How long have u worked at UPS and how many years do u have left until retirement?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That’s not true. The pension funds get it. I read it. It’s a formality, they apply and get it, period. Of course they apply, but they will get bailed out. Ttku
This is partially true----while the funds do go directly to the pension funds in question, the application process is anything but simple. Go to pbgc.org and click on one of the (redacted) applications------they are quite lengthy (500 +/- pages) and quite comprehensive. If (when) approved, the funds that are sent to the pension must be kept separate from funds already on hand and must be invested in a manner approved by the pbgc. There are also limitations on increasing future benefits and/or accrual rates.

When the funds are received by the pension, pension payments of those affected are restored to their pre-MPRA levels; in addition, "back pay" for all lost benefits are issued-----the only uncertainty is whether that will be done in a lump sum or over the course of a 5 year period.

While I will personally benefit from this "bailout", I personally disagree with our Federal government bailing out private pension plans.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
This is partially true----while the funds do go directly to the pension funds in question, the application process is anything but simple. Go to pbgc.org and click on one of the (redacted) applications------they are quite lengthy (500 +/- pages) and quite comprehensive. If (when) approved, the funds that are sent to the pension must be kept separate from funds already on hand and must be invested in a manner approved by the pbgc. There are also limitations on increasing future benefits and/or accrual rates.

When the funds are received by the pension, pension payments of those affected are restored to their pre-MPRA levels; in addition, "back pay" for all lost benefits are issued-----the only uncertainty is whether that will be done in a lump sum or over the course of a 5 year period.

While I will personally benefit from this "bailout", I personally disagree with our Federal government bailing out private pension plans.
I’m against bailing them out too, but I’m more against losing my pension. And since the government played a big part in causing the funds to dwindle due to imposing the multi employer funds on us and deregulation of the trucking industry and NAFTA, I don’t feel that bad. There was also teamster mismanagement as well. I hope they smarten up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’m against bailing them out too, but I’m more against losing my pension. And since the government played a big part in causing the funds to dwindle due to imposing the multi employer funds on us and deregulation of the trucking industry and NAFTA, I don’t feel that bad. There was also teamster mismanagement as well. I hope they smarten up.
From what I have been told back in the 80's my pension fund was 103% funded and was given the choice of either increasing monthly pension benefits or sending the surplus back to DC; fortunately, they chose the former. Now they are having to be bailed out. I was fortunate in that I "only" lost 18% of my pension-----those who were already retired lost 29%.

You might find this interesting: