im 19, i need advice. help?

Freddd

ok, im 19 years old and have been working at ups a little less than a year. my big problem is i dont know whether i should stick to ups and become a driver (i've heard it takes forever) or go get a degree and pursue a career, but i dont know what to major in :/ im not a over achiever or anything i know i wont ever be a doctor or a lawyer, but i can be smart when i try, guess im just lazy. any career advice? is driving worth it? im not artistic, or creative, but im a hard worker, and just need advice. any suggestions on how to start my life?

brownrod

Work at UPS while pursuing a bachelors degree. Myself and most of my coworkers in my center did this.
You will most likely be able to get your degree before the opportunity for driver occurs.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You can't be that lazy if you lasted at UPS this long !! Go to school and you can use the UPS Earn & Learn program to help pay for it !!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Always get the degree, I wouldve myself if college wasnt too damn boring.

If you get tired of the bull, apply for the postion in your degree put your two weeks and go for that other job. In time, the job here will pay out for itself. But thats time, and that dosent include the pain and stress that comes with it.

Any well paying job is better worth the effort here at UPS. But that as well, takes time effort; and pain and stress. Any way you slice it, we all are in for the long haul.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Only you can make this choice. School is not for everyone but they try to cram it down everyone's throat now. Personally I was smart enough to get through but hated every second I was there it just wasn't for me. Dropped out started at ups 3 months later and made the choice then I was in it for the long haul. Would not trade it for sure when I clock out I'm done no office work or continuing education classes just the hours I work that's it and I make more than pretty much any of my friends that have degrees.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm a driver have been for 5 plus years. Personally I would say take some undergrad courses at a community college. This does a few things for u buys u time to choose a degree gives you some schooling to see if it's what you want to do but doesn't cost near what a 4 year school will and buys you time at ups to decide if that's what you want to do.

Floyd Gondolli

Excellent advice from the above posts.Your 19, do your 10 years part-time, go to school and if driving presents itself, evaluate your situation at that time. It's a win win. You can work full-time at UPS or you can get your degree and pursue that employment field. Either way you will be young enough to pursue the career of your choice.

Earion

ok, im 19 years old and have been working at ups a little less than a year. my big problem is i dont know whether i should stick to ups and become a driver (i've heard it takes forever) or go get a degree and pursue a career, but i dont know what to major in :/ im not a over achiever or anything i know i wont ever be a doctor or a lawyer, but i can be smart when i try, guess im just lazy. any career advice? is driving worth it? im not artistic, or creative, but im a hard worker, and just need advice. any suggestions on how to start my life?
My one biggest regret is not going to college when I was your age. That means I am now 48, working part time at UPS and going to school full time with a bunch of people I can't relate to at all. I am tired most of the time when I am not exhausted. At 19 you have the stamina and energy to do it. Plus you will be with your peer group which can be a hindarence or a help. Use it to your advantage and only hang out with motivated people. I wish I had taken such a physical job when I was your age instead of a desk job because it did not motivate me to go to college. Eventually I hit the no degree ceiling. If I was breaking my balls at 19 like I am doing now, I would have gone to college! Hindsight is 20/20. I put my four kids through college, it was not an option for them. Trust me on this. The first two years or so is just about requirements. You don't have to declare a major to start. Take some classes, see what interests you and what you have an affinity for. You can also get a taste of what you hate. Check out what degrees are in high demand now and in the next five years. Make it work for you.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Only you can make this choice. School is not for everyone but they try to cram it down everyone's throat now. Personally I was smart enough to get through but hated every second I was there it just wasn't for me. Dropped out started at ups 3 months later and made the choice then I was in it for the long haul. Would not trade it for sure when I clock out I'm done no office work or continuing education classes just the hours I work that's it and I make more than pretty much any of my friends that have degrees.

Of course. The choice is simple, the life is simple and down to earth. A realistic job, with real work. School, I believe, never a plus to my life. Sure, I got the basics but never grew the power to love it. Lets all sit down for 6+ hours to gain ahold of everything we need to survive! The majority of people fired over the last 4 years were people who had degrees.

The problem is, people will always state that to have a good life you need a degree and good job to be happy. How far from the truth can that be.

Just like Covemaster said use the UPS reimbursement. UPS will either pay for it or at least help you pay for you to get a degree. Make sure that you read everything about it because there are some stipulations at least for management. Depending on how long you are in school and the cost to UPS will determine a lot. If you do a little research on upsers.com you will find out all the information that you need.

GolfCart

I started UPS at 18 yrs old , I am 41 now and been driving for over 20 yrs . I wish I would have stuck out college , something to fall back on . I know nothing but UPS , thats all I have done all my life . My problem is , I am to young to retire early . I did LOVE my job , a few yrs ago , but now ( AT MY HUB !! ) you can NEVER do enough , every night them make us go help drivers , you can never ever do enough . They watch you every sec. Its tough being a driver now days . If you LOVE to work HARD , take abuse , and get the shaft 99% of the time , UPS is for YOU !!! The money , time off , benifits are all great . Just get ready to work ALL NIGHT :)

I would also look to see how many people are signed the list to become driver above you . If there are 50-60 poeple ahead of you , just stay at UPS and go to school . GOOD LUCK !!!!

GolfCart

Weekends are for family !!! I work from 9 -7 or 9-8 every night . If you count driving to work and back home , I never see my little girl at night . I leave home at 8-8:30 and get home most night same time 8 or later . Pay is great , but hrs and working cond suck at my hub !

gostillerz

A kid I work with goes to school for air traffic control, and is working on his pilots license. That would be wild. You could also get an apprenticeship at a trade union. They take about 5 years, and plumbers or electricians make as much if not more than drivers do. Think of it like this, say it takes 5 years to drive, but you already finished the apprenticeship. Try driving, and if you don't like it, you're already at top rate as an electrician, plumber, etc. Elevator mechanics make a ton too.

Earion

I'm a driver have been for 5 plus years. Personally I would say take some undergrad courses at a community college. This does a few things for u buys u time to choose a degree gives you some schooling to see if it's what you want to do but doesn't cost near what a 4 year school will and buys you time at ups to decide if that's what you want to do.

Right on point about taking a few classes at a community college. It is a lot less expensive plus there are many programs that are not just designed for a degree. Trades and the like are offered at community colleges too. Steer clear of for profit schools. You can get the same education at a community college for a lot less money. I made it a long time in my life without a degree. But truthfully I did hit a ceiling at one point and my options were limited. In a perfect world, jobs like the ones at UPS would be plentiful but it just is not the case in the US anymore. It might come again at some point, but it will take some time. I just want to stress having more options. Some further education will give you that. I was an anti-higher education elitist for a very long time. Now thirty years after laughing at all my high school friends busting tail in college while I was making big money has caught up with me.

iruhnman630

This one is a no-brainer to me: Get the education.

You don't need to be in a rush to get it, in fact you'd be better off delaying it until you have a better idea what you want to be 'when you grow up'. As a part-time upser earning the benefits which you do or soon will, you are already in a better position financially than most college students. Take advantage of it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My advice would be to look in to joining the military. Yes, I am being serious. You are 19 and have already said that school is not that big of a deal for you. Serve 4 years active (2 years inactive) and take advantage of the tuition assistance (90%) while on active duty and the GI Bill once you get out. Choose an AFSC or MOS that translates well to a civilian job.

Driving a pkg car is not the end all, be all that some folks make it out to be.