I"ve earned the right!!!

vantexan

Leave the forum? :choir:

Sorry, couldn't resist! I used to believe if you worked really hard you'd get rewarded for the effort. I worked for a supermarket from 16 to 20. My mgr always found a raise for me and once told me if he had 6 more like me he could get rid of a dozen part-time slackers. They made me feel like part of the family there, not some interchangeable part that gets thrown away when it has become to expensive to keep. FedEx always made demands on it's employees that most other companies don't. Years ago you put up with it because the pay and benefits were good. Now they want the humping without the reward, and when they tell me I'm an important part of the FedEx family it just doesn't ring true.

DontThrowPackages

Agree with MFE. As a newby, I blew my rte up. Vets would tell me,"man you're only hurting yourself". I thought those guys were just lazy people that shouldnt be allowed to work at fedex just to bring the company down. And even after my first review when they raised my SPH in all three cycles, I was gonna show them I can bet those goals too. So after my second check ride and my manager's telling me how I've got this rte down to a science, I thought finally they see me for the super courier I am. My second review this time,I leave my mangers office with a +20 P1 cycle, a +20 mix cycle and a high teens PU cycle and Im on a bulk rte(before FEDEX ground). I think to myself, wow how am I gonna make these numbers. Well, I had my first preventable. Then my second.My Manager pulls me into the office just to let me know, with one more accident I lose my job. I couldn't believe it, this was how I was being rewarded. Im doing the work of 2 couriers and its my fault? for the remainder of the time of my probation period, I used the words " safety issues" every time my manager asked me why I didnt make goal yesterday. "Safety issues". Well we're gonna have to get you a check ride. I hope so, because I see the way " Sara" does her rte and I see I got it all wrong. Needless to say, no check ride...at least til my 6month review where I saw to it my numbers dropped.

Management is instructed to never let the courier get to the carrot so I decided I didnt like carrots.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No it doesn't. If you do the minimum it's still an honest days work and it doesn't mean you have to be Superman everyday like you think. Fred wants employees that will kill themselves out on the road to meet inflaterd goals and then when they get injured or sick from doing so he'll kick 'em to the curb. GET IT?

So we'll call him "lazy" instead of "slacker" and he can still complain when someone blows his numbers out of the water when he's on vacation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So we'll call him "lazy" instead of "slacker" and he can still complain when someone blows his numbers out of the water when he's on vacation.

If someone comes in early and scams me, they know I will get even somewhere down the road. I'll compare my "lazy" to your best day any time.

FedEx2000

Agree with MFE. As a newby, I blew my rte up. Vets would tell me,"man you're only hurting yourself". I thought those guys were just lazy people that shouldnt be allowed to work at fedex just to bring the company down. And even after my first review when they raised my SPH in all three cycles, I was gonna show them I can bet those goals too. So after my second check ride and my manager's telling me how I've got this rte down to a science, I thought finally they see me for the super courier I am. My second review this time,I leave my mangers office with a +20 P1 cycle, a +20 mix cycle and a high teens PU cycle and Im on a bulk rte(before FEDEX ground). I think to myself, wow how am I gonna make these numbers. Well, I had my first preventable. Then my second.My Manager pulls me into the office just to let me know, with one more accident I lose my job. I couldn't believe it, this was how I was being rewarded. Im doing the work of 2 couriers and its my fault? for the remainder of the time of my probation period, I used the words " safety issues" every time my manager asked me why I didnt make goal yesterday. "Safety issues". Well we're gonna have to get you a check ride. I hope so, because I see the way " Sara" does her rte and I see I got it all wrong. Needless to say, no check ride...at least til my 6month review where I saw to it my numbers dropped.

Management is instructed to never let the courier get to the carrot so I decided I didnt like carrots.

