How the heck do you get hired?

Maple7

Overqualified because you have a degree? At the new UPS this sounds crazy enough that it's probably true.
I think she just didn't understand why I would give up 52K per year, especially with the experience I have for a PT job that pays 16 bucks an hour till the end of December with zero guarantees after that. But hey If I want to be that outside hire I need my resume to pop and then absolutely bust my ass for 2 months. I know its not easy but if you work hard you get rewarded....well most of time:happy2:

SpoolEmUp

Mine was a breeze when I got hired off the street.

Went to initial interview in a group. I was only 1 of 2 that got an interview with the manager. Other guy failed initial on road.

Was sent to get my DOT right after the initial on road test.

3 days later I was off to integrad. The next day after graduation, I was in a truck on my training route.

Maybe my center is just classy.

Re-Raise

I think she just didn't understand why I would give up 52K per year, especially with the experience I have for a PT job that pays 16 bucks an hour till the end of December with zero guarantees after that.

And I thought I had a gambling problem. Good luck.

UPSGUY72

They just told us at our center that they are hiring 5 drivers off the street for Xmas help... A few of those will have the option to stay on after peak... I am really sad about this since I am the one who was sent home from driving school and one of those jobs could have been mine... I was told when I got back that they would try to send me back without waiting a year since we had nobody else wanting to drive, but a new sup that has come in has stopped that and decided to hire off the street... Sucks for me, but it's my fault I didn't pass intergrad....

If and when they violate the 6-1 rule file a grievance.

JonFrum

It's in the contract but it is not mandatory??
I think the part about filling six jobs with current part-timers is mandatory. The other part about filling one job by hiring outside the bargaining unit (either a part-time supervisor or an off-the-street new hire) is optional because it is UPS' turn, and they can "pass" if they choose to. It's like in many games, you have your turn, but you can pass it up if you want.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think the part about filling six jobs with current part-timers is mandatory. The other part about filling one job by hiring outside the bargaining unit (either a part-time supervisor or an off-the-street new hire) is optional because it is UPS' turn, and they can "pass" if they choose to. It's like in many games, you have your turn, but you can pass it up if you want.
The last time we were at the 6-1 ratio and they had the capability is going off the street, the center manager at the time used it like an Ace of Spades in a game of 21. He made the insider sweat, before giving him the bid. That has been my experience.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Where is all the big talk about filing a grievence......management is not following the contract......
Excuse me? Why on earth would I file a grievance on this issue? Why would I enable someone has not earned, my opinion, the right to bid the ability to bid? Get back to your corner, troll.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Excuse me? Why on earth would I file a grievance on this issue? Why would I enable someone has not earned, my opinion, the right to bid the ability to bid? Get back to your corner, troll.

So you think it's OK to pick and choose which parts of the contract you want to see enforced?

As far as "earning" as spot, it's already been established that you don't need to learn how to load a PC or trailer to deliver packages.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Then you file the grievance!!! Or, better yet, READ THE CONTRACT.
You are the one who previously wouldnt take my word for something, you had to have JonFrum chime in. Well, he did. Read it, if you dare. What? Have you turned into TOS?

As far as 'being established', who was on that committee? You? And, yet again, why do you care what I think? Why does it bother you so much you have to drag it into another thread? Talk about having credibility issues. Look in that mirror you claim to already have.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The fact that I and other outside hires did not come up through the ranks does not make us any less of a driver or employee. In my case, there is no way that I would have been able to provide for my family at $8.50/hr and then wait 3-5 years (or longer) for an open driving position. I was lucky to get hired during a period of growth and was FT in 11 months. This clearly wouldn't happen today--we haven't had an outside hire in at least 5 years.

I have already conceded that coming up through the ranks would have given me a greater appreciation of how hard these kids work for as little as they are paid but it has been clearly established that you don't need to know how to load them to deliver them.

I may not have "earned" my spot but I certainly "earn" my paycheck each and every day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't but you seem to find great value in it. You are the joke.

Any luck finding the reference for that Casey quote? Probably not as he never said it.
Some else quoted it. I just read it and remembered the fact that I read it. I guess you believe Casey's only concern was money? Even Pretzelman, read something similar to what I stated. Lord knows, I have too much time on my hands. Why do something constructive like find a quote our founding father said. That's just silly talk. Just silly.

old levi's

blank space
The fact that I and other outside hires did not come up through the ranks does not make us any less of a driver or employee. In my case, there is no way that I would have been able to provide for my family at $8.50/hr and then wait 3-5 years (or longer) for an open driving position. I was lucky to get hired during a period of growth and was FT in 11 months. This clearly wouldn't happen today--we haven't had an outside hire in at least 5 years.

I have already conceded that coming up through the ranks would have given me a greater appreciation of how hard these kids work for as little as they are paid but it has been clearly established that you don't need to know how to load them to deliver them.

I may not have "earned" my spot but I certainly "earn" my paycheck each and every day.

You could have supported your family with a full time job during the day after your PT shift at UPS. Many have; many still do! And if that second job has a rotating schedule that includes weekend work there may be periods of 12 days straight where you are working one or both jobs. And forget about trying to coordinate a vacation between those 2 jobs and the one that your spouse works because that's not happening. So you never get to take a vacation, so what. Three to five years wait would have been a walk in the park! For years you are at your first job,or your second job, or eating supper, or asleep.
That's the only 4 options; nothing else! Now, just for kicks let's include completing a four year degree by taking only 1 class per quarter for several years after the core work was finished. Chronic fatigue! If I thought I could squeeze in a 20 minute nap between jobs I would set a kitchen timer that counts down to zero. That way you didn't have to think too hard about the proper set time.

You have no idea what some people have done to secure this job. Did you notice I didn't say earn because you like to mockingly put that word in quotation marks.

The last two outside hires at my center are gone. One had so many accidents we lost count; the other walked out shortly after the Preload Assist Program was implemented and she realized she could no longer control her own dispatch. My point being, they did not value the job because it was handed to them like a gift.

You like to point out that you are a provider for your family. A good family man.
Would you be working for UPS today if the only way you could have "secured" the driving job was through this degree of personal sacrifice?