. and has spent his entire life studying and making sacrifices which includes over $300,000 of medical school loan debt plus 8 years of no wages. (4 years undergrad/4 years medical school). As a resident physician, he was making approximately $65,000 per year. As a PGY6 in his current 2nd fellowship, he is making the equivalent of $35.57/hour. He pays for health benefits with much higher deductibles than we part timers have with TeamCare. He has no pension and a 4% match on his tax deferred savings plan. He has 2 weeks vacation time. Our daughter who has a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology (Genetics) was making only $65,000 per year as a professor in California. Fortunately her career path has changed as did her place of residency and she is now doing much better.

Summary: For a part-time job that requires no college degree (no college debt), has full time health care benefits, 7 weeks paid vacation, 2 option days, paid holidays, and a pension that now tops out at $2450 for 35 years, I would be more than happy with what the current TA has gained for you and possibly your family. As a part-timer, you have many opportunities to make additional income. spend time with your family or both. You as a part-timer are given something much more valuable than money which is TIME. Time cannot be replaced but money can. Full timers spend significant time away from their family especially when trying to achieve that 30 or 35 year retirement. Their family is often grown and gone by the time they retire. Please believe me when I say that we have nothing to gain by voting down this TA IMHO.

FWIW, current young part-timers should know that the multi-tier part-time wage occurred back in 1985 when many part-timers preferred to take a $500 bonus ($1000 for full-time) and accept the agreement that lowered the wages for the "unborn" (new employees). Prior to that, we older (red circled) part-timers made and still do receive a driver rate of pay. Our union dues are equal to that of a full time driver.

PT Car Washer

For those UPS part timers that are disgruntled with their wage increases, I would like to share what our son is making as a double board certified physician working on his third fellowship specialty. Our son is now 30 y.o. and has spent his entire life studying and making sacrifices which includes over $300,000 of medical school loan debt plus 8 years of no wages. (4 years undergrad/4 years medical school). As a resident physician, he was making approximately $65,000 per year. As a PGY6 in his current 2nd fellowship, he is making the equivalent of $35.57/hour. He pays for health benefits with much higher deductibles than we part timers have with TeamCare. He has no pension and a 4% match on his tax deferred savings plan. He has 2 weeks vacation time. Our daughter who has a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology (Genetics) was making only $65,000 per year as a professor in California. Fortunately her career path has changed as did her place of residency and she is now doing much better.

Summary: For a part-time job that requires no college degree (no college debt), has full time health care benefits, 7 weeks paid vacation, 2 option days, paid holidays, and a pension that now tops out at $2450 for 35 years, I would be more than happy with what the current TA has gained for you and possibly your family. As a part-timer, you have many opportunities to make additional income. spend time with your family or both. You as a part-timer are given something much more valuable than money which is TIME. Time cannot be replaced but money can. Full timers spend significant time away from their family especially when trying to achieve that 30 or 35 year retirement. Their family is often grown and gone by the time they retire. Please believe me when I say that we have nothing to gain by voting down this TA IMHO.

FWIW, current young part-timers should know that the multi-tier part-time wage occurred back in 1985 when many part-timers preferred to take a $500 bonus ($1000 for full-time) and accept the agreement that lowered the wages for the "unborn" (new employees). Prior to that, we older (red circled) part-timers made and still do receive a driver rate of pay. Our union dues are equal to that of a full time driver.
Another company troll wanting everyone to vote yes. Too many inaccuracies. It was 1982 not 1985 and PT was a small minority of Union voters. Even now I make about $1.50 less then top rate delivery drivers. Yes my Union dues are equal to FT dues with less then a half the hours paid.

LVD*4*LIFE

Agreed. Well said. I am a career part timer by choice. A “long timer” if you will.
Very fortunate to make what I do and enjoy the benefits.

Wait, how tf is your 30yo son a PGY6 with four years of undergrad, and already completed a residency and a fellowship? Is he Doogie :censored2:ing Howser?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Sounds like your son isn't very good at what he does...

I used to make $100k 25 years ago, farting in wiring closets, screwing up Cisco routers, & goofing off on the network.

That $65k for a doctor's salary, has to be BS.
$65k as a resident is very real. Making it through 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, a residency, working into and completing a fellowship and then starting a second fellowship by 30? Not unless he graduated high school at 15 bro.

anonymous23456

I used to make $100k 25 years ago, farting in wiring closets, screwing up Cisco routers, & goofing off on the network.

That $65k for a doctor's salary, has to be BS.
Fast forward to 2023, the job you had 25 years ago isn't paying the same amount today. Networking admin and communications tech jobs have become low paying jobs. In the tech industry, your skills become obsolete every few years. They don't care what you did 5 years ago. Do you have the latest skills today or not? They also want a long list of skills. However, they will take the fake resume from India. Cheap wage is the exception. lol

Last edited:

anonymous23456

Race to the bottom and all professional fields are affected. Most of you don't care or don't know because it doesn't apply to UPS FT and PT. It is really irrelevant to UPS jobs. It only matters to other people (may be in your family).

InsideUPS

Another company troll wanting everyone to vote yes. Too many inaccuracies. It was 1982 not 1985 and PT was a small minority of Union voters. Even now I make about $1.50 less then top rate delivery drivers. Yes my Union dues are equal to FT dues with less then a half the hours paid.
Far from a company troll but if that makes you feel better go right ahead PT Car Washer. Maybe a few years off on the transition of pt tiered wages but not off for me at least on what my wages are. Equal to that of a FT driver in our area.

InsideUPS

Wait, how tf is your 30yo son a PGY6 with four years of undergrad, and already completed a residency and a fellowship? Is he Doogie :censored2:ing Howser?
FYI...... and for your clarification.... 1) 4 years undergrad 2) 4 years Medical School 3) 4 years residency 4) 1 year Fellowship training 5) Currently working on 2nd Fellowship year. Board Certified in Specialty - Board Eligible in 2nd Fellowship - Working on 2nd Fellowship and will be board eligible July 1 2024. If you know anything about the pathway through medicine.....that is not Doogie Howser as you referred to.

anonymous23456

Here is another sad fact. As soon as your Dr son joins an HMO hospital like Kaiser Permanente, they will push for him to make quota "How many patients you see this month? Not enough...we have a number that you should meet". If he starts a private practice, his insurance premium is extremely high due to medical malpractice lawsuits. Sometimes, it is easier just doing a job and let the "stupid management worrying about business issues".