How do you survive the summer while working?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by a very rapid intake of water.[1] Normal, healthy individuals have little to worry about accidentally overconsuming water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume several gallons over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which time electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

aspenleaf

Very interesting about the water intoxication, I am going to read up on it. But how much water are we talking about in order to get those symptons?? It would have to be an incredible amount I would assume..

I am not sure of the exact amount but yes it would be a lot for that person in a few minutes to an hour. Most of us don't guzzle a liter in 5 minutes.

aspenleaf

From what I read about the water intoxication, If you are drinking water over a long period of time (not large amounts in a short time) the chances are slim to none that you can get water intoxication.. It is more likely to happen in infants and athletes..

Yes that is correct.

aspenleaf

Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by a very rapid intake of water.[1] Normal, healthy individuals have little to worry about accidentally overconsuming water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume several gallons over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which time electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

Right moreluck ~ who would think that water could do that to you? Like we have all said it would take a lot to do it and in the normal course of the work day we are taking in other things.

diadlover

Don't forget to also eat smaller, well-balanced meals frequently throughout the day. Also a diet too high in protein will raise your metabolic rate causing your body to overheat.

Remember kids: Hot work may mean stop work.

This PSA brought to you by diadlover in partnership with the browncafe.

browniehound

I actually heard that I think at a driver pcm when I was a preloader. Whenever you are yellow, youre getting in trouble, it should be clear and not much odor. For those with weak stomaches:w00t:dont read this, but its a good tool on hot days. Good advice BAU!!! 10 stars:thumbup1:

Tooner, the theory is if your urine is not clear then you are not adequitely hydrateded. Problem is, on the super hot and humid days its very difficult to drink enough water to keep your urine clear. I can drink a gallon of water on these days and not pee until late afternoon. And when I do, its only a fraction of what I usually do and its the color of buterscotch. I apololigize to everyone in advance for grossing you out.

browniehound

You may think I'm crazy but I love working during the summer months. I for one, would rather be hot than cold, and I can't stand the snow or -45 wind chill factors.

Once I start sweating the heat doesn't bother me and I'm comfortable. I have less of an appetitite and I always lose weight. This I really enjoy.

At the end of a hot, hard day at UPS, and after a cold shower when I'm sitting in my ACed living room drinking a Sam Adams summer ale watching the Red Sox beat the Yankees (hi local804!)I feel great. And thats why I enjoy working during the summer months.

aspenleaf

Don't forget to also eat smaller, well-balanced meals frequently throughout the day. Also a diet too high in protein will raise your metabolic rate causing your body to overheat.

Remember kids: Hot work may mean stop work.

This PSA brought to you by diadlover in partnership with the browncafe.

LOL ~ :lol: (to the PSA)
Thanks for the tips. I find that smaller meals is very helpful of course when I am working I don't need a meal (at work) since I am only a part timer!

NHDRVR

You have to keep pumping the water into you. Part time, full time, doesn't matter....Just be careful to not drink for a while and then think you can drink half a gallon. You don't need that kind of stomach ache. Drink small amounts all day long. Simple...

TAKE YOUR LUNCH AND BREAKS I still can't believe how many people don't so this.

NI1

Invest on a good cooler.

Freeze water the night before.

Bring a hand towel. You can keep it in the cooler so that you can use it in the afternoon to cool your head.

Ask your safety committee to put an ice machine in the center so you can fill your cooler with ice before you do your route.

Keep hydrated all day!
:thumbup1:

area43

Dont forget to drink lots of water in the winter tooo. Not just a summer thing. Can anyone give us the percentage of our muscles that consist of water? Im thinking its over 50 percent.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Different people have different percentages of their bodies made up of
water. Babies have the most, being born at about 78%. By one year of age,
that amound drops to about 65%. In adult men, about 60% of their bodies
are water. However, fat tissue does not have as much water as lean tissue.
In adult women, fat makes up more of the body than men, so they have about
55% of their bodies made of water. Fat men also have less water (as a
percentage) than thin men.

browniehound

I always thought it was around 70%. I say this because I was led to believe (in a course on oceanoghraphy) once that we had the same percentage of water in our bodies as the water that covers the planet. And I thought that was pretty cool. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think nature intended it that way.

diadlover

Take your body weight and multiply it by .75 and as an acitve adult that is how much water you should be consuming each day in ounces.

georgia peach

Hello from HOT Georgia,

Yesterday I got so hot I ended up in the restroom stall siting on the floor at milton martin toyota "thank god they have very clean restrooms" My head was hurting I was thrownig up so weak i just wanted to call 911.
I got scared. I did survive.

After washing off ,fanning myself, puting wet paper towles on my neck washing my face and drinking more water I got my strenth back. I felt so bad.

However, today I packed a cooler full of ice a clean white wash cloth and my water bottle when I felt myself getting hot again. I wet my cloth from the melted ice "Ooooo so Cold" and put it on the back of my neck and washed my face to cool off. I new I was on my way to finding a floor again, but this time the cold wet cloth worked. I just hope it continues to work.
Any other tips would be welcome .

see ya from hot ga

QueenBee

The Cupcake Lady
I freeze grapes and strawberries. They freeze to the core so when you suck on one you get a frozen sweetness in the middle. Yum!