Illegal Anti-Union Meetings

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Stated policy is a 30 hour max for Part-timers. At my location, and many others, nobody who is PT gets 30. It does depend on the station, but I'll bet most of them are adhering to the 30 rule. I keep in touch with employees from all over the country, and most of them are getting less than 40 FT and way less than 30 PT.

That's nice. Most of the people you are in touch with don't get 30, and most of the ones I'm in touch with get more than 30. Now, what that actually means to anyone reading is a mystery (my guess: it means jack), but by all means, let's make a federal case out of that, too!

It just dawned on me -- picking battles isn't your strong point and I won't get into your execution of them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know, nor do I care, why they use the language they use -- the meetings are legal. You can look it up.

You are sounding more and more like a troll with every post, but I'll bite on this one. Management is required to be "neutral" and cannot actively advocate either for or against unionization.That's why the verbage of the anti-union meetings is so carefully crafted...by FedEx Legal. By calling them "information sessions" and controlling the content so the senior manager cannot deviate from the script, he/she cannot wander off into the land of the illegal.

IMO, they're not legal, and according to both the RLA and the NLRA they're not legal either. FedEx isn't supposed to be actively anti-union, but they have been for 36 years and counting. You're kind of slow, but have you ever wondered why Fred always has this exact same comment when asked about unionization of FedEx Express. "FedEx is not against unions in any way". That covers him legally. The reality is something else that you choose to ignore.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Excuse me, but what the hell do you know about me?

I'm treated well. From the sound of things, I'm treated MUCH better than you, and I'd go so far to say that I deserve much better treatment than you given your pathetic attitude.

I guess there are only two classifications of employees: Those like you, and those who "bend over and take it."

As I said, when your only answer is a hammer...

If you drink the Kool-Aid long enough, you start losing brain cells. I know it's tasty, but stop now for the sake of your friends and family. You must be pretty flexible to be such a happy employee. Keep on grabbing those ankles and see how Fred rewards you.

bbsam

Staff member
I have to admit that I have learned quite a bit from you as to how FedEx and all of its components operate and it is so different from my experiences here at UPS. I have also learned a lot about the contractor side of the equation from bbsam and I would like to thank you both for the crash course in FedEx 101.

I have also learned that you have disgruntled employees there as well (Mr FedEX) and those who appear to be brainwashed (Fed Ex All The Way). I have learned little of importance from either of them and could go on living if I never read another post from either of them.

Ricochet1a and bbsam, I look forward to more posts from you on this subject. It is unfortunate that success for one of you may indeed result in failure for the other and, from where I sit, I do think it is the Ground component that will come out on top after the dust settles.
i will take that as a compliment and thank-you for it. i also would regret losing the likes of ricochet from the company. it really is refreshing to be able to disagree in an adult manner and still respect the other's position. and while i think he's mostly wrong most of the time i do admire mrfedex's passion. featw, i don't really understand her because the dynamic always seems to be an oil/water clash with mrfedex.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

It is illegal for FedEx to tell US, the FRONTLINERS not to talk about the Union, but they are limited in what negativity they can spout about it. Ask anyone who has been chastised for being a union "sympathizer".

I PERSONALLY can't wait until the day I can say "yes or no" and it be MY decision as to wether or not we go union. I have taken it upon myself to help educate my fellow couriers, handlers and anyone else who asks, about the union. I am fortunate enough to have family that worked in a union environment, then as an independent, then as a FedEx courier and CSA, and is now back in a union job. He was gone for over 10 years and he still has a PENSION!! Can Fred "purple promise" me that? You're more likely to get the chartreuse bruise....:knockedout:

FedEx All the Way!

mrfedex is nothing more than a troll.He hates is job.loves UPS but doesnt have the to quit fedex.

YOU SAID IT!
Dental Insurance -- currently subsidized 20/80 expect it to go 50/50 - same as Health Insurance response, and how many people have dental coverage at their job?

