incompetant steward

Inthegame

The fact that you are posting here indicates that you have what it takes to become a steward or alternate steward. Contact you BA and express your concerns. Your BA should be your guiding light. Let him or her know of your concerns about intimidation.

P.S. Not all issues brought to stewards are legitimate or valid Union concerns. Regardless, I do let management know that for legal reasons (failure to represent on the Union's behalf), that I may have to file a grievance regardless of how I personally feel.

The "fact" that someone posts on BC gives you an indication they have what it takes to be a steward. Really? Your bar is set a little too low for me.

Your PS is more indicative of the situation than "alleged inadequacies" in my experience.

Jackofalltrades

I have a good relationship with our management but they know if they don't follow our contractual language I will lay the hammer down. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty because I bust my butt for them and follow all the rules so they can't touch me.

thanks everyone for the comments i think that i might just step up to the plate and be a steward or alternate. i am just a little intimidated by the upper management but by reading this forum more and more i think that we or myself should do something about it and will the support that i am seeing here feel that i should do it. thanks. i have read the contract several times, i dont call myself and expert but think that i know most of it enough that i might be able to do it or at least try to help someone else step up. thanks again.

stink219

thanks everyone for the comments i think that i might just step up to the plate and be a steward or alternate. i am just a little intimidated by the upper management but by reading this forum more and more i think that we or myself should do something about it and will the support that i am seeing here feel that i should do it. thanks. i have read the contract several times, i dont call myself and expert but think that i know most of it enough that i might be able to do it or at least try to help someone else step up. thanks again.
Any help or advice you need, just ask. I have plenty of instagrievance forms for you as a guide. I'm sure the other stewards on BC will offer their services too.

InsideUPS

i am only posting this because myself and my center needs help. we feel as if our steward is incompetent and does not stand up for us. no one wants to be s steward because we are all intimidated by our management team. is there a way to file a grievance against the steward and or the union. sometimes he wont file our grievances or will talk us out of filing a grievance.

we need help, comments, or suggestions.

The "fact" that someone posts on BC gives you an indication they have what it takes to be a steward. Really? Your bar is set a little too low for me.

Your PS is more indicative of the situation than "alleged inadequacies" in my experience.

1) The OP shows an interest in making his workplace a "better place to work".

2) The OP is asking for guidance....

3) The OP wants to bypass an allegedly "incompetent" steward.

4) The OP has NEVER called anyone names in any of his posts. He is not a "cheerleader" and presents himself as an interested well meaning person.

Yes.....IMHO....this person has the initial qualities that I believe make a good Steward. Learning the contract language would be a logical next step for this individual.

My "bar" is set beyond what you may understand Inthegame. The fact that you run to protect the honor of this Steward is an "assumption" that I would not want to make without knowing something of his character. The FACT is...... there are BAD union stewards. We have them in our building and they exist everywhere. Union stewards just like all people come in all shapes, sizes, and "mentalities". Protecting the "honor" of the Union is something you seem to be especially interested in. My belief is that in order to make ourselves better people or organizations.....we must be able to accept constructive criticism and not be so up the "dark alley" of our "ally" that we can no longer see the light. Besides....the odor in those "dark alleys" can be unbearable at times.

I've witnessed union stewards on BC all over the place on issues. Name calling and then apologizing for the name calling. Leaving.....BC...only to return again in a new form.

Inthegame

i am only posting this because myself and my center needs help. we feel as if our steward is incompetent and does not stand up for us. no one wants to be s steward because we are all intimidated by our management team. is there a way to file a grievance against the steward and or the union. sometimes he wont file our grievances or will talk us out of filing a grievance.

we need help, comments, or suggestions.

1) The OP shows an interest in making his workplace a "better place to work".

2) The OP is asking for guidance....

3) The OP wants to bypass an allegedly "incompetent" steward.

4) The OP has NEVER called anyone names in any of his posts. He is not a "cheerleader" and presents himself as an interested well meaning person.

Yes.....IMHO....this person has the initial qualities that I believe make a good Steward. Learning the contract language would be a logical next step for this individual.

My "bar" is set beyond what you may understand Inthegame. The fact that you run to protect the honor of this Steward is an "assumption" that I would not want to make without knowing something of his character. The FACT is...... there are BAD union stewards. We have them in our building and they exist everywhere. Union stewards just like all people come in all shapes, sizes, and "mentalities". Protecting the "honor" of the Union is something you seem to be especially interested in. My belief is that in order to make ourselves better people or organizations.....we must be able to accept constructive criticism and not be so up the "dark alley" of our "ally" that we can no longer see the light. Besides....the odor in those "dark alleys" can be unbearable at times.

I've witnessed union stewards on BC all over the place on issues. Name calling and then apologizing for the name calling. Leaving.....BC...only to return again in a new form.
But you're willing to accept the premise that a newbie poster has what it takes to be a steward without knowing his character. There is not nearly enough factual info in this post to make either case. The FACT is the existing steward has also shown an interest in making his workplace a "better place to work" by being involved in the first place, so that criteria is mute. Posting respectfully on BC is wonderful and may be indicative of future quality stewardship but that's crystal ball stuff. The alleged incompetence from this newbie is the troubling part. This same poster asks questions in other threads showing lack of understanding of terms in the CBA. So when this "incompetent" steward doesn't accept or talks members out of grievances maybe he's doing the toughest part of the job, telling members what they don't want to hear...that the company is not violating the CBA. Lousy stewards accept every grievance and then blame the BA's for failures they weren't willing to take on at lower levels.
But you're absolutely correct in that challenges keep stewards sharp. I welcome elections as a guide to see how I'm perceived. Fortunately my members appreciate my performance but I'm also certain some think me "incompetent".
I'll never apologize for protecting the honor of the union. Elected leaders come and go but the concept of unionism survives and has bettered our members and this nation. I'm proud to be part of that and never hide from it. I see the light just fine and only smell odor from those that don't appreciate the advantage of union membership. I trust you share these sentiments.