HD guys, what do you fill out on your Driver Release Doortags?

HomeDelivery

OK, i'm getting mixed answers to this...

MOST leave it blank & left on the box on the front porch, AKA package tags instead of "door tags" (i've seen this on the Ground side alot as well)

some leave it blank & stuck on the door,

when they do a back door or side door or garage or indirect (neighbor/ apt office), they'll actually fill them out...

I recommended the temps that I was training this past peak to note at the bottom of every DR doortag the package type & corresponding sequence number (in HD, we have sequence numbers of ALL our parcels for the day, either with the white sticker with route#: sequence# or written with black permanent marker on the package). in addition to checking the box of where the parcel is released.

I don't fill out the name(sometimes i'll put the home number or apt #/ date since the tracking number will have that timestamp anyways

ex:

box #100

white envelope #1240

white bag #60

rug roll #2040

3 boxes #3320

2 tires #30

these will be written right where it says "other" on the post-it style doortags...
-----------------------------

This may vary from terminal to terminal, but do we really need to fill these out? or are the contractors protected if the doortag is left blank?

thanks in advance.

80-90% of HD's stops are DR so we go through lots of these things :bloodshot:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I chuckle when I see the overuse of Ground door tags. The door tag is designed to be used if your DR the pkg in an alternate location or if you are unable to complete the delivery---other than that the tags should stay in your pockets.

bbsam

Staff member
I chuckle when I see the overuse of Ground door tags. The door tag is designed to be used if your DR the pkg in an alternate location or if you are unable to complete the delivery---other than that the tags should stay in your pockets.
I agree. But try to explain that to the wonder brains in Pittsburgh and Memphis.

bbsam

Staff member
I understand that this is being done because in the past they weren't used enough. I think the drivers get it and perhaps it is time to back off.
I think alot of the drivers do. Many trucks by the end of the week littered with "used" notices.

HomeDelivery

I understand that this is being done because in the past they weren't used enough. I think the drivers get it and perhaps it is time to back off.

it has something to do with claims... from one of the HD contractors, you are relieved from a claim if those doortags are scanned/ stuck to the door <shrugs> eventhough they're BLANK???

guess sam doesn't want to answer this; hopefully MoM can chime in when it's not busy at her hub...

I agree, though, it's redundant to use it for front door releases, but i'm following what management wants, not what the contractor (or supposedly real boss requires us to do). the last contractor I was working for just passes down what management wants from it's drivers. That's why i'm confused to this door tag nonsense.

If i meet a customer while trying to "drop 'n run", i just scan doortag anyways and tell them to disregard it <shrugs>

Some customers never saw my methods of the doortag release & I think others just scan & trash those notices in their package cars because when i cover someone's area for a week or so, those customers act like they have never seen these tags before:slap:i'll just tell them to not expect this type of service once the "regular driver" comes back from his vacation:nonono:

HomeDelivery

in HD, there are 2 kinds:

the small post-it notes that are the releases
20111030-121317.jpg

and the longer-"sorry we missed you" notes for indirect/ direct signature required stops

us_services_fedex_ground_door_tag_delivery.jpg

where #3 is for indirect signatures and ripped off for direct sig
20111030-121317.jpg
us_services_fedex_ground_door_tag_delivery.jpg

HomeDelivery

PS: i've found a blog about it...

This FedEx Notice Wants To Play A Guessing Game With You - The Consumerist

customer came home to find this completely blank FedEx notice affixed to the front door. He could have taken it off the door and run the tracking number through the FedEx site, but since there are multiple apartments in the building, he had no idea if it was even intended for him. Even if he had tracked it, this is a "Delivery Notice" so it would have just said that the package was delivered with no further information.
The parcel was eventually located on some steps outside the building, but no thanks to the delivery notice.

shouldn't have been released to begin with; eventhough someone let him inside the apt building; shuold have acquired an indirect sig at least...

I had received a package last week from FedEx with a blank notification affixed to the package. Please tell what the point of that even is.

an example of a blank doortag on a box
:slap:

HomeDelivery

so back on topic...

golfgod00 said:
I just scan those little sticky note and toss it........hahaha​

did you or your contractor get reprimanded for doing that?

