Have you been persecuted or treated unfairly by the Brown Cafe?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Lately there have been a couple of members posting about how they have been persecuted by this website. Some of these persecuted members have also implied that our moderators are suspect and untrustworthy. They believe our moderators are driven by some secret "agenda" to use moderation to muzzle their side of an issue while turning a blind eye to their opponents boorish behavior.

The irony is that the point of view which is supposedly being suppressed is often the same point of view that another member will claim to be unfairly supported.

Apparently the persecuted members do not want to believe that their posts have been moderated because of their own flaming or vulgarity. They prefer to believe that our site has an agenda which requires us to suppress their point of view. Most of the self proclaimed persecuted members have been contacted by moderators many times, yet they continue to make mean-spirited personal attacks on other members that express viewpoints or preferences that are different from their own.

A couple of these persecuted members have chosen to open entire threads portraying themselves as victims in an attempt to enlist other members to support their assertion that the moderators are prejudiced against them because of their job description, lifestyle, political bias or whatever.

Additionally some of these self proclaimed "Victims" also seem to believe that they are engaged in a power struggle against the moderators. By publicly accusing the moderator "Persecutors" they attempt to overpower them by making them the latest victims in the drama. Disrespecting the moderators in this way usually attracts more moderator attention, this reinforces their persecution complex... and around and around it goes...

Here's a snippet of a response I got to a TOS warning I sent out a week or 2 ago. It wasn't even an infraction,it was just a warning:

ban me now cause i am going to burn this site to the ground. i am going to contact all the people who have registered trade marked characters that are being used without their consent. after i send this message i am deleting this site off my computer. good luck with the law suits.

BTW, that member was actually banned, so he's not included in the self proclaimed persecuted users I mentioned. His pm is just an example of how angry people can get when their posts are moderated. He's not the first one that has threatened to take down the website.

So anyway, I know that I have managed to tick a lot of people off over the last decade...

Feel free to list your moderation grievances here. Maybe we can make a top 10 or something...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The sense of entitlement that some posters have here is laughable. It's a real shame that you even have to address this kind of nonsense in public.

P

pickup

I have never have been persecuted or treated unfairly here.

Although, I have had only one post deleted and one edited (video removed) even though the the post and the video fell within the the parameters of t.o.s . I was informed that some people would react badly to the post and video and that is why they were removed. The first time it happened, I have to admit I was a bit upset, but upon reflection, I bowed to the umpire's decision happily. Much later when one of my videos was removed, I didn't give a hoot.

So I learned my lesson well, and will no longer care emotionally when and if my post gets tampered with . It's just a post or a video, not an arm or a leg that is being messed with.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I first saw the title of this thread my first reaction was, OH GAWD who now. I thought for sure I would see Tie's name (sorry Tie, nothing personal) or 1 or 2 other posters names. Hoax's name even crossed my mind, for a half a second. :wink2: Then I saw Cheryl was the poster. "Hmmmmm. This ought to be interesting." And I will be right. This will be interesting. Thanks Cheryl. :happy-very: I am off this week and will be watching this one closely. Let's see who makes it in the first 10 responses. Bet Dave will make it 11 since I think he will be in the first 10. Come on Tie. I know you will make it in the first 10 posts. Smile, life's to freaking short ...............

Cheryl, I don't think I've been unfairly persecuted. I've had posts removed and I have had 'doc-talks' (kinda) and I have deserved every one of them. :its_all_good:

rod

Retired 22 years
No--- I have never been persecuted or treated unfairly by the BC. But I will say that it seems as though the BC is a little more restrictive or moderated than it used to be. Maybe its just my imagination. I like a good battle between posters. BC is the only "reality show" I enjoy. (other than maybe " Billy the Extermiator" :happy2:

fethrs

Moderation is the way to go, People need to self-moderate themselves, (maybe some should self medicate too) stop and think about what is being posted then reply without attacking anyone. How hard is that?
I suppose it's those folks who need to be seen and heard, look at ME ME ME, hear ME ME ME.. Better off without them.
Never had any problems with this site or the mods, in fact every time I've asked for help, the mods came through friendly and helpful.

iowa boy

So anyway, I know that I have managed to tick a lot of people off over the last decade...

Cheryl,

I hope you do not feel the least bit of remorse for ticking off people. If people can't come to the Brown Cafe, (that YOU own and operate,) and act like the adults they are supposed to be, then they need to be moderated. There will always be people on every forum on the internet that feel they are being treated unfairly by the mods or whomever, that is the nature of people. What are you gonna do?

