Here Comes the Electric Fail

bbsam

Staff member
Billions isn't enough. Tesla's technology and manufacturing advantage is large and growing bigger every day. They're not catching up.
Tesla’s overall quality sucks. Battery and electric motor technology are not limited to Tesla R and D. There is no logical reason to believe that Tesla is what you say it is.

wilberforce15

Tesla’s overall quality sucks. Battery and electric motor technology are not limited to Tesla R and D. There is no logical reason to believe that Tesla is what you say it is.
Build quality isn't the topic. It's kind of irrelevant. Customers don't care about it.

Tesla's 4680 cell has far more energy density, much lower manufacturing cost, much longer life, and much better everything than anyone else has. And Tesla will be able to produce it in volume. Other people can build EV's. Tesla can build them cheaper in greater volume than anyone, by miles and miles.

They're putting everything they have into the Machine That Builds The Machine. It's not about the cars. It's about the manufacturing.

They've built the world's largest casting machines for single piece, or two piece car bodies. When other manufacturers use 180 parts and a gazillion welds, Tesla uses 1 piece and no welds. It's about speed and cost. That's why the cybertruck looks the way it does. It's not for aesthetics. it's for manufacturing.

The car industry is starting to learn just how far behind it is.

wilberforce15

Sandy Munro is a true OG in the auto manufacturing world. He breaks down and analyzes builds, and sells his analysis for millions and millions of dollars. He understands not just every bolt in every car he breaks down, but how the bolt was built, how it was installed, and how it could all be better.

He's been doing auto manufacturing analysis for 50 years, and he became a fanboy. He has endless hours of analysis on youtube if you care to educate yourself.

wilberforce15

When I say from all sides, that’s what it is.

Let's look at all the evidence of what I said, directly from Ford's website: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/

It's slower than any equivalent-price Tesla. It has lower range than any equivalent-price Tesla. And they can't make it in volume.

They have no infrastructure to make 500k of them. Or a million of them.

Tesla is going to sell a million cars this year. And 2 million the next.

Nobody can touch them. Other people can make EV's. But they cannot match specs, price, or volume.

The same goes for all other manufacturers. Tesla's advantage is insurmountable for years.

bbsam

Staff member
Let's look at all the evidence of what I said, directly from Ford's website: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/

It's slower than any equivalent-price Tesla. It has lower range than any equivalent-price Tesla. And they can't make it in volume.

They have no infrastructure to make 500k of them. Or a million of them.

Tesla is going to sell a million cars this year. And 2 million the next.

Nobody can touch them. Other people can make EV's. But they cannot match specs, price, or volume.

The same goes for all other manufacturers. Tesla's advantage is insurmountable for years.
I doubt that even Elon Musk believes that.

wilberforce15

I doubt that even Elon Musk believes that.
Even Musk believes what?

It's objectively true that nobody can make electric cars in the volume that Tesla can. It's objectively true that nobody can match the specs for price while building in volume. These aren't debateable things.

It's also not debateable that Tesla doubled their capacity tlast year, will double it this year (or close), and double it next year. These are on-the-ground, basic, observable facts.

bbsam

Staff member
Even Musk believes what?

It's objectively true that nobody can make electric cars in the volume that Tesla can. It's objectively true that nobody can match the specs for price while building in volume. These aren't debateable things.

It's also not debateable that Tesla doubled their capacity tlast year, will double it this year (or close), and double it next year. These are on-the-ground, basic, observable facts.
That “Tesla’s advantage is insurmountable for years.” And if he does believe it, you should sell your Tesla stock right now.

wilberforce15

That “Tesla’s advantage is insurmountable for years.” And if he does believe it, you should sell your Tesla stock right now.
Nobody will match Tesla's price and specs for years, and they're light years ahead in full self driving. Those are not even close to debateable issues. It's simple fact.

