Guys who work in the FRIGID cold please reply

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
-20 wind chill last week. Sucked one day when they switched trucks on me and my jacket was in the other one. Rocked just a vest all day.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1420903219.295753.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
For real? You leave it run. I was considering this today, didn't get above 10, but I tried it the last freezing rain storm we got and got told about it.

I was having problems with the fuel gelling yesterday, so if the distance between 2 stops was very little, I had to let it idle or I had problems starting the truck. I only had to do it 4 times though, after that, it seemed to warm things up enough that it quit jelling in the filter.

I usually dress warm enough that I can leave the pass door open when I am doing in town resis. A bunch of years ago, my heater quit working on a -5 day. By the time I got to lunch, I was cold to the bone. I stopped at my lunch spot and the owner let me eat in her office so I could take off my layers and warm up my clothes. She also refilled my water bottles with hot water so I could finish my day.

The coldest day that I worked was -22 when we left the building and the high for the day was -15. Left 3 blank info notices because my pens froze up.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Worst part for me? Frozen pens. No DIADs back then. All paper and pen. FROZEN pens. Kept spares in defrost vent, kept current pens in shirt pocket to keep warm, which meant coat had to be partially unzipped. No release, 'cept Pennys and a few others. All sig, all the time.
I deal with that now on a mostly no-release route. Freezing rain is the worst because then the pen freezes up and the box you're trying to write on is wet. I usually try to make the service cross at least before I leave the truck in those cases, but day takes even longer.