Gross Leadership Failure

FedEx2000

Don't you have to say "I have a problem" before you commit a terminable offense? If I show-up drunk for work, do you really think I'd be able to say "I have a problem", and then go to treatment? That should also mean that I can get a DUI and then decide I need some help?

Preferably yes, but from what I have been told, if when you are first approached/questioned about it and say "I have a problem" you are protected by the ADA. Getting a
DUI is a completely different story, the ADA doesn't cover that, and in addition you probably spent at least a night in jail and received a ticket. Not the same thing at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Preferably yes, but from what I have been told, if when you are first approached/questioned about it and say "I have a problem" you are protected by the ADA. Getting a
DUI is a completely different story, the ADA doesn't cover that, and in addition you probably spent at least a night in jail and received a ticket. Not the same thing at all.

I guess the ADA trumps Gross Leadership Failure in the case that Radar mentioned. I know of a manager who got their job back after being fired for an alcohol-related offense, but they got busted first, then fired, then re-hired. Don't know how that happened.

snackdad

Well, I had to resurrect this tread after running into an ex co-worker today. He still works at FedEx in Northern California, I do not. We remain good friends as he always saw through all the BS FedEx tries to get away with.
I have another friend at the station that my wife and I are very close to along with his family. This other co-worker recently had a very very serious health event in his life. He has four children, wife and an extended family I consider myself a part of.
The current senior manager somehow thought that it seemed appropriate to joke about his health publicly on the belt to his co-workers despite the fact that this guy very nearly died in the emergency room. Her comments were so insensitive and so cruel that I find it hard to believe but knowing her flawed superior view of herself I can see it clearly. She USED this event to draw attention to herself and paint herself as better than this person because she was not in his shoes.
Her exact words were " Way to go _ _ _!, Triple Bypass!
Like she is so healthy and goes to the gym everyday that everyone in the world should emulate her. I think that she is very lucky to have a company like FedEx that allows the weak and shallow to rise to the level of their own incompetence despite the fact she is relying on a high school GED equivalent education and lacks any people skills at all. Go have another vat of wine and tell yourself in the mirror how powerful you are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, I had to resurrect this tread after running into an ex co-worker today. He still works at FedEx in Northern California, I do not. We remain good friends as he always saw through all the BS FedEx tries to get away with.
I have another friend at the station that my wife and I are very close to along with his family. This other co-worker recently had a very very serious health event in his life. He has four children, wife and an extended family I consider myself a part of.
The current senior manager somehow thought that it seemed appropriate to joke about his health publicly on the belt to his co-workers despite the fact that this guy very nearly died in the emergency room. Her comments were so insensitive and so cruel that I find it hard to believe but knowing her flawed superior view of herself I can see it clearly. She USED this event to draw attention to herself and paint herself as better than this person because she was not in his shoes.
Her exact words were " Way to go _ _ _!, Triple Bypass!
Like she is so healthy and goes to the gym everyday that everyone in the world should emulate her. I think that she is very lucky to have a company like FedEx that allows the weak and shallow to rise to the level of their own incompetence despite the fact she is relying on a high school GED equivalent education and lacks any people skills at all. Go have another vat of wine and tell yourself in the mirror how powerful you are.

There are few managers that are able to keep major health events under wraps, despite policies that prohibit disclosure of any employee health issue.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Isn't that the truth. But if someone gets fired for doing something stupid, they act like it's a matter of FredEx National Security.

Really?
At our place, they won't tell you who did what to get them fired. It's always a HUGE secret. So, we fire up the ole' rumor mill and just start drumming-up our own explanations as to why Johnny Joe got fired.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Really?
At our place, they won't tell you who did what to get them fired. It's always a HUGE secret. So, we fire up the ole' rumor mill and just start drumming-up our own explanations as to why Johnny Joe got fired.

It almost always comes out eventually anyway. I've heard all sorts of information I shouldn't have about all sorts of issues, from drinking problems to STD's, all from managers who couldn't keep their mouths shut. My station recently fired 2 people, and it was common knowledge within a day what they had done in oder to be terminated.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
My station recently fired 2 people, and it was common knowledge within a day what they had done in oder to be terminated.
Well then, let's hear it.
I would always rather learn from other people's mistakes.
I think if they announced why Johnny Joe got fired, that would be a REAL GOOD reminder to the rest of us not to do what Johnny Joe did.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well then, let's hear it.
I would always rather learn from other people's mistakes.
I think if they announced why Johnny Joe got fired, that would be a REAL GOOD reminder to the rest of us not to do what Johnny Joe did.

Too many wrecks.

bbsam

Staff member
You could take poetic liscence, maybe add some sex and blood to the details, just for fun of course.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My guess is that she used the "I have a problem" trump card. Anyone can use that, as long as it's the first thing you say when confronted about the issue.....then FedEx is required to provide assistance (i.e. People Help) to assist the employee in getting better. I believe it's a one time deal though, can't use it over and over.

This is true. I had to force one of my handlers to do this after I caught her using crystal meth when I was a teamlead at a customer location. Oddly enough, it worked and the company helped her get clean.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Really?
At our place, they won't tell you who did what to get them fired. It's always a HUGE secret. So, we fire up the ole' rumor mill and just start drumming-up our own explanations as to why Johnny Joe got fired

That's what I meant..lol Actually, the rumor mill is usually a really good way to get info!