How do you, break the ice?

ups1990

Every driver has this experience. You get a new buss on your route, or maybe your're a utility or cover driver. When entering, you say hello or good morning, but the Women or person at the front desk, has the personality of a cold fish.

My technique to break the ice(if you will) is to use stupid one liners.

If it's a Podiatrist office, I say. We got off on the wrong foot, my name is....

Dental office. Why can't I get a signature here. Its like pulling teeth.

Proctologist. I ask them. What makes a person say they want to study the rear end?

I know, these are stupid one liners but it works.

brownrodster

I don't.

I simply show up, give the reciever a package, collect a signiature and then leave. I never tell anyone my name. If they ask I only tell them if I like them. Ice breaking is bad for the SPORH and overallowed.

Ice breaking not needed.

I never worry about breaking the ice. My usual beaming and charming personality just takes over as soon as I walk through the door and people just naturally start smiling.

either that or they think I look funny.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm with you Rodster. I don't bother. I don't have time for those types of customers. The one liners might work but they also might earn you a corp concern.

ups1990

I don't.

I simply show up, give the reciever a package, collect a signiature and then leave. I never tell anyone my name. If they ask I only tell them if I like them. Ice breaking is bad for the SPORH and overallowed.

Ice breaking not needed.
My reason for doing so is exactly your point. They tend to acknowledge my arrival sooner and sign.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will introduce myself and tell them that I am their regular driver and not to hesitate to ask if there is anything that you need or that I can do for you.

UPSGUY72

Walk in "HELLO" hand them the DIAD get a signature "THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY" if they have a question I'll answer it. Other than that I'm on to my next stop.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its so annoying when you bring them a delivery and they want to open, inspect, check the invoice, everything short of making love to it before they sign. I just usually tell them the way it goes, this is what you got this is all you are signing for, point it out in the pkg count area. You can accept or refuse, one or the other, I got to go. I find if I use the easy approach, it gets alot less tedious in the future. After all they are new, and I may have to deal with them alot in the future. Id rather take a few minutes now than have them develop an attitude I may have to live with forever.
I dont care about sporh. It does not always reflect my job duties.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I just say "What's that smell" it seems to get everyone's attention. Somehow someone always agrees and says "yeah! I smell it too!". Then I leave..

some1else

Banned
i always ask if i can use they microwave... i like me kipper snacks nice n warm.

then we can talk about the smell and the broken microwave from the metal!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I will introduce myself and tell them that I am their regular driver and not to hesitate to ask if there is anything that you need or that I can do for you.

I do this at residential deliveries too. If I see people that have just moved into a neighborhood I will tell them, "Welcome to the neighborhood, my name is _______. If there is anything i can do for you, don't be afraid to ask." A little bit goes a long way. Even the cover drivers are suprised at how many of the resi stops ask where I am.

As far as you cold drivers, your "toughness" and unwillingness to communicate with people is the reason UPS loses customers. Customer Service is A-1, number 1. No matter what management says the personal relationships you build with the customers are the best ways to get and keep customers.

sano

I do this at residential deliveries too. If I see people that have just moved into a neighborhood I will tell them, "Welcome to the neighborhood, my name is _______. If there is anything i can do for you, don't be afraid to ask." A little bit goes a long way. Even the cover drivers are suprised at how many of the resi stops ask where I am.

As far as you cold drivers, your "toughness" and unwillingness to communicate with people is the reason UPS loses customers. Customer Service is A-1, number 1. No matter what management says the personal relationships you build with the customers are the best ways to get and keep customers.

A great smile and a friendly attitude gets a customer's attention and moves you to the front of the line.

Dead on. Drivers have more to do with the volume than the sales staff does. If we do not offer service and a bit of rapport, than all we have is price and it will be a race to the bottom. However, when you hear of drivers getting invited to weddings and considered a friend, you know that his costumers wont be switching when the next DHL comes along and offers a discount.

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm nice to people but most don't know my name or anything about me. Deliver and go. I got stuff to do. If they have a question or concern I'm more than willing to help but I will not start a conversation I don't have time to finish. There are a few exceptions if you know what I mean.

SmithBarney

All Smiles all the time... not sure how I do it, but it works even the crouchiest customers eventually come around..(they must think I'm on drugs)

and if they ask about the "regular" driver... I just say thats me... you must be confusing me with someone else. or "HE DIED"

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I live in a VERY small town. First time UPS came to deliver something it was a driver who had been around 25+ years. He was very personable and got the delivery done efficiently. Over the years we developed a rapport and I never tried to hold him up because I knew he was very busy. This was before I worked here. Now, whenever I have a delivery, doorbell rings and by the time I get to the door he's driving away, (we have a new young driver). The people in town always ask me "How come the new guy is such an A-hole?" I just tell them he must be alot busier than the other guy.