One terminal wanted 100% door tag compliance, while the other terminal is kinda iffy about it. Is this just to get their bonus or we really have to scan a DR tag at every stop?​

ctsc87

i usually just stick the tag to the box if i'm leaving it at the front door. If i am leaving the package somewhere else i will usually stick the door tag to the front door and indicate where i have left the package. Thats the small door tags you speak of. As for the indirect ones i usually leave they tag where i think they enter the house wether its a side mud room or the garage. Also i have come across the issue where i have scanned the box and hit front door on the scanner then changed my mind and left it in the garage instead and the customer called and complained and it actually went as a compliant because the box wasn't where it said in the scanner. What is your concern or main question about theses door tags?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Unless a customer isn't home and a signature is needed these doortags are completely pointless and a perfect example of Memphis know-it-alls who couldn't do our jobs if their life depended on it.

HomeDelivery

What is your concern or main question about theses door tags?

are they really required for every DR stop? the small ones... i already have 2 people here confirmed that they scan the small post it notes & just trash them. Is that an integrity issue?

does your terminal really wanted 100% door tag compliance or what are the consequences of not scanning a doortag for every driver-release? loss of your contract?

some drivers don't even write on them... is this doortag fiasco just a way to get out of claims from the customer.

hmm, are you the same guy that lost the monthly service bonus because you forgot to rescan a new doortag to say u left it at the garage instead of the front door?

it's a given to scan the long ones to try to acquire an indirect sig or to make other arrangements for a direct sig, but scanning DTags for every other stop is surely a waste of resources

ctsc87

are they really required for every DR stop? the small ones... i already have 2 people here confirmed that they scan the small post it notes & just trash them. Is that an integrity issue?

does your terminal really wanted 100% door tag compliance or what are the consequences of not scanning a doortag for every driver-release? loss of your contract?

some drivers don't even write on them... is this doortag fiasco just a way to get out of claims from the customer.

hmm, are you the same guy that lost the monthly service bonus because you forgot to rescan a new doortag to say u left it at the garage instead of the front door?

it's a given to scan the long ones to try to acquire an indirect sig or to make other arrangements for a direct sig, but scanning DTags for every other stop is surely a waste of resources

They did want 100% for use of door tags at each stop. When we were just contractors if there was a claim for a missing package and you left a door tag and it followed all the guidelines you were out of it scott free, but yet if you did not scan a door tag there was a chance that you could be charged for the missing package. Since we have switched over to isp i still make sure my guys are leaving door tags for every stop. As people have stated they are just a waste of paper and a usless stop.

Yes i am the same guy that lost part of my bonus because one of my guys decided to leave the box at the garage instead of the front door when he was walking up to the house and he just left instead of re scanning the box opening up the stop again and switiching it to garage

HomeDelivery

OK thank you for your input... so when you changed to ISP, this is not recommended anymore?

I'm still in a contractor-state, but most are switching from LLC to Corp now... so 100% door tag compliance is still valid around here (ugh):twister2:that's what i've wanted to know from the get-go!

Mom

Heh...our senior manager likes to threaten with 'letters to cure' and "immediate contractor termination" if a DN is not left, 'confusing' or 'blows off the door'.

One lady called in, said she had a box at her front door but ALSO got a delivery notice, stating she had a box at her front door. She was irate that we only left one box. Why would we leave a notice if we left the box, she says?

Good question lady.

Same week, a box was delivered and DRd on Tuesday. Recip calls Wednesday, saying she found a DN on her door, but no package, but the date was Tuesday and she wants to file a claim for a stolen box. Because she never saw the DN the first time.

I generally hate DNs.

If a used DN is found in a truck or in the garbage (yes, he digs through the garbage and trucks and sits in his office and runs the barcode numbers) he will have a Business Discussion with you, tell you to fire your driver or threaten you with termination for Integrity Issues. Hasn't happened to me, but Ive seen it. And we are ISP.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I love it!
I wonder what customers think when I arrive at a house, there's a ground/home pkg sitting at the door, there's a ground/home DN on the door saying there's a pkg right there, at the door but, my pkg. requires a sig. and I leave a slightly different looking DN saying I need a sig. for a pkg.

Should set the customers on their ears. Ha ha ha.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I love it!
I wonder what customers think when I arrive at a house, there's a ground/home pkg sitting at the door, there's a ground/home DN on the door saying there's a pkg right there, at the door but, my pkg. requires a sig. and I leave a slightly different looking DN saying I need a sig. for a pkg.

Should set the customers on their ears. Ha ha ha.

TEE HEE HEE!!! It's all about customer (snickering and crying, kids are looking at me like I am crazy..) satisfaction!

Remember, no matter what, we're all just one big old happy customer serving, P-S-P following (but not for Ground or Freight) OPCO!!