The thing some fail to understand is that it's not about running 125% everyday, ideally every courier would run 98-103% everyday, and at the end of the month be at 100% or slightly over. This allows for proper route planning: number of stops/SPH= Number of routes needed to run. Obviously everyday is not the same, but if one consistently runs 110%+, then it stands to reason that the SPH goals on that route are set too low. The goals are raised in order to have accurate SPH for the route, not to force you to do more SPH. Now you run say approx 102% each day, much more preferable for planning, but nothing you do has changed. You don't need to go faster or do anything unsafe, unless you were doing it before to achieve the 110%+, but that was a choice you had already made.

Get an accurate stop count, take the right amount of stops on-road, don't screw your loop partners, run it consistently (Your customers should pretty much be able to set their watch by when you get there each day, barring late freight etc.), double check address/pc count on dels, don't fake DEX scans, and generally just do things the right way and you shouldn't have any problems. Don't get caught up in what the person next to you or across the belt is doing, just make sure you do things the right way and you'll be fine.

vantexan

The thing some fail to understand is that it's not about running 125% everyday, ideally every courier would run 98-103% everyday, and at the end of the month be at 100% or slightly over. This allows for proper route planning: number of stops/SPH= Number of routes needed to run. Obviously everyday is not the same, but if one consistently runs 110%+, then it stands to reason that the SPH goals on that route are set too low. The goals are raised in order to have accurate SPH for the route, not to force you to do more SPH. Now you run say approx 102% each day, much more preferable for planning, but nothing you do has changed. You don't need to go faster or do anything unsafe, unless you were doing it before to achieve the 110%+, but that was a choice you had already made.

Get an accurate stop count, take the right amount of stops on-road, don't screw your loop partners, run it consistently (Your customers should pretty much be able to set their watch by when you get there each day, barring late freight etc.), double check address/pc count on dels, don't fake DEX scans, and generally just do things the right way and you shouldn't have any problems. Don't get caught up in what the person next to you or across the belt is doing, just make sure you do things the right way and you'll be fine.

And then there are couriers who work hard, posting excellent numbers, and management assumes SPH goals are set too low. And yet when swings run the rt, and have done so numerous times, they end up running in the 80's because the regular courier worked hard but wasn't recognized for the effort. FedEx doesn't reward hard work, just looks for any indication that couriers are beating the system somehow and cheating the company out of a nickel.

DontThrowPackages

You're looking at it all wrong. The was point, when I was a rookie, I took much pride in showing my managers how fast I could knock out a day. But my reward was always a higher goal. I used "Sara" as an example but you missed it so I try another way. Imagine Our job is to run the 100 meters dash every day and then go home. I can run the 100 meters in 10 seconds. Everyone else, because of overweight, smokers or old age, their best is 20 seconds.Its an honest 20 second, their absolute best. Now the Fdex point of view isn't, Wow with got one hell of a fast runner. No its, I think we can get him down to 8 seconds if we push him more. "Sara" is 270 pounds and is at top of pay while Im a rookie wondering why I'm killing the Rte and not being rewarded.

CharleyHustle

You forgot "driving on your break".

Goldilocks

Sorry, couldn't resist! I used to believe if you worked really hard you'd get rewarded for the effort. I worked for a supermarket from 16 to 20. My mgr always found a raise for me and once told me if he had 6 more like me he could get rid of a dozen part-time slackers. They made me feel like part of the family there, not some interchangeable part that gets thrown away when it has become to expensive to keep. FedEx always made demands on it's employees that most other companies don't. Years ago you put up with it because the pay and benefits were good. Now they want the humping without the reward, and when they tell me I'm an important part of the FedEx family it just doesn't ring true.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the moral is terrible. Never seen it so low....

:whiteflag:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry, couldn't resist! I used to believe if you worked really hard you'd get rewarded for the effort. I worked for a supermarket from 16 to 20. My mgr always found a raise for me and once told me if he had 6 more like me he could get rid of a dozen part-time slackers. They made me feel like part of the family there, not some interchangeable part that gets thrown away when it has become to expensive to keep. FedEx always made demands on it's employees that most other companies don't. Years ago you put up with it because the pay and benefits were good. Now they want the humping without the reward, and when they tell me I'm an important part of the FedEx family it just doesn't ring true.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the moral is terrible. Never seen it so low....

