I'm trying so freaking hard.....

RLStan

Idea's? Helpful hints? Links to answers? Haven't been here for awhile. I'm hoping to get some feedback that will spin me in the right direction. My husband was with UPS for 25 years, he passed from cancer March of 2019. 2 1/2 years and I'm doing my best to keep my house and get my kids into college. Long story shortened...a bit....I hope....Jim was diagnosed with kidney and prostate cancer. He had to stop working shortly after getting diagnosed. Along with the stop of work also meant the stop of health insurance and surprisingly also life insurance. I was not aware his life insurance was cancelled until after his death. Maybe our fault for not getting a lawyer but we were in survival mode. So....here I am. Dealt with UPS (and everything that goes with that) for 25 years and I am now (I held out as long as I could) asking for help, advice, guidance of any kind. Union or UPS scholarships or loans ?? Any information that may help me get my kids through college? I've tried looking.....it appears that the scholarships I've found from UPS only apply to dependents of deceased workers if they were active when they passed. Seems every avenue I try is roadblocked.

Idea's? Helpful hints? Links to answers? Haven't been here for awhile. I'm hoping to get some feedback that will spin me in the right direction. My husband was with UPS for 25 years, he passed from cancer March of 2019. 2 1/2 years and I'm doing my best to keep my house and get my kids into college. Long story shortened...a bit....I hope....Jim was diagnosed with kidney and prostate cancer. He had to stop working shortly after getting diagnosed. Along with the stop of work also meant the stop of health insurance and surprisingly also life insurance. I was not aware his life insurance was cancelled until after his death. Maybe our fault for not getting a lawyer but we were in survival mode. So....here I am. Dealt with UPS (and everything that goes with that) for 25 years and I am now (I held out as long as I could) asking for help, advice, guidance of any kind. Union or UPS scholarships or loans ?? Any information that may help me get my kids through college? I've tried looking.....it appears that the scholarships I've found from UPS only apply to dependents of deceased workers if they were active when they passed. Seems every avenue I try is roadblocked.
Hopefully he had some life insurance outside of work

over9five

Staff member
Nah. We were naive. I'm holding up the fort....sort of. Kids have a roof and food but the college process has left me panicking.
Think you're putting too much into the college thing. Get them a job driving for UPS, big income, no college bills.

RLStan

What pension benefit are you entitled to and are you receiving it?
I cannot receive any benefit until after my husband would of turned 65. He was young when he passed. My understanding is that i will receive 50 % of what he was entitled to. His full time years.....they did the math and said he was shy of full retirement by a month (I guess they deducted a few weeks because of a foot surgery years ago)

RLStan

Think you're putting too much into the college thing. Get them a job driving for UPS, big income, no college bills.
I'm pretty close to seeing if I can't get on the preload and get back the benefits we once had. But I'm 50 and not sure I could handle my fulltime career and parttime UPS.

over9five

Staff member
I'm pretty close to seeing if I can't get on the preload and get back the benefits we once had. But I'm 50 and not sure I could handle my fulltime career and parttime UPS.
I just don't understand the "My kids must go to college" thing. (Not just you). They really don't.
Do you know how many graduate college, and never make as much money as a UPS driver does? Plus, they have enormous debt.
You've lost your husband, you're keeping them fed and a roof over their heads. (Impressive that you've done that, btw). Get them grown to adults, then let them make their own way.

RLStan

I just don't understand the "My kids must go to college" thing. (Not just you). They really don't.
Do you know how many graduate college, and never make as much money as a UPS driver does? Plus, they have enormous debt.
You've lost your husband, you're keeping them fed and a roof over their heads. (Impressive that you've done that, btw). Get them grown to adults, then let them make their own way.
I know...I understand. It was just our plan for them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I cannot receive any benefit until after my husband would of turned 65. He was young when he passed. My understanding is that i will receive 50 % of what he was entitled to. His full time years.....they did the math and said he was shy of full retirement by a month (I guess they deducted a few weeks because of a foot surgery years ago)

Your pension has no death benefit? That's awful. Are you wanting to wait to get the pension payments? Have you discussed receiving a lump sum settlement? I would ask whoever manages the pension and see what they say, then maybe contact a lawyer.

