Infected/ Please Correct

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Been getting hit with viruses from this site. Anyone else? Perhaps the webmaster might want to investigate. Looks like FedEx is trying to kill this site.

Bailey4

Yeah I have had one. I thought maybe it was a link or video that was posted within a post. I know hackers will sometimes hide files in the script. But I do not know for sure. I hope it gets fixed.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
wow.

Thanks for the false accusations / paranoia mr fedex. Do you honestly believe that I am implanting viruses here after 13 years of operation? No record of this in 13 years and now it's happening? Provide some documentation and follow up with me. I will guarantee that this is not happening here and I use my real name. You are anonymous.

You were removed as a moderator for inappropriate behavior. Since you're making false accusations maybe it's time for you to move on as a member too.

vantexan

wow.

Thanks for the false accusations / paranoia mr fedex. Do you honestly believe that I am implanting viruses here after 13 years of operation? No record of this in 13 years and now it's happening? Provide some documentation and follow up with me. I will guarantee that this is not happening here and I use my real name. You are anonymous.

You were removed as a moderator for inappropriate behavior. Since you're making false accusations maybe it's time for you to move on as a member too.

Actually my iPad froze up several times after visiting the Brown Cafe about 3 months ago. Each time it took it a couple of days to sort itself out. Each time I thought I was going to have to send it in for repair but staying away from Brown Cafe for several days seemed to allow it to work it through. But it was definitely visiting Brown Cafe that caused it. Eventually it stopped happening.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
A few days ago one of the mods was getting the following warning from AVG: "Threat was blocked! File name tynt blah blah blah browncafe.com blah blah blah...."

AVG had just updated on his computer and suddenly was generating false positives about a service we use here called tynt which is a service that automatically adds a link back to this site when someone copies and pastes our content somewhere else. 500,000 sites use it, including AVG on their own site... so go figure...

Tynt is not new to this site, we've been using it for several months. 500,000 other sites like Sports Illustrated, Smithsonian and National Geographic use it too. Go to one of those sites and change pages, you'll probably get that same warning there too.

The mod that was getting the false positives about tynt switched from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows and the false positives went away.

In regard to the ios issue that vantexan mentioned, when it was happening it was discussed a few times in other threads. Initially I thought it was related to a new chatroom we were testing but it turned out to be related to a glitch between ios systems and cloudflare, a security service that we use to protect this site from malicious attacks.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Over the years MrFedex has posted some very snarky things about me and this site so it is possible that I jumped to conclusions about who he is accusing... but ultimately I am responsible for keeping malicious content off of this site so if that ever was to happen here it would be my fault.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I don't see anywhere that he made an accusation of the website owner being responsible for a virus?

He didn't and he has every reason to suspect possible sabotage.
I hear the higher ups (district/region level) are asking the managers what employees are talking about, and they are not happy at all when this site is mentioned.
This is something FedEx is not used to, they like to keep their employees in the dark as much as possible and this site is threatening that.
Cheryl please understand this is an information network to help us fight what it is happening, and be watchful of possible corporate hacker infiltrations.