Helper Hours

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am glad the two of you are having fun--the rest of us have grown tired of your debate.
Speak for yourself, please, YOU are not the official spokesman of the Brown Cafe. Sometimes you need to listen to what people say without puting your fingers in your ears and humming loudly.

Glad I'm not the only one.:whiteflag:
I like the fact that 2 people communicated their feelings and were able to shake hands in the end. That, my friends, is called healthy communication, which is the key to great friendships, marriages and all relationships.

Nimnim

The Nim
Speak for yourself, please, YOU are not the official spokesman of the Brown Cafe. Sometimes you need to listen to what people say without puting your fingers in your ears and humming loudly.

I like the fact that 2 people communicated their feelings and were able to shake hands in the end. That, my friends, is called healthy communication, which is the key to great friendships, marriages and all relationships.

Oh, I'm glad they reached a mutual conclusion, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed watching it get to that.

That aside, it happens rarely enough I have to pipe up when I agree with Upstate on anything. He's not so much a bad guy, but views things differently than most.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a spirited, respectful debate.

If it gets to the point where others are starting to lose interest in it, all they have to do is scroll down past it.

Back to the original point about helpers....It has been my observation that a lot of new drivers have absolutely no idea how to use a helper effectively. That is a skill that they have gotten no training for and have had no chance to develop. The "training" they receive is usually little more than a 10 minute meeting with a few pointers and tips written on a whiteboard that have nothing to do with how to actually use a helper in the real world.

brownIEman

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a spirited, respectful debate.

If it gets to the point where others are starting to lose interest in it, all they have to do is scroll down past it.

Back to the original point about helpers....It has been my observation that a lot of new drivers have absolutely no idea how to use a helper effectively. That is a skill that they have gotten no training for and have had no chance to develop. The "training" they receive is usually little more than a 10 minute meeting with a few pointers and tips written on a whiteboard that have nothing to do with how to actually use a helper in the real world.

I would go a step further and say a lot of even experienced drivers do not know how to use helpers. The official line about driver helper usage training is one bit of corporate koolaide I have been unable to acquire a taste for. Which is why when I was doing the coordinator assignment, afternoons when all the meet ups were set and most other coordinators where going home or back to their real jobs, I was usually out meeting driver/helper teams training helpers on the DIAD and delivery methods and working with drivers on helper utilization strategies. Hence the 100 plus hour weeks some peaks. Also hence the reason I am glad I am not doing that gig anymore.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I think that the ability to use a helper effectively is an art that takes time to develop. Being a successful driver for this company is in large part an art too, IMO, regardless of the 340+ 1000 rules and regs we follow. Some folks learn to play the two together and find most of their days passing smoothly. Some never get it and struggle. Effective use of a helper for me also depends heavily on the type of route I am running. Sometimes it's just a great match of helper/driver. There are some guidelines that could be taught that probably aren't because management would have to communicate with drivers to find out what those are, ie admit that we have info and skills that they are not privy to.

A few ppl are sluggish takers that don't give a rat's bum about anything but themselves and their pay check.

I am here for very selfish reasons, primarily to learn and grow. If my conversations bore or offend someone, place me on ignore or report me to a mod. I appreciate all of the interactions I have, especially those that teach me something about myself or others or relationships. I get valuable support from those who agree with me. I learn more from those who I disagree with.

If you are so emotionally/intellectually developed that you gain nothing from a posted interaction, bully for you!!! SCROLL ON!!!!!!!!!