Vision Insurance -- currently subsidized 20/80 expect it to go 50/50 - same as Dental Insurance response

Life Insurance -- currently subsidized 20/80 expect it to go 50/50 - isn't the minimum coverage free?

Long Term Care Insurance not subsidized - why should it be?

Tuition Reimbursement changed to make it worthless - mostly due to abuse by employees - FedEx pays thousands $$ for employees to get an education and they often immediately leave the company. Not a good investment. Any money given toward tuition is a savings to the student, not a right.

Pension Plan - no company match, and required because they started it - cry on the shoulder of all the working people in this country that have ZERO pension plans.

Jumpseat Privileges -- gone. Last I heard they were reinstated, but since I don't use it anymore, I could be behind. Expensive for the company, and gosh, I think the pilots aren't happy about the threat of hammer attacks from disgruntled employees. I used it many many times. Greatest flights I've ever had, bar none!

Reduced Airline Tickets -- honored by only certain airlines - so we have to invest some time finding what we want? Big deal.

Reduced Purchase Price at many corporations that offer them to FedEx employees -- worthless, often get better deals with sales - I utilize this very regularly - my budget thanks me.

Some personal advice to MrFedEx - Please start changing your tune about the company you work for. No sense being a disgruntled employee, life is toooooo short. If all of the above makes you so unhappy working at FedEx - please find yourself work elsewhere and see what, if any, benefits in today's economy would come your way.

I bet UPS is just waiting to jump at the chance to have you on their side. They are just waiting to give you all the benefits -
they do have that ceremonial chair just waiting for you to sit on!

So please, anyone out there at UPS that has the upper hand in hiring, take Mr. Troll (ooppss! MrFedEx) over to your side.

Thanks to all,:peaceful:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
YOU SAID IT!
Dental Insurance -- currently subsidized 20/80 expect it to go 50/50 - same as Health Insurance response, and how many people have dental coverage at their job?

Vision Insurance -- currently subsidized 20/80 expect it to go 50/50 - same as Dental Insurance response

Life Insurance -- currently subsidized 20/80 expect it to go 50/50 - isn't the minimum coverage free?

Long Term Care Insurance not subsidized - why should it be?

Tuition Reimbursement changed to make it worthless - mostly due to abuse by employees - FedEx pays thousands $$ for employees to get an education and they often immediately leave the company. Not a good investment. Any money given toward tuition is a savings to the student, not a right.

Pension Plan - no company match, and required because they started it - cry on the shoulder of all the working people in this country that have ZERO pension plans.

Jumpseat Privileges -- gone. Last I heard they were reinstated, but since I don't use it anymore, I could be behind. Expensive for the company, and gosh, I think the pilots aren't happy about the threat of hammer attacks from disgruntled employees. I used it many many times. Greatest flights I've ever had, bar none!

Reduced Airline Tickets -- honored by only certain airlines - so we have to invest some time finding what we want? Big deal.

Reduced Purchase Price at many corporations that offer them to FedEx employees -- worthless, often get better deals with sales - I utilize this very regularly - my budget thanks me.

Some personal advice to MrFedEx - Please start changing your tune about the company you work for. No sense being a disgruntled employee, life is toooooo short. If all of the above makes you so unhappy working at FedEx - please find yourself work elsewhere and see what, if any, benefits in today's economy would come your way.

I bet UPS is just waiting to jump at the chance to have you on their side. They are just waiting to give you all the benefits -
they do have that ceremonial chair just waiting for you to sit on!

So please, anyone out there at UPS that has the upper hand in hiring, take Mr. Troll (ooppss! MrFedEx) over to your side.

Thanks to all,:peaceful:

You don't work for the company, your husband does. That means you've never jumpseated and your comments are lies. The jumpseater who attacked the crew was a fellow FedEx pilot, who was upset because he was going to get fired. For the record, there is currently no personal jumpseat.