RLStan

Your pension has no death benefit? That's awful. Are you wanting to wait to get the pension payments? Have you discussed receiving a lump sum settlement? I would ask whoever manages the pension and see what they say, then maybe contact a lawyer.
I was told I had to wait. But I can inquire about lump sum......I'm not concerned with myself or any pension when I'm older...just my kids.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Reach out to the Legal Aid Society and see if you can get free or discounted legal assistance.
Stick with the plan you have for your kids to get an education.
Not sure where you live, but UPS has a great program for kids to work and attend school, but it’s not easy due to the hours and the need to manage time.
I don’t know if a reverse mortgage would work for you, but most people downsize when the kids are gone.
I’m sorry for your loss.
Best of luck. Don’t worry.

Reach out to the Legal Aid Society and see if you can get free or discounted legal assistance.
Not sure where you live, but UPS has a great program for kids to work and attend school, but it’s not easy due to the hours and the need to manage time.
I don’t know if a reverse mortgage would work for you, but most people downsize when the kids are gone.
I’m sorry for your loss.
She is too young for a reverse mortgage

Red Headed Stranger

A couple of suggestions that may or may not help: 1) In my younger years, my parents had NO money due to my Dad having a heart attack at a young age. I attended college for FREE by working for a local university hospital that had ties to the local university. I was able to take two classes each quarter for FREE plus a great discount on books. The big plus was for older working woman who had kids. Their kids and spouse could attend college for FREE full-time. We had women with 4+ kids leaving good paying jobs to come work there because the financial benefit of having free tuition for their kids greatly outweighed the reduction in salary they took to work there. I agree with the other posters though....not every kid is cut out for college and whatever you do, don't go into debt or co-sign on any loan for your kids. It should always be on them to have skin in the game. There are a lot of good careers that do not require a college degree.
2) Have you applied to Social Security for benefits for your children while they were/are in school? That may be another option. 3) Check with the colleges your kids are interested in going to. Having worked at a local college, I know there are a great number of scholarships available for situations such as yours. Again, sorry for your loss and I hope you are able to find some answers.

RLStan

I’m sorry for your loss.
Yes too young for reverse mortgage. Going to look into part time work. Thank you !! I appreciate your time.

RLStan

A couple of suggestions that may or may not help: 1) In my younger years, my parents had NO money due to my Dad having a heart attack at a young age. I attended college for FREE by working for a local university hospital that had ties to the local university. I was able to take two classes each quarter for FREE plus a great discount on books. The big plus was for older working woman who had kids. Their kids and spouse could attend college for FREE full-time. We had women with 4+ kids leaving good paying jobs to come work there because the financial benefit of having free tuition for their kids greatly outweighed the reduction in salary they took to work there. I agree with the other posters though....not every kid is cut out for college and whatever you do, don't go into debt or co-sign on any loan for your kids. It should always be on them to have skin in the game. There are a lot of good careers that do not require a college degree.
2) Have you applied to Social Security for benefits for your children while they were/are in school? That may be another option. 3) Check with the colleges your kids are interested in going to. Having worked at a local college, I know there are a great number of scholarships available for situations such as yours. Again, sorry for your loss and I hope you are able to find some answers.
We did the federal student aid. My daughter only qualified for a small loan. No grants.... and loan isn't enough to pay for even one semester. I'm not how that even works. Thank you for your time and the ideas !!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was told I had to wait. But I can inquire about lump sum......I'm not concerned with myself or any pension when I'm older...just my kids.

Then I would absolutely look into the lump sum buyout. Also, if reverse mortgage isn't an option, HELOCs are still possible.