Going Full-Time before 5 years - Pension Outcome

toombi

Hello! I was hired to the preload in February 2020. I've been working part-time since, and therefore am approaching 4 years seniority with UPS. I understand that 5 years of part-time work is required to become "vested" and therefore qualify for the pension under part-time rules. However, I am considering a few options:
1) One of our part-time air drivers is retiring and I could take his spot, going through the part-time air driver progression. And since our hub occasionally needs a route covered where a RPCD is not available, I would opportunely be asked if I want to cover that and therefore be paid top ground rate for that day.
2) I could become a full-time RPCD and start a full-time RPCD progression that will take 4 years (48 months) to reach top ground rate.
3) I could wait for a full-time inside job to open up and be paid a higher inside rate right off the bat and continue to have a life!
As I understand it, if I take option 1, I will become vested (reach 5 years) in 2025 and will therefore be qualified for the part-time pension when I retire. If I take option 3, it will likely not happen until 2025 anyway, and I will have become vested and have my prior years count toward part-time pension, but then also start qualifying for full-time pension benefits. But what happens if I take option 2? Since I'd be full-time before I hit "vested" status in 2025, would I lose those years of progress I would have made toward the part-time pension?
I'm referring to this source material linked below, and the example they give is with regard to an employee who became full-time only after he had already worked 8-years and become vested. But in my case, I would not reach the 5 years before going full-time.
Follow-up quesiton: Which path do you think is the wisest?

jacb9093

Hello! I was hired to the preload in February 2020. I've been working part-time since, and therefore am approaching 4 years seniority with UPS. I understand that 5 years of part-time work is required to become "vested" and therefore qualify for the pension under part-time rules. However, I am considering a few options:
1) One of our part-time air drivers is retiring and I could take his spot, going through the part-time air driver progression. And since our hub occasionally needs a route covered where a RPCD is not available, I would opportunely be asked if I want to cover that and therefore be paid top ground rate for that day.
2) I could become a full-time RPCD and start a full-time RPCD progression that will take 4 years (48 months) to reach top ground rate.
3) I could wait for a full-time inside job to open up and be paid a higher inside rate right off the bat and continue to have a life!
As I understand it, if I take option 1, I will become vested (reach 5 years) in 2025 and will therefore be qualified for the part-time pension when I retire. If I take option 3, it will likely not happen until 2025 anyway, and I will have become vested and have my prior years count toward part-time pension, but then also start qualifying for full-time pension benefits. But what happens if I take option 2? Since I'd be full-time before I hit "vested" status in 2025, would I lose those years of progress I would have made toward the part-time pension?
I'm referring to this source material linked below, and the example they give is with regard to an employee who became full-time only after he had already worked 8-years and become vested. But in my case, I would not reach the 5 years before going full-time.
Follow-up quesiton: Which path do you think is the wisest?
You will get credit for part time years of service, and start earning towards full time penision. I have same situation. I have 4 yrs part time pluse 40 years ft. I will get 4 yr pt aprox 160$ +5300$ FT.