Global warming

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Bachmann-10-20-11-color.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Via WaPo:
Antarctic sea ice has grown to a record large extent for a second straight year, baffling scientists seeking to understand why this ice is expanding rather than shrinking in a warming world.

On Saturday, the ice extent reached 19.51 million square kilometers, according to data posted on the National Snow and Ice Data Center Web site.

That number bested record high levels set earlier this month and in 2012 (of 19.48 million square kilometers). Records date back to October 1978. [...]
But no one seems to have a conclusive answer as to why winds are behaving this way.

“I haven’t seen a clear explanation yet of why the winds have gotten stronger,” Zhang told Michael Lemonick of Climate Central.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Al’s just upset his global warming money-making scheme is coming to an end.
Via The Hill:
Former vice president Al Gore on Monday called for making climate change “denial” a taboo in society.
“Within the market system we have to put a price on carbon, and within the political system, we have to put a price on denial,” Gore said at the Social Good Summit New York City.

“It is simply not acceptable for major companies to mimic the unethical strategy of the tobacco companies in presenting blatantly false information in order to protect a business model,” Gore added, alleging that’s what some oil and coal companies are doing.

“There needs to be a political price for denial.” [...]
He urged attendees to challenge denial of climate change in conversations in families and communities and elsewhere. “We can win this conversation and winning a conversation can make all the difference,” Gore said. “Don’t let denial go unchallenged.”

Gore noted how racism and later homophobia have become increasingly unacceptable.

He pointed to news accounts of an instance in which two gay men were subjected to anti-gay insults by another customer in line at an Ohio pizza spot.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

roadrunner2012

Troll
From your article:

A draft summary that was leaked to the media reported that scientists were "95% confident" that human activity was responsible for more than half of the increase in average global surface temperature between 1951 and 2010. But critics openly scoff, considering the IPCC's poor record for predicting short-term temperature increases.

I will not get into the leaks, or the people behind them, but does 95% sound like a good bet?
Global warming 'hiatus' puts climate change scientists on the spot Los Angeles Times

The panel, a United Nations creation that shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore, hopes to brief world leaders on the current state of climate science in a clear, unified voice. However, experts inside and outside the process say members probably will engage in heated debate over the causes and significance of the so-called global warming hiatus.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
From your article:

A draft summary that was leaked to the media reported that scientists were "95% confident" that human activity was responsible for more than half of the increase in average global surface temperature between 1951 and 2010. But critics openly scoff, considering the IPCC's poor record for predicting short-term temperature increases.

I will not get into the leaks, or the people behind them, but does 95% sound like a good bet?

I think this quote sums it up pretty well.. "This unpredicted hiatus just reflects the fact that we don't understand things as well as we thought," said Roger Pielke Jr., a professor of environmental studies at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Tony, If you choose to ignore the effects humans have on the planet, as inconsequential, or as great as they may be, that is fine.

Proselytizing that we should not try our damnedest to make the planet a better place is irresponsible, IMHO.

To ignore what we have done to the planet in the last 50 years is defying reason.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
rr,

Where did I post such nonsense? I posted a global warming article in a global warming thread for informational purposes.

​ It's from the Los Angeles Times, you should appreciate that!:happy-very:

roadrunner2012

Troll
rr,

Where did I post such nonsense? I posted a global warming article in a global warming thread for informational purposes.

​ It's from the Los Angeles Times, you should appreciate that!:happy-very:

I see. You post a speculative article without personal comment, and cherry pick quotes denying climate change, then walk back from that.

Do you believe in man made climate change? Yes or no?

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I see. You post a speculative article without personal comment, and cherry pick quotes denying climate change, then walk back from that. Do you believe in man made climate change? Yes or no?

"This unpredicted hiatus just reflects the fact that we don't understand things as well as we thought," Yeah super speculative...

Babagounj

Strength through joy
So rr can you please explain which has had a greater impact upon the Earth's climate .
A society at peace or one at war ?

roadrunner2012

Troll
Tony, so you just cherry pick one scientist's quote, a scientist who happens to be a 'climate skeptic', to illustrate a position that you don't share?

The 'hiatus' is only unpredicated if you ignore all climate statistics before 1998.

So what is it, do you believe climate change is caused by man, or just natural fluctuations over which we have no control?