Hit from behind" charged with avoidable accident."

helenofcalifornia

Back to the original OP....I read it also as the accident being five years ago. Is this true? UPS is one vindictive SOB if so. And also, on a safety ride, the safety guy told me that technically every driveway should be considered an intersection. Can you imagine how slow that would make each driver's day???

UnconTROLLed

perfection
MY question is:

If the company can go back FIVE YEARS and discipline/review an accident, then why cannot we go back five years to file a grievance on an "avoidable" accident that clearly was not? Or any grievance for that matter?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
MY question is:

If the company can go back FIVE YEARS and discipline/review an accident, then why cannot we go back five years to file a grievance on an "avoidable" accident that clearly was not? Or any grievance for that matter?

Because the company is not attempting to discipline the driver for that 5-year-old accident.

In order to be valid, a warning letter must be issued within 10 days of the company becoming aware of the incident in question.

In this case, the company is simply denying the OP a safe driving award or recognition because of that 5 year old accident. They are perfectly entitled to do this because we have no contractual right to such recognition. The awards are theirs to issue or deny at their discretion.

That is why, as employees, we really need to step back and detach ourselves emotionally from the entire program. Being "charged" with an "avoidable" accident no longer has any meaning or validity in the real world where the work is getting done. It has nothing to do with whether or not we are driving safely or following the correct methods.

Bear in mind that every Division or District has a full-time "Safety Manager" and in this era of management cut backs this person's first priority will naturally be to justify their own job. To do this they must look busy by generating as many reports and having as many meetings as is humanly possible. "Avoidable" accidents equal paperwork, and paperwork equals job security for the management person in question.

Braveheart

Appeal the accident. there is a form that you can fill out requesting the accident be changed to unavoidable and why. Request a meeting with the safety manager and your center manager to review why the accident was deemed avoidable. State your case when given the chance.

Hey Tie thanks for the info. How come we have never been told this. This is a company form right? Not a grievance right? Our Center is run by a control freak. The thing is, this could only help his record. So why would he not at least push this for the braindead worngfully charged. He has never even mentioned this.

tomuchdrama

started in 1988/ full time in 1991 feeder in 1998 safe driving sure but crap does an will happen. i have been involved in 11 wrecks since 1991.not a one was my fault but sure did get charged for a couple of them,hell i even had two in the same week,i was sideswiped by car trying to pass on shoulder{feeder} other was having my front bumper torn off by another company driver, package car driver.:peaceful:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Because the company is not attempting to discipline the driver for that 5-year-old accident.

In order to be valid, a warning letter must be issued within 10 days of the company becoming aware of the incident in question.

In this case, the company is simply denying the OP a safe driving award or recognition because of that 5 year old accident. They are perfectly entitled to do this because we have no contractual right to such recognition. The awards are theirs to issue or deny at their discretion.

That is why, as employees, we really need to step back and detach ourselves emotionally from the entire program. Being "charged" with an "avoidable" accident no longer has any meaning or validity in the real world where the work is getting done. It has nothing to do with whether or not we are driving safely or following the correct methods.

Bear in mind that every Division or District has a full-time "Safety Manager" and in this era of management cut backs this person's first priority will naturally be to justify their own job. To do this they must look busy by generating as many reports and having as many meetings as is humanly possible. "Avoidable" accidents equal paperwork, and paperwork equals job security for the management person in question.

You are 100% right, good explanation. I somehow blurred the part of the story, 5 year review being over a safe driving award. It is a sham that credits the most well thought of individuals and discredits the equally capable but less "yes" friendly ones.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie brings out valid point, but only to centers where they have recognition of each "safe driving" year. AT our center, they dont. You might or might not get that little card when you have passed another year. So maybe they could/should have known by not getting something each year. But that can not be depended on 100%.

When you work at a center where you get charged for cracking a rear view mirror and lose your 10 years, and within the same month, another driver sideswipes a package car, rips off the whole rear view mirror bracket off a second car, and has a roll away with a third, and all were glossed over.........there is no real meaning to the safe driving award system at UPS. And in one year, this same driver had over 15 chargable accidents, several of which were only reported by the other drivers involved, and he was never disciplined once. And until there is a method of addressing this issue to bring about change (which will never happen), this system will continue. And it will remain a poor indication of the safety picture at UPS.

d

dqs95124

nothing you can do.. Just make sure it does not show up on your personal insurance. 10 years ago I was in my 1st accident in my truck. The driver tried to go around me on the right as I was turning into a driveway. He got a ticket, I Was still charged w/ an avoidable accident. Not only that it showed up on my personal insurance as an accident.. Finally It's off my record, but having to explain to the insurance company for my personal car was a nightmare..