Just keep up the good work, thats all I have to say.:happy-very::peaceful:

This is a free site so if they don't like the moderation they can find another. I've had a post changed and a thread deleted and it's know skin of my back. I like all the mods and even the posters I disagree with on here it's just a ups vent site for me. Also I would like to thank Cheryl for creating this site it is a good tool for me to help others which is the reason I became a steward.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It is just my opinion that if UPS as a company is not family-orientated and "normal" socially, there is no reason to try to make this forum anything different. There is way too much effort to keep this a family friendly site when the exact thing we all have in common lacks that very thing.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I like the way things are run on this site. If you have a problem, then pickup your toys, and go elsewhere. It's called the WORLD WIDE WEB for a reason.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It is just my opinion that if UPS as a company is not family-orientated and "normal" socially, there is no reason to try to make this forum anything different. There is way too much effort to keep this a family friendly site when the exact thing we all have in common lacks that very thing.
I disagree, I think a well moderated site is absolutely worth the effort involved. I have no desire to see this place turn into a clone of t.net.

helenofcalifornia

Wow Cheryl!! Had no idea people would be taking things so seriously. OI is absolutely right, take your problems elsewhere. Hey, I am going to be off work for awhile, so if you want me to take care of any "little problems." just let me know. :peaceful:

Johney

Aren't Mods here just to make sure everyone stays within the Term of Agreement or something like that? What we all agreed upon when signing up. If they are doing more than that, isn't that abusing their authority? If so they should not be a Mod. Just a suggestion but maybe it's time for new Mods. Or simply find out which one(s) are over stepping their boundary and change their status.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Aren't Mods here just to make sure everyone stays within the Term of Agreement or something like that? What we all agreed upon when signing up. If they are doing more than that, isn't that abusing their authority? If so they should not be a Mod. Just a suggestion but maybe it's time for new Mods. Or simply find out which one(s) are over stepping their boundary and change their status.
Perhaps the purpose of this thread isn't clear. When I wrote the first post I was kind of frustrated with one particular member for posting in multiple threads about how he has been treated unfairly because we are biased against his point of view. I guess I didn't think it through enough before writing it.

I'm not looking for stories about individual moderators. I think that the mods do a great job, they have my full support.

On the other hand I think that there are a couple of members that like to see how far they can push the moderators... but we don't need to point fingers at those members right now. What I'm trying to find out is if there is an overall impression that our forum is biased one way or another because of the way that it's moderated. In other words do some of you believe that we have some kind of secret agenda?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sweetie, I think you and Tony are about as far from a secret agenda as the Pluto is away from this earth. Come on people. Grow up! We all have our own POV's and each are interpreted individually. Get over yourselves.

some1else

Banned
I participate in alot of forums and feel the moderation on here is a good middleground

Ubder moderate and you get 4chan type insanity-- those of you that dont know be glad imagine the worst you can and multiply by ten

Over moderation is just as bad- i left a "fanboy" site of a manufacturer because they deleted any remotely negative post about their products leaving everthing 100% one sided.

Bc handles moderation well such that each issue is generally adressed from labor and managment angles and mostly useful information is presented.

My only complaint is alot of clubhouse tyoe post and back and forth clutter the main boards. Out of 100pages about 50-70% are off topic, irrelevant, or often simply perdonal anecdotes that hae little bearing. However sites that cut down on these types of posting tend to die off because people like to post whether thry have anything to say or not. Some of thr 10000 post users probably have 3000 or less useful posts...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I participate in alot of forums and feel the moderation on here is a good middleground

Ubder moderate and you get 4chan type insanity-- those of you that dont know be glad imagine the worst you can and multiply by ten

Over moderation is just as bad- i left a "fanboy" site of a manufacturer because they deleted any remotely negative post about their products leaving everthing 100% one sided.

Bc handles moderation well such that each issue is generally adressed from labor and managment angles and mostly useful information is presented.

My only complaint is alot of clubhouse tyoe post and back and forth clutter the main boards. Out of 100pages about 50-70% are off topic, irrelevant, or often simply perdonal anecdotes that hae little bearing. However sites that cut down on these types of posting tend to die off because people like to post whether thry have anything to say or not. Some of thr 10000 post users probably have 3000 or less useful posts...
Easy there Some1else. You are getting pretty specific with the 10,000 post posters. There are very few of them and they are well respected.