%$@#&* Identity thieves!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Some hacker was able to forge a physical duplicate of my wife's debit card. They went on a little shopping spree down in California, swiping the card at point-of-purchase outlets where no PIN was required. They emptied out our checking account, and then maxed out our overdraft protection credit line before the bank froze the account and called my wife at work to inquire how it was that 2 identical cards were being swiped on the same day 1000 miles apart. They got us for about $1800. Fortunately, that was the balance in our account after we had just paid about $5K in first-of-the-month bills, mortgage etc. so nothing bounced; if they had hit us 1 or 2 days earlier we would have had an avalanche of bounced checks to deal with, and the thieves would have gotten a lot more money. We filed a fraud claim with the bank as well as police report with our local police department, and found out that others who dined at a local restraunt and paid with debit cards were reporting similar problems. Someone probably put a "skimmer" on the card reader. Its is frightening and stressful to go thru something like this. The bank is processing our claim and said that we will probably be made whole in 7-10 days. My heart goes out to other, low-income victims for whom the complete draining of their checking account for a week or more would be financially devastating. For us, this has boiled down to the hassle of my wife spending 3-4 hours on the phone, filling out forms, and transferring funds from savings. We can use other credit cards until matters get sorted out, our bills are still being paid and we will eat and be OK.

I'd like to find whoever did this and KICK THEIR ASS!:angry:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Some hacker was able to forge a physical duplicate of my wife's debit card. They went on a little shopping spree down in California, swiping the card at point-of-purchase outlets where no PIN was required. They emptied out our checking account, and then maxed out our overdraft protection credit line before the bank froze the account and called my wife at work to inquire how it was that 2 identical cards were being swiped on the same day 1000 miles apart. They got us for about $1800. Fortunately, that was the balance in our account after we had just paid about $5K in first-of-the-month bills, mortgage etc. so nothing bounced; if they had hit us 1 or 2 days earlier we would have had an avalanche of bounced checks to deal with, and the thieves would have gotten a lot more money. We filed a fraud claim with the bank as well as police report with our local police department, and found out that others who dined at a local restraunt and paid with debit cards were reporting similar problems. Someone probably put a "skimmer" on the card reader. Its is frightening and stressful to go thru something like this. The bank is processing our claim and said that we will probably be made whole in 7-10 days. My heart goes out to other, low-income victims for whom the complete draining of their checking account for a week or more would be financially devastating. For us, this has boiled down to the hassle of my wife spending 3-4 hours on the phone, filling out forms, and transferring funds from savings. We can use other credit cards until matters get sorted out, our bills are still being paid and we will eat and be OK.

That's too bad........i hate those crimes where I kind of don't get how they do it. Pull a weapon and take my money, I understand. So, how is this avoided? Pay cash when you go out to eat?
So, the actual crime took place in Oregon and the spending trail was in CA.? Does that complicate anything?

P

pickup

I needed a checking account and knew that by virtue of getting one, it would come with a debit card. I got the checking account at a bank different than the one I have my savings account in because if I didn't, the bank would have linked the two accounts, and the overdraft "protection" would allow a potential id thief to drain my checking and savings account. I never use the debit card, it never leaves the house.

I certainly would never ever let the card be held by anyone but me.

P

pickup

We can use other credit cards until matters get sorted out, our bills are still being paid and we will eat and be OK.

I would suggest , for the future, if you need to use a card, always use the credit card. If that gets "hacked" , the money misappropriated comes from the credit card company, not your checking account. You don't need to wait to be made "whole".

Ever consider being a cash and carry man?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't even know how many different cards the bank throws at people these days. We have a credit card from somewhere different from our checking account. I shredded the ATM card, debit card, whatever it's called they gave me. When the bank teller asks for my ATM card I tell her it's against my religion. What can she say?

If they just want ID, I show them the driver's license.

soberups

I would suggest , for the future, if you need to use a card, always use the credit card. If that gets "hacked" , the money misappropriated comes from the credit card company, not your checking account. You don't need to wait to be made "whole".

Ever consider being a cash and carry man?

Kinda tough to do in this day and age. Last weekend, for example, I spent almost $300 at Costco, $65 on gas, $55 to get my oil changed, $35 on new wiper blades for my car, and then my wife and I went out to dinner at a nice restraunt and she had a bottle of good wine ($90). Most banks only allow $300 per day withdrawals at ATM's, and then you are hauling around a big wad of cash with you. My wife carries a purse that could potentially get snatched, so she almost never has more than $40 cash on her at any one time. Debit cards have risks, as we have just discovered, but we have used one on literally tens of thousands of occasions over the last 20 years and this is the first time we have ever had a problem, so from a statistical standpoint it is still a safe way to manage money if proper precautions are taken.

rod

Retired 22 years
We put everything on the old credit card (the balance automaticaly gets paid every month). We do it for the free miles so we can visit the Grandkids in Texas. It works for us-------don't try this if you can't afford to pay off the card every month

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would suggest , for the future, if you need to use a card, always use the credit card. If that gets "hacked" , the money misappropriated comes from the credit card company, not your checking account. You don't need to wait to be made "whole". Ever consider being a cash and carry man?

