Good article

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
One of my favorite bits from the article:

Too many CEOs, Martin said, “focus on the short-term, pump up stock prices, make a bundle, and leave the company before it all comes crashing down. That is not an ethical life, that is a miserable life.”

Yep, Fred S is rich but he's a miserable man and miserable excuse for one too.

bbsam

Staff member
And that's why I can't understand libertarian ideas. It all sounds good until you realize that short term goals and profits are all that matter to many.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And that's why I can't understand libertarian ideas. It all sounds good until you realize that short term goals and profits are all that matter to many.

I can hardly wait for the usual suspects to come on here and bash the article since The Atlantic is a liberal magazine. By the way, I'm a subscriber.

barnyard

KTM rider
Sweden I think it is, recently had a national referendum on top pay for executives. I recognize that limits like that would never fly in the US. I would like to see all stock bonuses held in trust until the employee is 62. I believe that if that type of compensation were regulated, we would see companies run well for the long term.

I think it would be very hard to pass that type of regulation, but certainly easier than trying to limit executive pay.

DontThrowPackages

Sweden I think it is, recently had a national referendum on top pay for executives. I recognize that limits like that would never fly in the US. I would like to see all stock bonuses held in trust until the employee is 62. I believe that if that type of compensation were regulated, we would see companies run well for the long term.

I think it would be very hard to pass that type of regulation, but certainly easier than trying to limit executive pay.
Maybe if this country was truly Christian, but we all know money is the true sacrilege.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe if this country was truly Christian, but we all know money is the true sacrilege.

Great observation on the hypocrisy of Christianity, particularly "Prosperity Christians". Jesus would be appalled at most of his followers. Reminds me of the scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", where Jones chooses the most simple cup, the one Jesus would have used.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Eh, this is a bonehead post...libertarian is generally anti-capitalist. You must have meant "Libertarian"

bbsam

Staff member
Eh, this is a bonehead post...libertarian is generally anti-capitalist. You must have meant "Libertarian"
I must admit, I don't know what the difference is, but from what I have seen in the past from you there is not much. I wouldn't :hangover:say anti-capitalist as much as idealistic with no way to get there from here.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I must admit, I don't know what the difference is, but from what I have seen in the past from you there is not much. I wouldn't :hangover:say anti-capitalist as much as idealistic with no way to get there from here.
A wiki of "libertarianism" would get you started.