Our medical and dental benefits are not very good and the vision "plan" is a joke. You can do better by just paying out of pocket on the vision, and CIGNA has never seen a medical claim they like....they deny all the time. Their former head of PR just finished testifying in front of Congress last week, and CIGNA didn't fare well. And if you don't mind that your doctor got his MD from the Botswana Academy of Witch Doctors, they've got a fine selection of providers. Dental yearly limits are way too low, and if anything major happens it's straight out of your pocket.

Here's the big one...the Portable Pension Plan, which isn't a pension at all because nobody but a hobo could live off of it. They killed the real pension plan last year, and that one was about half what a union pension would be.

The other benefits you mentioned are largely worthless. Please do a little more research before your next post...this one is more mindless than usual, especially the lies. I actually work there...don't you think I can spot it when you say crap that isn't even remotely true?

FedEX 4 Life

I'd be lying if i said i could last a week at UPS.They can keep thier job.I'll take the stress free job instead.Heres the way i see it.Most union jobs i know of,the managers dont really bother the employees for fear of the union coming down on them but thats absolutely not the case at UPS.Managers are always coming down and nit picking for stupid little things.Terminating employees for dumb crap left and right.It is definatly not like that at Fedex and we DONT have a union.Shouldnt it be the reverse?

Does anyone else see sometihng wrong here?

Broke

I'd be lying if i said i could last a week at UPS.They can keep thier job.I'll take the stress free job instead.Heres the way i see it.Most union jobs i know of,the managers dont really bother the employees for fear of the union coming down on them but thats absolutely not the case at UPS.Managers are always coming down and nit picking for stupid little things.Terminating employees for dumb crap left and right.It is definatly not like that at Fedex and we DONT have a union.Shouldnt it be the reverse?

Does anyone else see sometihng wrong here?
I see a good bit wrong here. How do you know that UPS terminates employees left and right? How do you know UPS management is always coming down and nit picking?

I've heard my managers say the same old bull**** you just said. Are you really a manager trying to cast fear into the minds of any couriers that might be reading this thread?

FedEX 4 Life

Maybe your right, but I can promise you the problem is worse at Fedex since we don't have a grevience process.
What about GFT? And yes the supivisors for UPS nit pick.You are telling me they dont?Read all the threads on this forum complaining about management.Now u are saying everything is ok?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What about GFT? And yes the supivisors for UPS nit pick.You are telling me they dont?Read all the threads on this forum complaining about management.Now u are saying everything is ok?

GFT??...do you know what that acronym really stands for? It means Guaranteed Effed Treatment. The GFT and Open Door processes are both ways for you to complain about a legitimate issue and then have management tell you you're in the wrong. Both are a complete joke and are not legitimate grievance procedures. Why? Because management almost always backs up management. You can take it all the way to the top, and unless you're a minority (Legal gets real scared), you will lose the vast majority of the time.

I take it back.You are a 5 watt bulb if you believe in GFT. The Easter Bunny is coming over to my house for pizza tonight...want to meet him?

Ricochet1a

GFT.... Are you kidding!!!!

GFT is a process where FedEx can make sure any action taken by an operations manager receives a legal review to protect the interest of FedEx from possible litigation from the effected employee. It doesn't exist to protect the employee, it serves to protect FedEx from over zealous Ops managers. In the case where an Ops manager oversteps their bounds, FedEx will "correct" the discipline imposed. It ISN'T an arbitration process, it is a corporate litigaton avoidance process!!!

I've had first hand experience with FedEx's "guilty until one can prove their innocence" method. I'm not going to give details of my personal experiences, but the first time I was faced with this situation, I was dumbfounded that I was treated as being guilty of something with just an accusation. I was able to prove my innocence, by picking apart the inconsistancies in the "evidence" presented against me (thank God I've got an analytical mind and am educated). It was a case of personal vendetta pure and simple, and I had to PROVE my innocence, NOT the other way around.

FedEx will often place employees in a one on one meeting with the HR rep (who is "supposed" to protect the interest of the employees) when something occurs, and there are conflicting accounts (as there is almost always). The HR rep will take the role of cop, and attempt to get the employee to admit to something, anything and then make a written statement. Oftentimes, the less savy employees will see this as an opportunity to admit to a "lesser" offense, in order to make the one they are being accused of "go away". FedEx takes the written statement, and uses that as self incriminating evidence to issue a warning letter.