The whole point of using/carrying a credit card is that it is the same as cash without carrying cash. Why run up the balance on the credit card, especially when you have the cash in your checking account? The only time I will use a credit card over a debit card is for online purchases for the reasons you mentioned and I always pay the balance in full every month.

I have also found that money tends to burn a hole in my pocket.

I would almost rather be held up at gunpoint rather than the way Sober and his wife were held up. At least that way you can see the scumbag.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We put everything on the old credit card (the balance automaticaly gets paid every month). We do it for the free miles so we can visit the Grandkids in Texas. It works for us-------don't try this if you can't afford to pay off the card every month
That's what we do! Only We get rewards so I get all kinds of restaurant gift cards and shopping cards and use some for giving as gifts. People don't go out to eat when they are young married and watching the money, so a $50 gift to Outback or Chili's is fun for them.
And right, paid in full each month.....interest should be earned and not paid!!

P

pickup

If you go back to that restaurant, see if you can take a look at where and who does the scanning of the card there. Is it the waiter that does it or someone standing behind a register does it. It is very possible that you have met the person that initiated this scam.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you go back to that restaurant, see if you can take a look at where and who does the scanning of the card there. Is it the waiter that does it or someone standing behind a register does it. It is very possible that you have met the person that initiated this scam.

I would think that if a number of people who ate there the same night also had their debit cards duplicated the police would have been notified and an investigation initiated. I would be very curious if an employee quit or was let go shortly thereafter.

Think back to when they used to run our cards through the embosser on the forms with the carbon paper and then just threw the carbon paper away.

soberups

The whole point of using/carrying a credit card is that it is the same as cash without carrying cash. Why run up the balance on the credit card, especially when you have the cash in your checking account? The only time I will use a credit card over a debit card is for online purchases for the reasons you mentioned and I always pay the balance in full every month.

I have also found that money tends to burn a hole in my pocket.

Iwould almost rather be held up at gunpoint rather than the way Sober and his wife were held up. At least that way you can see the scumbag.

I prefer what happened to us over being held up at gunpoint. No one got hurt, we will get our money back, and I didnt have to go home and change my shorts when it was all over.:happy2:

soberups

I would think that if a number of people who ate there the same night also had their debit cards duplicated the police would have been notified and an investigation initiated. I would be very curious if an employee quit or was let go shortly thereafter.

Think back to when they used to run our cards through the embosser on the forms with the carbon paper and then just threw the carbon paper away.

The police are looking into it, which is the only reason I havent gone back there myself and raised hell. It is also possible that the restraunt itself was the victim of some sort of hacking.

texan

I prefer what happened to us over being held up at gunpoint. No one got hurt, we will get our money back, and I didnt have to go home and change my shorts when it was all over.:happy2:

Or lose your life, or your wifes life. Many robbers kill all witnesses without a thought nowdays.

soberups

Or lose your life, or your wifes life. Many robbers kill all witnesses without a thought nowdays.

My wife and I have discussed what my response will be if we are ever the victims of an armed robbery.

My general thought is that taking a human life...even a scumbag's....is not worth my iphone and the 2 credit cards and $38 that I might have in my wallet. If my intuition at the time is that we are dealing with some scared junkie kid with a knife who just wants some quick cash....odds are hes going to get my cash and as long as he turns tail and runs away as soon as he gets it, then no one will get hurt and that is the best possible outcome of all.

If, however, my intuition tells me that the robber is not going to be satisfied with my iphone and 2 credit cards and $38...then unfortunately for him/them we arrive at Plan B.

texan

My wife and I have discussed what my response will be if we are ever the victims of an armed robbery.

My general thought is that taking a human life...even a scumbag's....is not worth my iphone and the 2 credit cards and $38 that I might have in my wallet. If my intuition at the time is that we are dealing with some scared junkie kid with a knife who just wants some quick cash....odds are hes going to get my cash and as long as he turns tail and runs away as soon as he gets it, then no one will get hurt and that is the best possible outcome of all.

If, however, my intuition tells me that the robber is not going to be satisfied with my iphone and 2 credit cards and $38...then unfortunately for him/them we arrive at Plan B.

A tuff place to be in. I really understand. I concur.

Not a good example, but like Crocodile Dundee....

[video=youtube;sLS3RGesIFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ[/video]

Last edited: