Will my base car route be permanently dissolved in 2024?

What'dyabringmetoday???

I'll raise may hand on that one.

I was trained on one route and learned 25+ in the blind on paper and with maps.

No power steering, no automatic transmission, and the high step. After a while you figure it out.

Stop and get a cup of coffee and a donut. It's gonna be a long day. Oh well....

That's smart.

Don't want to look to good.... or look too bad.

:biggrin:
Thank you for making UPS what it is today!!

Anthropomorphic Cow

The best part about covering routes blind is going to all the pickups that have been closed for 10 years but the bid driver wants credit for the stop so they don’t say anything.

542thruNthru

Yo ease up I was there invited you to play golf but you had some bs reason you couldn’t go
That's true. You asked me to join your 3 some... on a Sunday! You can't golf and drink on a Sunday!! Also don't pretend like you flew out here from bum :censored2: Kansas to stay just 3 days....

Thought I was out of town the whole week and flew out that Sunday.:)

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hi fellow Teamsters. I started as a cover driver about 6 years ago, became a utility driver a couple of years after that and have had a base car route for a good few years now. I'm used to the route being cut on Mondays and even being cut a couple of random days during the week when the volume is allegedly too low to provide my guaranteed 8 hours but it was only in one day this week on Tuesday, which I guess makes sense because the volume that travels to the hub over the weekend seems like it warrants the base cars to be in.

I'm, of course, aware that the job cuts on the horizon have to do with a drop in volume and that it's supposedly going to mainly affect managers, sups, etc but also a lot of the lower seniority drivers and hub folks too. I'm very concerned that my base car route is going to be permanently dissolved because it happened to another fellow driver who had to go back into the utility mix, which would be an absolute nightmare for me.

No need for comparisons or of how long some of you had to wait to get a route, how some of you don't mind it or statements of how I just need to suck it up and deal with it, everyone has to put in time, blah blah blah, or even a statement like "you just want someone to say it's going to work out for you". Please spare me.

Can any one of my fellow Teamsters here chime in about how likely the higher ups might choose to permanently dissolve base car routes, especially in a hub in Los Angeles? Also, does hub management and dispatch determine how many and which routes to cut or are those decisions determined by their higher ups not physically in the hub? Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.
Yes it's gone

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I believe we had a paper map that wasnt always available and you could ask. Some areas were huge some smaller. They all had different time allowances. Think I put plenty of stops in the wrong area over the years. Not a big deal but that was how they looked for the stop when they had a “tracer”.
Precisely.

sle

Doing it to long term drivers in Canada who have been doing the same route for years.
No rhyme or reason. Grieve it and they do nothing. Supposed to be able to follow 50% of your run. But they are splitting it between several other cars with junior drivers.

Maybe that sloth of a CEO should take a paycut? 26 million base salary-seriously?

Brown Down

Doing it to long term drivers in Canada who have been doing the same route for years.
No rhyme or reason. Grieve it and they do nothing. Supposed to be able to follow 50% of your run. But they are splitting it between several other cars with junior drivers.

Maybe that sloth of a CEO should take a paycut? 26 million base salary-seriously?
That's what's happening here. My route isn't touched much on Saturday but surround routes are. So they split my route between them. Nothing the union can do as it's not 50 %

PoirotAtUPS

No, routes are not being dissolved because of the 12k job cuts. Routes are being cut because a 23 year-old with a degree is sitting in an office somewhere, far away from you, and making decisions without any real-world information regarding the matter.
He provides a good answer - to expand on the current reality for context. UPS dispatch is currently managed at a Center level - this is a major headache for corporate as they are cutting people as fast as they can. Literally every delivery / pick up must be planned by time of day and sequenced in each Center by a member of management.

Too many newbies don't understand this - every single address that is possible for a delivery/pick up must be sequenced and manually mapped to a loop. Then every volume level must be planned as decreases/increases occur. The reality is most centers have 3 or 4 scenarios planned - that's it.

Unfortunately there are no contractual guarantees around any of this - drivers have to bid for whatever number of routes/loops management offers up. Keep in mind this is all before the :censored2: that occurs when each route gets "optimized" by ORION.

Coming soon - ATL figures out how to use AI to truly :censored2: this up.