When a HR rep or manager asks for a written statement, tell them NOTHING. Take the opportunity to create a journal of your typical day: I clocked in at X, got my equipment and proceeded to my vehicle to perform a pre-trip inspection as specified by FedEx and DOT regulations, . etc, etc. Don't admit you may not have come to a complete and absolute stop for 3 seconds before proceeding, don't admit that you may have neglected to fasten your seat belt when driving away from one stop. Don't admit to anything. It is the employee that gives FedEx such a seemingly minor admission in a written statement that finds themself with a warning letter. It is the burden of FedEx to produce overwhelming evidence that you did something wrong. Even in administrative manners, I make FedEx pull up original documents before I'll sign the white paper that states that I made a mistake. I've been able to show FedEx is in the wrong about 2/3rds of the time. (I do a couple of times a year enter a ZIP code wrong in a PUP, I'm human, and during the winter, entering data with gloved fingers is difficult).

Don't EVEN try to tell me about the wonderful process FedEx has of collecting evidence and imposing discipline where it is warranted. FedEx knows it cannot levy "justice" so it protects its own interest and the employees can either hope for the best or quit or hire representation. I've learned to document EVERYTHING that is out of the ordinary. I have a holographic (handwritten) account of everything that could affect me, and I type that into a computer format so I can pull up the data quickly if need be (I NEVER let FedEx have my holographic notes). The second time something popped up that I had to defend myself against, I printed out my computer notes and handed them to my senior and HR rep. The issue died within 24 hours. Having my notebook is better than having a lawyer on retainer, they know I write down everything that is out of the ordinary. I haven't had problems since.

FedEX 4 Life

GFT.... Are you kidding!!!!

GFT is a process where FedEx can make sure any action taken by an operations manager receives a legal review to protect the interest of FedEx from possible litigation from the effected employee. It doesn't exist to protect the employee, it serves to protect FedEx from over zealous Ops managers. In the case where an Ops manager oversteps their bounds, FedEx will "correct" the discipline imposed. It ISN'T an arbitration process, it is a corporate litigaton avoidance process!!!

I've had first hand experience with FedEx's "guilty until one can prove their innocence" method. I'm not going to give details of my personal experiences, but the first time I was faced with this situation, I was dumbfounded that I was treated as being guilty of something with just an accusation. I was able to prove my innocence, by picking apart the inconsistancies in the "evidence" presented against me (thank God I've got an analytical mind and am educated). It was a case of personal vendetta pure and simple, and I had to PROVE my innocence, NOT the other way around.

FedEx will often place employees in a one on one meeting with the HR rep (who is "supposed" to protect the interest of the employees) when something occurs, and there are conflicting accounts (as there is almost always). The HR rep will take the role of cop, and attempt to get the employee to admit to something, anything and then make a written statement. Oftentimes, the less savy employees will see this as an opportunity to admit to a "lesser" offense, in order to make the one they are being accused of "go away". FedEx takes the written statement, and uses that as self incriminating evidence to issue a warning letter.

When a HR rep or manager asks for a written statement, tell them NOTHING. Take the opportunity to create a journal of your typical day: I clocked in at X, got my equipment and proceeded to my vehicle to perform a pre-trip inspection as specified by FedEx and DOT regulations, . etc, etc. Don't admit you may not have come to a complete and absolute stop for 3 seconds before proceeding, don't admit that you may have neglected to fasten your seat belt when driving away from one stop. Don't admit to anything. It is the employee that gives FedEx such a seemingly minor admission in a written statement that finds themself with a warning letter. It is the burden of FedEx to produce overwhelming evidence that you did something wrong. Even in administrative manners, I make FedEx pull up original documents before I'll sign the white paper that states that I made a mistake. I've been able to show FedEx is in the wrong about 2/3rds of the time. (I do a couple of times a year enter a ZIP code wrong in a PUP, I'm human, and during the winter, entering data with gloved fingers is difficult).

Don't EVEN try to tell me about the wonderful process FedEx has of collecting evidence and imposing discipline where it is warranted. FedEx knows it cannot levy "justice" so it protects its own interest and the employees can either hope for the best or quit or hire representation. I've learned to document EVERYTHING that is out of the ordinary. I have a holographic (handwritten) account of everything that could affect me, and I type that into a computer format so I can pull up the data quickly if need be (I NEVER let FedEx have my holographic notes). The second time something popped up that I had to defend myself against, I printed out my computer notes and handed them to my senior and HR rep. The issue died within 24 hours. Having my notebook is better than having a lawyer on retainer, they know I write down everything that is out of the ordinary. I haven't had problems since.
This is good to know.Ive never really got into to trouble but now i have a few poiners.Back to my point,ive never seen a car with Fedex managers driving around lloking for drivers making mistakes to write them up.I do howver see a car with UPS sups driving around and hiding,atleast 3 times a month.
Back in 99,my old station,there were a few managers that were complete **********but after too many critical SFAs,they were gone.I'm not crzy about my current management now,but they leave us lone.And yes its laid back.Im a night guy and rarely even see my managers.We have a lead at night that runs the show.
My point is that the union company seems stricter than the non-union company.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is good to know.Ive never really got into to trouble but now i have a few poiners.Back to my point,ive never seen a car with Fedex managers driving around lloking for drivers making mistakes to write them up.I do howver see a car with UPS sups driving around and hiding,atleast 3 times a month.
Back in 99,my old station,there were a few managers that were complete **********but after too many critical SFAs,they were gone.I'm not crzy about my current management now,but they leave us lone.And yes its laid back.Im a night guy and rarely even see my managers.We have a lead at night that runs the show.
My point is that the union company seems stricter than the non-union company.

You've got a lot to learn about the way FedEx works. Ricochet1's post is right on the money, and Job #1 at FedEx is protecting yourself, because you are totally expendable at any moment. All it takes is one important customer who doesn't like you (for any reason) to complain, and you are gone. Maybe they just don't like your shoes or your relationship with the receptionist...doesn't matter. You can GFT or Open Door all you like, and all it's going to do is strengthen their case against you. This advice goes for Corporate Security as well. Your best defense is comprehensive notes or a lawyer...sometimes you need both.

FedEx All the Way!

You don't work for the company, your husband does. That means you've never jumpseated and your comments are lies. The jumpseater who attacked the crew was a fellow FedEx pilot, who was upset because he was going to get fired. For the record, there is currently no personal jumpseat.

Our medical and dental benefits are not very good and the vision "plan" is a joke. You can do better by just paying out of pocket on the vision, and CIGNA has never seen a medical claim they like....they deny all the time. Their former head of PR just finished testifying in front of Congress last week, and CIGNA didn't fare well. And if you don't mind that your doctor got his MD from the Botswana Academy of Witch Doctors, they've got a fine selection of providers. Dental yearly limits are way too low, and if anything major happens it's straight out of your pocket.

Here's the big one...the Portable Pension Plan, which isn't a pension at all because nobody but a hobo could live off of it. They killed the real pension plan last year, and that one was about half what a union pension would be.

The other benefits you mentioned are largely worthless. Please do a little more research before your next post...this one is more mindless than usual, especially the lies. I actually work there...don't you think I can spot it when you say crap that isn't even remotely true?

First and foremost, I'm a mother of 2 and don't believe in lying. Second of all - I am always very interested in what happens in FedEx, I always try to get involved - since my husband does work there!
My comments are absolutely, true and correct - Let me point out that my doctors belong to Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida. Perhaps instead of complaining all the time about FedEx you should look the clinic up and see. It happens to be a top notch clinic/hospital next to Mayo Clinic. So you've learned something new from me today!
Out of everyone you should be the one getting your facts straight and stop your complaining and your maneuvers of how to destroy a company -

Last edited by a moderator: