I thought USPS was only getting rural delveries and small packages?

Diego

I have noticed that our Post offices are getting more packages and a large amount are not rural delveries and some are large boxes upto 10lbs. We also got some with a business addresses. I thought Ups was only sending the rural residential thru USPS. Those packages are costing us routes to be cut.

lazydriver

I wonder also? My package was delivered by the USPS but I tracked it on UPS.com. And I am only 20miles from where the package center is located.

mainebrown

i live 1 mile from the ups building, and usps delivered my ll bean package. if ups does this with all its packages...what will we del?...i think its wrong, especially when we r cutting routes left and right, and giving our work to usps

Dustyroads

Certain customers have chosen this shipping option because of it's low price. We've been doing it on rural areas for quite a few years, and yeah, sometimes the packages are going to businesses and not just residences. It really depends on the shipper. One shipper that comes to mind that ships to businesses this method is Direct Checks.

upsgrunt

I thought it was suppose to be light, low cost merchandise. Last week I had a Kitchen Aid blender basic package for one of my Post Offices. That was probably $400 blender; not to mention about 35 pounds. I kidded with the clerk that it would fit nicely in the deliverers mailbag.

Dustyroads

UPS would like that they all be residentials, as they feel they don't make much money on residentials. Most of the shippers that have signed up for the service send to residentials, but certainly not all. In the rural area, it's a huge money saver. Often on rural route delivery will take me 20-30 miles round trip, and take 40 minutes to run. On a one pound box of coffee, they lose their shirts.

Dustyroads

I'd say there are about a dozen shippers that I see their stuff going through the BASIC/usps method. Some of those shippers only target certain shipments, by size or weight or chance, I believe. I get a number of them every day. The biggest pain is that the small town post offices have pretty irregular hours, two hours at lunch and 4 pm closers, so I often have to break off trace and go to another town to make that post office that's closing at 4 pm. Oh well, it's windshield time.

beentheredonethat

i live 1 mile from the ups building, and usps delivered my ll bean package. if ups does this with all its packages...what will we del?...i think its wrong, especially when we r cutting routes left and right, and giving our work to usps
Mainebrown, Distance from the building doesn't determine weather it's a UPS Basic or USPS basic, it's based on the zip code of the recipient, if they live in a zip that is designated for USPS delivery, then that's how it gets delivered.

Also, as a side point, up til 3/2/09 FDX delivered virtually all the LL Bean pkgs, (esp the green bags). Now about 40K pkgs per day are processed and given to UPS, where these pkgs are processed by Teamster hourlies in the hub, moved from the hubs to the ctrs by teamster driviers and processed again by Teamster hourlies in the preload, and handled and delivered by a Teamster to the Post Office. If we didn't offer Basic to LL Bean, they wouldn't have switched due to the additional cost it would have been to utilize UPS for all final mile deliveries. Now, what's better, before virtually nothing with UPS, or now, most everything with UPS?

beentheredonethat

I thought it was suppose to be light, low cost merchandise. Last week I had a Kitchen Aid blender basic package for one of my Post Offices. That was probably $400 blender; not to mention about 35 pounds. I kidded with the clerk that it would fit nicely in the deliverers mailbag.
It should be light, usually 5 lbs or less, but for some customers we go up to 10 lbs. The amount we are billed from the USPS for heavy pkgs makes it very unprofitable for customers to use Basic for the heavier pkgs. (In fact UPS passes the charge along with the rate chart, so that UPS delivery with resi ground is cheaper once it gets heavy (above the 10 lb range).

beentheredonethat

I wonder also? My package was delivered by the USPS but I tracked it on UPS.com. And I am only 20miles from where the package center is located.
The pkg had both a UPS 1Z bar code and the USPS bar code on it. USPS passes thru the information to UPS so we can see the final mile delivery when USPS delivers the pkg.