if 22.4 was eliminated and just more RPCD's were hired would you vote yes

PT Car Washer

the bulk of the 22.4's is supposedly coming from pters, so i dont think the turnover rate will be that high, theres so many seasonal people that beg to just be on preload so that they can eventually drive, and about once a week someone will ask me if theyre hiring drivers, most people would love to not be a cashier or some other menial job and make decent money on the weekends, and are you referencing the southern supplement
Get real. No one wants to work at UPS, FT or PT. Except for maybe work release inmates who are required to have a job.

Box Ox

In the event the Company needs additional staffing to cover Saturday or Sunday ground deliveries, such work shall first be offered to RPCDs as set forth above, then to Article 22.4 combination drivers on their scheduled off day" i dont see how a 22.4 would work t-sun if work is doled out to RPCD's first

Note the "additional staffing to cover Saturday or Sunday ground deliveries" language. They won't need "additional staffing". They'll hire up to their 25% 22.4 allowance and then cram every stop they can onto 22.4 weekend routes.

the bulk of the 22.4's is supposedly coming from pters, so i dont think the turnover rate will be that high, theres so many seasonal people that beg to just be on preload so that they can eventually drive, and about once a week someone will ask me if theyre hiring drivers, most people would love to not be a cashier or some other menial job and make decent money on the weekends, and are you referencing the southern supplement

The FT driver job that PTers have been desiring is not the job they'd be getting as a 22.4. Never would have gone FT driving if it had to have been as a 22.4. Would prefer to stay PT over the long term versus a short tenure as a 22.4 who'd be driven into the ground and burned out in no time.

browl movement

Note the "additional staffing to cover Saturday or Sunday ground deliveries" language. They won't need "additional staffing". They'll hire up to their 25% 22.4 allowance and then cram every stop they can onto 22.4 weekend routes.

The FT driver job that PTers have been desiring is not the job they'd be getting as a 22.4. Never would have gone FT driving if it had to have been as a 22.4. Would prefer to stay PT over the long term versus a short tenure as a 22.4 who'd be driven into the ground and burned out in no time.
if RPCD routes and work are cut on the weekdays, wouldn't it logically make sense that many of them would turn to the weekend to recoup those hours, theyd be coming in droves, and since they have first dibs at the work, the 22.4 would again be at bay and the 25 percent figure wouldnt come into play, those bricked routes would go to RPCD's

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Difference in where you are. Here no part timers want to drive. They see what drivers deal with every day

Box Ox

if RPCD routes and work are cut on the weekdays, wouldn't it logically make sense that many of them would turn to the weekend to recoup those hours, theyd be coming in droves, and since they have first dibs at the work, the 22.4 would again be at bay and the 25 percent figure wouldnt come into play, those bricked routes would go to RPCD's

RPCDs have first dibs at "Additional work" on the weekends. Not a first shot at work, period.

browl movement

Get real. No one wants to work at UPS, FT or PT. Except for maybe work release inmates who are required to have a job.
i work next to many felons driving trucks everyday already, all you have to do is ask and you'd be shocked at the number with felonies, many appreciate that they're willing to pay a felon 100k a year instead of 8.00 an hour to work for staffing company

Box Ox

which article is that under

It's right in what you just posted:

"In the event the Company needs additional staffing to cover Saturday or Sunday ground deliveries, such work shall first be offered to RPCDs as set forth above, then to Article 22.4 combination drivers on their scheduled off day" i dont see how a 22.4 would work t-sun if work is doled out to RPCD's first"

browl movement

It's right in what you just posted:

"In the event the Company needs additional staffing to cover Saturday or Sunday ground deliveries, such work shall first be offered to RPCDs as set forth above, then to Article 22.4 combination drivers on their scheduled off day" i dont see how a 22.4 would work t-sun if work is doled out to RPCD's first"
Exactly, it doesn't specify that its already guaranteed to a 22.4 it says that if the volunteers that already exist(RPCD) don't meet the volume demands, then it will be offered to other RPCD's first, its pretty ambiguous, but it doesn't out right say that weekend work is solely for 22.4's. And i don't believe that it was meant to be interpreted the way you are interpreting it

browl movement

Sure but ain't no way in hell that is happening.
I don't blame UPS for trying to stay competive and having some sort of way to mitigate volume spikes, diluting the work force with 5000 RPCD's would crash the basic model they've been using of supply and demand for drivers. they have that extra driver in on deck when need be helps them be more competitive then im all for it because it drives the stock up and helps the ptimers move up in pay, and alleviates OT

