Green check

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by poopsup, Jan 27, 2014.

1. MethodsMan

MethodsMan Active Member

Is it true you get taxed more for a green check or just a myth?
  2. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

It's not a myth.

Your get taxed on what you make not how you get paid..
  3. Kae3106

Kae3106 Active Member

It's a myth. Several years ago there was a payroll system enhancement that eliminated the taxing issues.

In the past, green checks were issued outside of the payroll system. The next week, the wages associated with that check would need to be added to the QTD and YTD wage and tax totals in the payroll system. It would get added to your current week's wages which sometimes increased the gross wages enough to trigger a slightly higher tax rate. Payroll was supposed to manually control the taxes which meant calculating the taxes on the green check and calculating the taxes on the current check then overriding the payroll system to match those totals.

Now, green checks are issued through the payroll system as a stand alone check and are not added together with the current week's payroll. In fact, if it's only a partial week payment, such as a missing day or a rate adjustment, the taxes will be lighter than if it was included on your regular paycheck because of the lower gross wage amount.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

My checks are blue.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. Future

Future Well-Known Member

So are your balls from what you post sometimes!LOL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. saintrick

saintrick Member

Article 17

All green checks will be taxed at the employee’s regular withholding
    tax rate.
  7. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

So i wonder what happened to those tax dollars that weren't caught by payroll. Did anybody get a refund?
  8. jaker

jaker trolling

All I know is when the retro checks starts coming I am changing my tax exempt number until I get it
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I do hope we will get at least two weeks notice on the retro checks do that we can plan ahead.
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List