We know every manufacturer's supply constraints. We know everyone's facilities. We know what each is capable of. And Tesla will have capacity for a million EV's this year. And 2 million next year. And 4 to 5 million the year after that. Gigafactories in NV, TX, Berlin, Shanghai.

This is all public knowledge. Ford cannot match price or specs or volume this year. They can't do it next year. And they can't do it the next year. And nobody else can either. There is no path for anyone to match them.

wilberforce15

By the way, I'm taking the time to teach you, not because I believe that you are willing or capable of learning, but because some who are willing and capable might be reading.

wilberforce15

I'm kind of amazed:

This guy puts things into orbit at 1/10 to 1/100 the cost of NASA, lands his own rockets on their own rear ends, and then people think he can't make electric vehicles faster and cheaper than industry dinosaurs.

Tesla isn't going to be the world's biggest automaker. It's going to be the biggest company in the world.

bbsam

Staff member
By the way, I'm taking the time to teach you, not because I believe that you are willing or capable of learning, but because some who are willing and capable might be reading.
I’ll do the same. Sales numbers alone should be alarming to Tesla fan boys. VW already sells more in Europe. In the US Ford’s Mustang E already cut 12% points off Tesla’s sales numbers in February. And you say build quality doesn’t matter?
So then we consider that Ford can afford to build at a higher cost because, well the friend series is still damn near king of the road for sales. And then we start to think about something stupid like brand loyalty. It’s insane but it’s real and auto companies know it.

wilberforce15

I’ll do the same. Sales numbers alone should be alarming to Tesla fan boys. VW already sells more in Europe. In the US Ford’s Mustang E already cut 12% points off Tesla’s sales numbers in February. And you say build quality doesn’t matter?
So then we consider that Ford can afford to build at a higher cost because, well the friend series is still damn near king of the road for sales. And then we start to think about something stupid like brand loyalty. It’s insane but it’s real and auto companies know it.
I guess you think that pulling first page google results from your first search on the topic will tell me something I don't know. It doesn't.

GigaBerlin isn't open yet. Tariffs make supply difficult. That's why Tesla will have two European factories.

Here is what you need to know: VW is selling 50k EV's a year across the whole of Europe, and that's supposed to be a threat to Tesla. Excuse me while I LOLOLOLOLOL.

GigaBerlin will have capacity for 500k EV's per year, at a minimum, and will be complete this year. VW is pulling out all the stops to try to make 1/10 of that.

Tesla is untouchable. Gigaberlin can beat all of VW's combined ability to make EV's by 10x.

It will be fine

Build quality isn't the topic. It's kind of irrelevant. Customers don't care about it.

Tesla's 4680 cell has far more energy density, much lower manufacturing cost, much longer life, and much better everything than anyone else has. And Tesla will be able to produce it in volume. Other people can build EV's. Tesla can build them cheaper in greater volume than anyone, by miles and miles.

They're putting everything they have into the Machine That Builds The Machine. It's not about the cars. It's about the manufacturing.

They've built the world's largest casting machines for single piece, or two piece car bodies. When other manufacturers use 180 parts and a gazillion welds, Tesla uses 1 piece and no welds. It's about speed and cost. That's why the cybertruck looks the way it does. It's not for aesthetics. it's for manufacturing.

The car industry is starting to learn just how far behind it is.
So any body damage you’ll have to replace half the car body? That’s doesn’t sound cheap.

wilberforce15

So any body damage you’ll have to replace half the car body? That’s doesn’t sound cheap.
You get a car that costs a lot less, is the best rated in crashes, and is a hair more expensive to insure.

You literally want them to build a crappy car for more money. Go ahead. Lots of people make crappy cars for more money. Buy a Mach E

wilberforce15

Just in time for q1 deliveries.

All of the past 12 months, VW delivered enough EVs to match 1/4 of Tesla's first quarter.

What a threat!

VW's entire production is worth about 3 weeks for Tesla. And tesla is going to double each year for the next few years.

Last edited: