Ground to absorb Express

It will be fine

Because it will ramp up to peak level line haul runs all year long.

I suppose the real pressure come from trying to get that done and at the same time get contractors to "co-mingle".
At this point everyone I know that isn't already co-mingled has a plan to do so. They just aren't going ahead because to do so would be a paycut. They are waiting to be forced.

bbsam

Staff member
At this point everyone I know that isn't already co-mingled has a plan to do so. They just aren't going ahead because to do so would be a paycut. They are waiting to be forced.
I've seen how the force will come.

We recently got the map put out by engineering as a "suggestion" for the building. It's obvious that we will either get to that point on our own with time to adjust or on a date certain all agreements will come to an end (just like the beginning of ISP) and the same map will be put in front of us with the option: take it or leave.

I happen to be in a situation where the transition would be fairly easy (3 days bumpy, smooth sailing within 2 weeks).

bacha29

I've seen how the force will come.

We recently got the map put out by engineering as a "suggestion" for the building. It's obvious that we will either get to that point on our own with time to adjust or on a date certain all agreements will come to an end (just like the beginning of ISP) and the same map will be put in front of us with the option: take it or leave.

I happen to be in a situation where the transition would be fairly easy (3 days bumpy, smooth sailing within 2 weeks).
The conversion will be very difficult out in the rural areas that would depend on small regional airports. Likewise having to deal with noon or earlier deliveries. Then again X never gave an expletive deleted about the rural areas. Imagine what it's going to be like for a rural contractor taking on air box and having to try to " negotiate" a deal when you've got one guy and one shot at servicing a given area. That could be 8AM or 8PM when you finally get into that little piece of heaven.

bbsam

Staff member
The conversion will be very difficult out in the rural areas that would depend on small regional airports. Likewise having to deal with noon or earlier deliveries. Then again X never gave an expletive deleted about the rural areas. Imagine what it's going to be like for a rural contractor taking on air box and having to try to " negotiate" a deal when you've got one guy and one shot at servicing a given area. That could be 8AM or 8PM when you finally get into that little piece of heaven.
Whoa there horse. I'm still talking about Ground and HD. Express ain't happening any time soon.

bacha29

Because when you add the overlapping area to your CSA they lower your compensation. Lower annual, lower stop rate, lower piece rate. You make less money to do more work. No reason to do it until you have to.
I see the old adage "the less you do the more money you make" which described Ground in the past still applies today. Rest assured that if and when they can get the regulatory approval they want the consolidation of Ground and Express will begin immediately and the timeline contractors will be given to make that conversion may be very short indeed. Perhaps a few months to as little as a few weeks. X has known for years they have been leaving too much money on the table by not consolidating and will do so at the first opportunity.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

What conversion?

Oldfart

I see the old adage "the less you do the more money you make" which described Ground in the past still applies today. Rest assured that if and when they can get the regulatory approval they want the consolidation of Ground and Express will begin immediately and the timeline contractors will be given to make that conversion may be very short indeed. Perhaps a few months to as little as a few weeks. X has known for years they have been leaving too much money on the table by not consolidating and will do so at the first opportunity.
Haven't got a clue.

It will be fine

They don't have to do that much. They can just contract out deliveries of 2/3 day freight. They can start like they're doing with smartpost. If we're going there already we get the smartpost package too. That consolidation has actually been going well, I'm surprised. They just get dropped in and sorted like any other ground box.

bacha29

What conversion?
Let me bring you up to speed. DJV mentioned earlier that his sources tell him that the question of assigning certain shipping classes to ground that X used to handle is coming up for discussion again. We have been discussing the possibility of regulatory relief as promised by the Trump administration making it easier to accomplish that task. Go ahead and do what you always do and that is laugh and make fun of the rest of us but again if the actual regulatory relief is anywhere near what Trump has promised then all i can say is we'll see who has the last laugh.

Oldfart

Let me bring you up to speed. DJV mentioned earlier that his sources tell him that the question of assigning certain shipping classes to ground that X used to handle is coming up for discussion again. We have been discussing the possibility of regulatory relief as promised by the Trump administration making it easier to accomplish that task. Go ahead and do what you always do and that is laugh and make fun of the rest of us but again if the actual regulatory relief is anywhere near what Trump has promised then all i can say is we'll see who has the last laugh.
Is that the same source that said there was a hiring freeze at Express?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Let me bring you up to speed. DJV mentioned earlier that his sources tell him that the question of assigning certain shipping classes to ground that X used to handle is coming up for discussion again. We have been discussing the possibility of regulatory relief as promised by the Trump administration making it easier to accomplish that task.

"Sources" have been predicting that this is just around the corner ever since I joined BC in 2009.

Go ahead and do what you always do and that is laugh and make fun of the rest of us but again if the actual regulatory relief is anywhere near what Trump has promised then all i can say is we'll see who has the last laugh.

I don't know how regulatory relief would make it any more probable in the future considering that there aren't regulatory issues preventing it now.

Oldfart

"Sources" have been predicting that this is just around the corner ever since I joined BC in 2009.

I don't know how regulatory relief would make it any more probable in the future considering that there aren't regulatory issues preventing it now.
bacha has all the facts, figures and dynamics figured out. If he says it will happen, book it Dano. That man is brilliant.

bacha29

It all comes down to the cost of providing service. Given that the contractor or employee litigation appears to be winding down and if X is confident enough in the ability of contractors to handle additional classes of freight the far more attractive margins has to move them toward at least trying it .

Oldfart

It all comes down to the cost of providing service. Given that the contractor or employee litigation appears to be winding down and if X is confident enough in the ability of contractors to handle additional classes of freight the far more attractive margins has to move them toward at least trying it .
This mans mind is spectacular. We can all learn from him.