Global supply chain by Amazon.

Overpaid Union Thug

Actually I would say ups is just the opposite. Almost all planning is done on a long term scale and very little on a day to day basis. At least as far as Atlanta goes.
I was actually referring to the Amazon account specifically. I've read several articles where someone speaking for UPS has stated that we are the obvious best choice for Amazon. The arrogance in those statements is so telling. Plus, the obsession, and requirement, to please the stockholders would dictate that the potential loss of such a big account, as well as the resulting layoffs, would be bad publicity and would scare the crap out of corporate. Yes, UPS thinks long term but there decisions and methods are questionable.

Have you ever worked anywhere besides UPS? Every company has its flaws. Not every company makes the right business moves and make bad decisions from time to time. It's everywhere not just UPS

What the hell are you babbling about?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I was actually referring to the Amazon account specifically. I've read several articles where someone speaking for UPS has stated that we are the obvious best choice for Amazon. The arrogance in those statements is so telling. Plus, the obsession, and requirement, to please the stockholders would dictate that the potential loss of such a big account, as well as the resulting layoffs, would be bad publicity and would scare the crap out of corporate. Yes, UPS thinks long term but there decisions and methods are questionable.
?

Actually internally, our rating with Amazon is higher than any other shipper. This is based off Amazon's own ratings data. That's probably what ups was referring to when making that comment.

Scuba Steve

Id worry more about the USPS than Amazon hauling their own packages.

It took a while but somebody at the USPS realized that b2b and Residential packages are where it's at a couple years ago. They are doing it cheaper then UPS. Tracking at the USPS has gotten much better. They do a lot of last mile any how for UPS. They use Fed Ex to haul their air. UPS doesn't get that revenue...

I saw two weeks ago two flat beds hauling new USPS Sprinter vans. Much bigger than the standard LLV they use to use. They are spending 2 billion on new larger vehicles to deliver packages.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The problem is Amazon is losing sight of its core business. Retail is very cut throat. Stocking a package car full of "potential " orders of popular items? That could either be good or bad. The shrink and theft on that using cheap contractors could hurt them.

They'd also need huge trucks to hold that inventory on top of delivering already packed orders. They would be better off opening "Amazon stores" and using that as dispatch sites.

But I guess their profit margins are so huge that they could make this all cost effective. Oh wait....
I agree the package car full of items thing is a little funky. But diversifying isn't a bad thing. With retail being so cuthroat having other areas with a solid stream of revenue is a good thing. Their cloud and webhosting service brings in a ton of money.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

They are public statements. What do you expect them to say?

I doubt ups would be too worried about how layoffs and such would look. Also I doubt there would be too many. It's not like internet shopping is only growing on Amazon.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Id worry more about the USPS than Amazon hauling their own packages.

It took a while but somebody at the USPS realized that b2b and Residential packages are where it's at a couple years ago. They are doing it cheaper then UPS. Tracking at the USPS has gotten much better. They do a lot of last mile any how for UPS. They use Fed Ex to haul their air. UPS doesn't get that revenue...

I saw two weeks ago two flat beds hauling new USPS Sprinter vans. Much bigger than the standard LLV they use to use. They are spending 2 billion on new larger vehicles to deliver packages.
Yeah.... Want to talk about an antitrust issue

Scuba Steve

They need to spend a lot more than that. USPS has the biggest private fleet in the world.

Just this year.
Estimated upwards of $6.5 billion total. The USPS is figuring $35,000 per vehicle. So that equates to 185,714 new package cars that they have started taking delivery of...

Last edited: