How to Unionize? Is it possible?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I won't sugar coat it. Organizing a work group that has never been Union is not easy.

To start the process you would need to contact the local Union in your area. you will need a majority of the people in your work group to stand up and say they would vote yes for Union representation. This is where it gets tricky. The company will find out that you are talking to others about Unionizing and will put more pressure on you and those around you than you can even imagine. Companies have been known to fire those people that are brave enough to try and stand up for those around them. Even though it is illegal and most of them get there job back with back pay. So it becomes difficult, even after you have a commitment from the majority, to get them to actually vote for representation when the election comes around.

InsideScoop

I won't sugar coat it. Organizing a work group that has never been Union is not easy.

To start the process you would need to contact the local Union in your area. you will need a majority of the people in your work group to stand up and say they would vote yes for Union representation. This is where it gets tricky. The company will find out that you are talking to others about Unionizing and will put more pressure on you and those around you than you can even imagine. Companies have been known to fire those people that are brave enough to try and stand up for those around them. Even though it is illegal and most of them get there job back with back pay. So it becomes difficult, even after you have a commitment from the majority, to get them to actually vote for representation when the election comes around.
Thank you for this information. The retaliation and intimidation has been my fear. But we need one so bad here! The things they are doing are not fair at all! I just wish we had someone to help fight for us (i.e. A union)

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The short answer is yes. Everyone has the right to Union representation if they are willing to fight for it.

Not necessarily. "Managerial" employees and independent contractors have no such right under the NLRA. InsideScoop's right to organize depends on the nature of the work done in his unit. If it's entirely office/clerical work and they're processing paperwork more than making decisions, then there's a good chance his bargaining unit could organize.

Of course, UPS is highly resistant to letting additional workers unionize and would try to dilute the voting pool by adding in as many mid-level managers as possible.

Quite frankly, I've always thought the PT supervisors should serve a role similar to foremen in a union shop which is a quasi-union/managerial job; they're usually covered under the CBA and can be held more accountable than the other workers. They definitely don't have hire/fire authority and don't even really make managerial decisions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is in the process of fielding job offers for a managerial position in his field (Supply Chain) and each of the offers clearly state that he would be considered to be an at-will employee not eligible for overtime pay; in other words, no union representation or protection.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brown_trousers

Well... Here's the thing... As we all know, the only people within UPS who have access to the Union are our drivers, sorters, etc. Those of us who work in the Operation Centers (i.e. The UPS HRSC, Managers, etc) are unable to. My issue with this, is that working for the HR service center, there's an ABUNDANT of unfair acts/practices that we have been subjected to which has caused such a hostile work environment.

I mean, so bad it would cause a union stewards head to spin in a 360. Things such as retaliation, intimidation, favoritism, targeting certain individuals because they don't like that the person stands up for themselves and speak their minds; I mean the list goes on.

The unfortunate thing about it, is that we have no choice but to sit down and shut up because we have no voice... No one to fight for us. If someone does stand up and fight on our behalf, they're fired. It's sad.

We got hit with some VERY unfair news today and having worked for a unionized company before in the past, I know the power the Union can have when it comes down to fairness and your voice being heard!

That's why I'm here... I need pointers; I need help!

The unfortunate answer to this.... if you and your coworkers have never stood together to confront these issues in the past, there's probably not much hope of banding together now to form a union.

It requires coworkers willing to defend others in bad situations, not just themselves. If this is already happening in your workplace, you might stand a chance of forming a union... without it... its a lost cause

HBGPreloader

I hate to say it, but I doubt anyone else at UPS stands a chance "organizing" within UPS.

While doing searching for something unrelated, I stumbled across an article entitled...
"Unions Forge Secret Pacts With Major Employers"
...in the Wall Street Journal.

Sadly, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Teamster union has a similar agreement with UPS that prevents other classes of workers from organizing because I posed a similar question to a former business agent and he said it just isn't going to happen - period.

Here's a link to the full story...
http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=16558&pst=1049801

And the original on the WSJ website. However, it's only accessible by by subscription...
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...ine.wsj.com/article/SB121038122486582367.html

InsideScoop

My son is in the process of fielding job offers for a managerial position in his field (Supply Chain) and each of the offers clearly state that he would be considered to be an at-will employee not eligible for overtime pay; in other words, no union representation or protection.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Oh wow.

InsideScoop

I hate to say it, but I doubt anyone else at UPS stands a chance "organizing" within UPS.

While doing searching for something unrelated, I stumbled across an article entitled...
"Unions Forge Secret Pacts With Major Employers"
...in the Wall Street Journal.

Sadly, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Teamster union has a similar agreement with UPS that prevents other classes of workers from organizing because I posed a similar question to a former business agent and he said it just isn't going to happen - period.

Here's a link to the full story...
http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=16558&pst=1049801

And the original on the WSJ website. However, it's only accessible by by subscription...
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB121038122486582367?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121038122486582367.html
Good info! Much appreciated.

InsideScoop

The unfortunate answer to this.... if you and your coworkers have never stood together to confront these issues in the past, there's probably not much hope of banding together now to form a union.

It requires coworkers willing to defend others in bad situations, not just themselves. If this is already happening in your workplace, you might stand a chance of forming a union... without it... its a lost cause
Yea, we have people who are determined to have our voices heard. We're tired of the poor treatment, intimidation, and retaliation. The job itself is great, but the environment suuuucks. There's about 45 of us (and even more) who want to get this going... Just unaware of how to get it started.

Future

Victory Ride
Before I FULLY pose my question/concern... Just how "safe" is this site? And by safe I mean... If I wanted to be completely candid about something (situation wise... Not revealing full specifics), could I trust that I will be getting sincere feedback from my fellow upsers? Because I have a serious concern and need help!
I will help you. I have a baseball bat in one hand and a bible in the other, show me the serpent!!

Xexys

Retired and Happy

Sent using BrownCafe App

So he would more than likely be salaried? On call 24/7? Working for free (?) in some instances?