Health insurance after a year at UPS? Teamster Health Plan.

Rawrzxor

So, I'm approaching a year as a package handler, switching from 'gosh darn it's hot' to the recent 'gosh darn I can't feel myself', completely irrelevant, but you have to vent somewhere; and, I've come down with something. A doctor visit is like 100-150 or something without insurance, but I just got this Teamcare BlueCross BlueShield card in the mail. Do I have to sign up to get the health insurance, and do I have to pay a monthly thing for it? I was only told, "we get health insurance after a year," but no one ever mentioned whether it was provided for free or just provided. I just assumed it was free, but then again, what is free in life.

Anyways, a $10 co-pay is a lot more preferable to $150 doctor visit for a few antibiotics. It's been like 5 years since I've had a physical, anyway. So, anyone know? I guess this is a union thing, not a UPS thing since it says National Teamster Health Plan? It already has my group No. and Identification No., so I was hoping it's good to go. Finally, my seemingly inexorable toil at UPS has some nice benefits. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

upschuck

I would call Teamcare and make sure you are covered first. They send them out a little ahead of time, and would deny the claim if you haven't put your year in. You pay no premium. Don't go to the ER for unless it is serious.

upschuck

Finally, my seemingly inexorable toil at UPS has some nice benefits.
You probably get paid more in benefits, than you do in wages, right now. When you get you year raise, your HC should kick in too. Remember they only pay your HC for weeks that you get a check for(disability, FMLA included). Seems reasonable to me.

Rawrzxor

Sweet. Well, not sweet, but still cool. I haven't quite made it to a year yet. I still have another week to go. Thanks for all the great information guys. ^_^ I'm so delighted to hear that I don't have to pay a premium.

I'll definitely give TeamCare a call before I make an appointment. Otherwise, I'm just going to have to skip another day and get some rest and fluids, unfortunately. And stay near to the toilet.......