:whiteflag:

Morale should be terrible given what is happening. That's why nobody should be giving any more than a minimum effort for this company. Just do what you have to, and nothing else. No extra customer service, no second attempts...nothing.

It sounds like you're starting to figure it out. Sorry to have to break it to you, but Fred is not your friend. His friends are in Congress, at other big corporations, and at the country club. Employees are "units of production" to Mr Smith, and you can be replaced as easily as the air cleaner on his limo.

59 Dano

If someone comes in early and scams me, they know I will get even somewhere down the road. I'll compare my "lazy" to your best day any time.

Lifestyles of the Petty and Egotistical. It's like listening to a conceited woman getting catty because another woman wore the same dress to a social function.

FedEx2000

You're looking at it all wrong. The was point, when I was a rookie, I took much pride in showing my managers how fast I could knock out a day. But my reward was always a higher goal. I used "Sara" as an example but you missed it so I try another way. Imagine Our job is to run the 100 meters dash every day and then go home. I can run the 100 meters in 10 seconds. Everyone else, because of overweight, smokers or old age, their best is 20 seconds.Its an honest 20 second, their absolute best. Now the Fdex point of view isn't, Wow with got one hell of a fast runner. No its, I think we can get him down to 8 seconds if we push him more. "Sara" is 270 pounds and is at top of pay while Im a rookie wondering why I'm killing the Rte and not being rewarded.

I understand what you're saying. My point is don't worry about "Sara", it will just drive you crazy. Just worry about doing it right yourself. If, to quote your example, 10 seconds in the 100 meters is the best you can legitimately do, fine.....keep asking for that checkride. Just be careful what you ask for, b/c if by some chance you crush it that day or you are shown a better/quicker way to do something, your goal might go up b/c of it. You aren't going to get paid the same as the 20+ year person next to you, doesn't matter if you run circles around them all day long, you just won't....it doesn't work that way. Many jobs pay more based on experience rather than actual production, not all, but many. Either accept this, or let it drive you crazy....your choice.

Again, you don't need to go out and "kill" the route, just run a consistent 98-103%. Not saying what "Sara" is doing is right, but there is little to nothing you can do to change it. Eventually your mgr will have to address "Sara's" lack of production, or more likely she will get "hurt" and not make it back within 90 days. Goals shouldn't be set to "accommodate" someone's weight/age/gender/etc......not saying it doesn't happen, but it shouldn't. If you are doing 20 SPH, and then take a new route, whoever takes over your route should be expected to do the same SPH you were doing on it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lifestyles of the Petty and Egotistical. It's like listening to a conceited woman getting catty because another woman wore the same dress to a social function.

No, it's called protecting your own interests. Since you aren't a courier, I'll explain it slowly for you. If you know that a Purple Suck Ass (PSA) s going to do your route on vacation, it's smart to sit this person down and explain that you don't want to be made to look bad because PSA will come in 20 mins early to sort the truck, deliver or pickup pkgs during a short or non-break, and otherwise cut corners to look like a "superstar". I simply tell them that it wouldn't be in their best interests to do this.

Maybe your boss in PR can explain it to you.

59 Dano

No, it's called protecting your own interests. Since you aren't a courier, I'll explain it slowly for you. If you know that a Purple Suck Ass (PSA) s going to do your route on vacation, it's smart to sit this person down and explain that you don't want to be made to look bad because PSA will come in 20 mins early to sort the truck, deliver or pickup pkgs during a short or non-break, and otherwise cut corners to look like a "superstar". I simply tell them that it wouldn't be in their best interests to do this.

Anyone that would threaten another employee for outperforming him on his route is a real egotistical and self-centered piece of work. Get over yourself. Some couriers get shown up from time to time by swings and PT couriers who sub for them. They say, "Wow, you did a killer job" and go on about their business because they generally do a fine job, and on that day the other guy did a better job. Others start making all kinds of excuses. Guess how good of a job they normally do.