Ground to absorb Express

dvalleyjim

My source tells me that there was a meeting with ISPs and it was thrown out there that Express would be contracted out in the not too distant future. I know that ground trucks are being re-branded to Express EX and they are now combining the HD and ground routes under one ISP. It seems that an ISP has to now have a continuous delivery area. This should take some time to achieve.

He said there is a hiring freeze at Express, long time drivers will be paid to retire and any new people will be part time.

Anyone heard anything? Perhaps just scuttlebutt, but.........

bacha29

My source tells me that there was a meeting with ISPs and it was thrown out there that Express would be contracted out in the not too distant future. I know that ground trucks are being re-branded to Express EX and they are now combining the HD and ground routes under one ISP. It seems that an ISP has to now have a continuous delivery area. This should take some time to achieve.

He said there is a hiring freeze at Express, long time drivers will be paid to retire and any new people will be part time.

It would be a logistics nightmare. No contractor would want to wait around half the morning for express boxes to arrive especially when dealing with problematic bad weather regional airports unless they build terminals right there at the airport. Given that the regulatory environment between ground and Express is quite different it would be hard to completely merge the two. But given the Trump promise of a greatly deregulated business environment X may be preparing for it and if it materializes decides to make the move when it may be it's one and only opportunity.

Purplepackage

Sounds good, then ground can take all this bull:censored2: Walmart freight that is almost doubling our normal volume for this time of year.

I better tell the new guy we just hired last week

Oldfart

Hiring freeze? FIRE YOUR SOURCE!!!!

Freight at our station has barely let up since Christmas. Several new hires recently. We can barely keep up.

It will be fine

Sounds good, then ground can take all this bull:censored2: Walmart freight that is almost doubling our normal volume for this time of year.

I better tell the new guy we just hired last week
We could use the volume. It's been dead around here.
I've said it before, it only makes sense to have Ground handle last mile for 2-3 day air freight and cut express down to part-time priority drivers. Probably not everywhere, but certainly in the metro areas.

Star B

White Lightening
Um.

1) we knew about the rebrand months ago.
2) we knew about the consolidation of HD/Ground months ago.

The only thing different is yet another rumor. We don't have a hiring freeze. For all we know (in regards to the rebrand)... it's some Memphis suit that never had to explain to a customer that Express can't touch ground and thinks that customers always read.

Let's actually flip this rumor around. How do we know that's it just not unification of the brand under Corporate control? The merging of the ISPs means less contracts to void/buy out when they decide to fold everything under Express? Less people to have to watch and say "you start fscking up and we void your buyout check, you hear?" I'm sure my flipped rumor is beyond far fetched... but it sounds just as good.

I've said it before, it only makes sense to have Ground handle last mile for 2-3 day air freight and cut express down to part-time priority drivers. Probably not everywhere, but certainly in the metro areas.

It would make sense, but then we would have to be FedEx. Not express, ground, etc. I would hate to be a customer having shipped something FXE and it show up FXG. I also know a few Express customers that won't touch ground with a ten-foot pole. I have a few biz stops that would be perfect for ground to completely take over... but for some reason, we handle it.

Oldfart

Impromptu poll: Considering the many layers of mendacity, which, in your opinion, is the most absurd assertion? I choose the above.
Give me a week for every year worked plus my next years vacation and watch me leave the building for good.

It will be fine

Um.

1) we knew about the rebrand months ago.
2) we knew about the consolidation of HD/Ground months ago.

The only thing different is yet another rumor. We don't have a hiring freeze. For all we know (in regards to the rebrand)... it's some Memphis suit that never had to explain to a customer that Express can't touch ground and thinks that customers always read.

Let's actually flip this rumor around. How do we know that's it just not unification of the brand under Corporate control? The merging of the ISPs means less contracts to void/buy out when they decide to fold everything under Express? Less people to have to watch and say "you start fscking up and we void your buyout check, you hear?" I'm sure my flipped rumor is beyond far fetched... but it sounds just as good.

It would make sense, but then we would have to be FedEx. Not express, ground, etc. I would hate to be a customer having shipped something FXE and it show up FXG. I also know a few Express customers that won't touch ground with a ten-foot pole. I have a few biz stops that would be perfect for ground to completely take over... but for some reason, we handle it.
They wouldn't consolidate into the higher cost operation. Most customers don't know or care who delivers as long as it's delivered. Fedex won't care about the customers that do leave because they'll be making bank on the ones that stay.

Oldfart

How about: "Thank you for your service. We hear Ground is hiring. Have a nice day."
Not me. I have a few more Major League Baseball stadiums to visit to complete my bucket list. Too many more fish to catch and way too many plans to work anywhere when I retire.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The board nearly blew up 5 years ago over a very similar rumor, complete with reliable sources and access to SeKrIt iNtErNaL DoCuMenTZZZZ. The rumor was pushed heavily for months by a guy whose name escapes me but r1a was his shorthand name, and a very prolific poster seconded his every word. Every last detail was discussed, from all the steps that would be taken to when those steps would be taken to what each step would accomplish to why each step would be taken and so on.

The big announcement was to be made at the annual shareholder meeting in September 2012 as part of a long-term $1.6 billion profit improvement plan.

Absolutely none of it turned out to be true, the r1a guy was nowhere to be found other than on the sides of milk cartons, and everyone else who was part of it looked silly.

bbsam

Staff member
The board nearly blew up 5 years ago over a very similar rumor, complete with reliable sources and access to SeKrIt iNtErNaL DoCuMenTZZZZ. The rumor was pushed heavily for months by a guy whose name escapes me but r1a was his shorthand name, and a very prolific poster seconded his every word. Every last detail was discussed, from all the steps that would be taken to when those steps would be taken to what each step would accomplish to why each step would be taken and so on.

The big announcement was to be made at the annual shareholder meeting in September 2012 as part of a long-term $1.6 billion profit improvement plan.

Absolutely none of it turned out to be true, the r1a guy was nowhere to be found other than on the sides of milk cartons, and everyone else who was part of it looked silly.
It was a lot of fun. The thread, I believe, was titled "Rampant Speculation"

bbsam

Staff member
Now one thing that does seem to have moved to near "light speed" is getting Saturday Ground/HD into "6 day operations". Since UPS announced, seems X is scrambling.

Star B

White Lightening
Now one thing that does seem to have moved to near "light speed" is getting Saturday Ground/HD into "6 day operations". Since UPS announced, seems X is scrambling.
How are we scrambling? We started the Saturday ground crap with HD delivering on T-Sat with ground on M-friend. The only difference was that peskly little H or G on the label and if it was a resi or commercial.

bbsam

Staff member
How are we scrambling? We started the Saturday ground crap with HD delivering on T-Sat with ground on M-friend. The only difference was that peskly little H or G on the label and if it was a resi or commercial.
Because it will ramp up to peak level line haul runs all year long.

I suppose the real pressure come from trying to get that done and at the same time get contractors to "co-mingle".