JustDeliverIt

All the company has to do is hire more RPCD's and go thru the bidding process as it normally occurs every two years (or at least that is how it is run here). Low seniority has the weekend routes until they put their time in to bid out of those positions. No need for a lower paid driver, just put the time in to not deliver on the weekends.
And if they do keep the 22.4 classification, there is no reason they should be paid less as a full time driver's position. They will be working weekends (should be premium pay) and the company will decide where they are working (inside or driving/how long at each every day). That flexibility should be worth being paid more. Instead they get less.

Box Ox

Exactly, it doesn't specify that its already guaranteed to a 22.4 it says that if the volunteers that already exist(RPCD) don't meet the volume demands, then it will be offered to other RPCD's first, its pretty ambiguous, but it doesn't out right say that weekend work is solely for 22.4's. And i don't believe that it was meant to be interpreted the way you are interpreting it

The 22.4 drivers will have to have been completely exhausted on weekends before M-friend RPCDs get a shot at any of the work.

F

Frankie's Friend

Im not trying to convince anyone to vote yes, i could less give a damn what you do. Im telling you that im voting yes, and the reasons im voting yes, and want to discuss the different angles of the contract, this is like a part 2 to a post i made yesterday, but what i got from it made me think, If this 2 tier wage scale is such a problem, then how would you feel if every 22.4 was hired as RPCD driver, theyd have protections etc, there would be not enough work for the majority of them due to the lack of seniority so itd be more of a dog and pony show to say they added more FT work, hell their qualification period would take as long the progression. If they were actually implemented into the lineup itd be even more detrimental to those who desire OT, if they end up shuffling the lions share of the work for the weekends, then theres even less work on the weekdays and everyone loses, with this new 22.4 idea, theres some language limiting the amount of them being able to be implemented to 25 percent, which is high, not that its perfect, but thats why its a negotiation, to not get into debates about different regions lets use the southern region supplemental agreement as a base language and if yours is different then you can mention that. Im focusing on the 22.4 aspect of the contract because thats what seems to make people balk at it the most.
Dude, if there wasnt enough work for a package car opportunity the company wouldn't bid one now would they?
Accupoco gold? Or straight crack in your pipe?

If there's package car work then package car jobs should be bid....not some watered down, jackwagon of a hybrid cluster of a job delivering package car work with little protection from gorging and puking on stop counts like peak every day.

And stealing package car drivers work is about the Cadillac if all ideas that will screw ft drivers over until kingdom come.

Great post dude.
Lacks common sense.

ixtab

I don't blame UPS for trying to stay competive and having some sort of way to mitigate volume spikes, diluting the work force with 5000 RPCD's would crash the basic model they've been using of supply and demand for drivers. they have that extra driver in on deck when need be helps them be more competitive then im all for it because it drives the stock up and helps the ptimers move up in pay, and alleviates OT
pay no mind to browl movement "new member" with friend**ed up posts, is either a troll or a SUP, in our Center, ALL TCD's on their packets are being disqualified. UPS is hoping to bring them back as 22.5 drivers after contract. That is the company we work for. Don't believe me? Try to find someone on their packet past day 38 (they are allowed to extend them 10 days.)

F

Frankie's Friend

thats a bit of a strawman because what you said is making a lot of assumptions that would take a while to get into, there isnt a progression for preload, so its apples and oranges, everyone gets around the same except for those who have been with the company much longer which, if there were excellent pre loaders making 18 an hour hogging all the work and people wanted to come in the door to an entry level job to make less, but still have a foot in the door to make 18, then that outlandish scenario could compare to whats going on with the drivers

much like a TCD can become a FT driver, an 22.4 can also, i dont see where it says that theyre stuck there forever, Theres a lot of TCD's that that make more than people that've been here a while, so the progression won't go in vain when they go full time
Dude, think about this...

If the company siphons off pkg car work to put in 22.4 clusters there will be LESS pkg car bids in the future becuz you've already gave them the right to reduce volume to reg pkg car drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What part of this isn't about OT do you not understand?

This is about the company getting cheaper labor. Which we should be laughing at while they make 6,7,8 billion dollars.

You're either management, a union shill or too dumb to see what's going on. Any way not worth my time.