Getting out of the Courier Game

After a few years hustling cans at the ramp, I ended up grabbing a courier gig and one year in found it's not for me. Looking towards getting back into AGFS, but at the moment am tied down by a location commit, which limits me to only bidding on waivered positions.

I have a DOT Physical coming up. If I botch that, does it put me into limbo to the point that I get to bid on something new, or is botching it terminable?

Really, I'm getting sick with a lot of things the company is doing these days (which seems to be a common thread around here). But trying to figure out all my options before I fully jump ship.

Thanks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
After a few years hustling cans at the ramp, I ended up grabbing a courier gig and one year in found it's not for me. Looking towards getting back into AGFS, but at the moment am tied down by a location commit, which limits me to only bidding on waivered positions.

I have a DOT Physical coming up. If I botch that, does it put me into limbo to the point that I get to bid on something new, or is botching it terminable?

Really, I'm getting sick with a lot of things the company is doing these days (which seems to be a common thread around here). But trying to figure out all my options before I fully jump ship.

Thanks.

Love the username. You need to go into feeders...at UPS.

Love the username. You need to go into feeders...at UPS.

The UPS guy on my route keeps trying to get me to come over. If I could transfer seniority I'd do it in a heartbeat. Dude's pulling 34 bucks an hour regular and getting 50 hours a week. Say what you will about unions (and I generally say a lot), but I'd drop some union dues without question for that gig.

Shiiiiiit son.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The UPS guy on my route keeps trying to get me to come over. If I could transfer seniority I'd do it in a heartbeat. Dude's pulling 34 bucks an hour regular and getting 50 hours a week. Say what you will about unions (and I generally say a lot), but I'd drop some union dues without question for that gig.

Shiiiiiit son.

You'll bust your butt. There is zero future at Express, so I'd go over, especially if you have someone who can advocate for you.

mcutrono

Id go to UPS in a heartbeat. The garbage ive been getting lately has blown out my truck. Dressers..cabinets...sofas...barbeques. $34 an hour? id do 180 stops in an area thats 1/4 size of my area. Fedex is a thankless JOB. I stress the word "job" because it's not a career. RUN!

Billy_Baconhead

I would go over to UPS. I came from UPS years ago. Forget the seniority at Express. Within 3 years at UPS, you will be making $34.xx per hour WITH a pension. Which is now around $4k a month (in a mid-western state). You will get 2+ more weeks of vacation at UPS with 25+ years. Fedex your capped out at 5 weeks. Seriously, if the UPS driver you know can get you in....GO NOW as this is the "free period" for off the street drivers. Bust your "arse" for 30 days and they will keep you. I assure you....

Option #2.... Here is what I did. I used fedex for the tuition reimbursement and got a "Healthcare field degree". I'm much more happy now. I was in the package car industry for 17 years (I started young). I make UPS wages with outstanding benefits. Plus, I actually get a sense of self- fulfillment from my job. Delivering a package can only go so far.

MassWineGuy

Being a pt courier fits my needs because I just need a little extra income on top of my wife's salary.

If you can get into UPS and you can tolerate it, definitely do it. No benefits for the first year, though.

TheKid99

I left FedEx Express making $17.22/hr to make $10.10/hr as a package handler at UPS.

I literally have no regrets. I actually won a full time permanent driving position but i was DQ because something showed up on my driving record. I have to wait until December which is fine. I went to UPS at the right time. Everyone is retiring. When the next bid sheet goes up I know I will win because of my seniority.

Actually it wasn't a tough decision for me.. I have no responsibilities so why not?

Only thing FedEx outbeat UPS is the all you can eat BBQ.

FedEx Express BBQ > UPS BBQ

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Id go to UPS in a heartbeat. The garbage ive been getting lately has blown out my truck. Dressers..cabinets...sofas...barbeques. $34 an hour? id do 180 stops in an area thats 1/4 size of my area. Fedex is a thankless CHORE. I stress the word "chore" because it's not a job. RUN!

fixed it for you.

Also, we are not paid a wage. It's an allowance.

VWNx8nU.gif

DontThrowPackages

Thanks.
Ask management if you can be released from you commitment. I've seen an employee release from one position to choose another. This person was "Well Liked" by a manager and was free to take another gig at a station very near the persons home. If you aren't released, never forget it and move on when possible.