Interesting Call In's

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Speaking of splinters in butts....reminds me of an injury report....

I remember reading a district injury report, and somebody actually reported that he was getting into his seat in the package car and sat on one of his testicles.

I remember re-reading it like 6 different times to make sure I was actually reading it correctly. Then, my thoughts go to "I would have loved to been there when he reported it".

-"Um, boss?! I, um, my uhhh, So like I, ummmmmm......I sat on muh ballz!"

DougHeffernan

We used to have a female driver call in because of her period or she had a yeast infection. So after trying to request a day off with no success I called in and claimed I had a yeast infection and couldn't come in. Click

packageguy

Over the years, I have answered the phones for many, many call in's. Most are pretty standard, some sound legit, other's are painfully obvious that they are full of crap. Then there were a couple that were complete WTF moments. Have you gotten any off-the-wall, crazy reasons why people were calling in? Please share them if you do!

Here's a couple of my examples:

1. Employee called in and said he couldn't come in that night because he was stuck on Mars. (Yes, he was talking about the planet). I asked him how he got stuck there, and he said he couldn't find a taxi.

2. Was raining one day, so employee called in due to "Bicycle doesn't have very good windshield wipers." He was not being sarcastic. Completely serious. He also only ever drove a car to work. Mind you, this was the same employee who was sent home one night for being sick, and then showed back up to his area an hour later and told his sup that he couldn't find the exit (about 30 yards from his work area).

​sick is sick, what difference does it make what he tells you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I go years at a time without calling in sick.

I may not be the best or fastest driver, and I may be an outspoken pain in the ass sometimes, but no matter what I can be counted on to show up every damn day and get the work done.

I like sports analogies, and if UPS is the NBA then I would be AC Green. He was an undersized power forward/center who did the dirty work, banged the boards, played tough D, and did whatever he had to do to help his team win. Never put up All Star numbers, but he went something like 950 consecutive games without missing one due to injury. One time he caught an elbow from JR Reid that knocked all his front teeth out, he was literally picking his teeth up off the floor, but it didnt keep him from suiting up and playing in the next game. Guys like that are the ones I admire and try to emulate in life.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I called in sick from Florida once. That's when I found out that the 800 number doesn't work if you're 800 miles away.

DS

Fenderbender
We used to have a female driver call in because of her period or she had a yeast infection. So after trying to request a day off with no success I called in and claimed I had a yeast infection and couldn't come in. Click
I've called in once or twice because I had way too many beers the night before,
I guess you could class this as a yeast infection.:happy-very:

brownIEman

​sick is sick, what difference does it make what he tells you.

so is that going to be your stance at the dependability discipline meeting as well? If so, kuddos and respect to you. If not, join the line of hypocrites I have dealt with that wanted no nosey management questions when they call in cause it does not matter why, but all of a sudden when the warning letters/suspensions/discharge meeting take place it is suddenly VERY important that no, this time I REALLY was sick.

And BTW, thanks for being a downer on a light hearted thread...

Kae3106

I called in sick once because my dog had died the night before and I was a complete emotional basket case.

Didnt catch any grief over it because (a) my supervisor was also a "dog person" and (b) it was the first time I had callen in sick in over three years.

I think I took close to two weeks off when I had to put my dog down unexpectedly. (To be fair, it was mid-November and I still had that much time left to use by the end of the year.) They were starting to question my mental stability though and my supervisor kept emailing me the information for HR and the Solutions EAP line "in case I needed to talk to someone."

rod

Retired 22 years
I called in one time to say I needed the day off because a water pipe had broke in my basement during the night and I had 4 inches of water I needed to deal with. My center manager said "we really need you today- you have to come in. I said "see you tomorrow" and hung up on him. He later tried to appoligze but I was so PO at him I just shook my head and walked away. What a jerk.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I never give a reason when I call in.
Condescending Wonka-1349490749.jpg
Condescending Wonka-1349490749.jpg

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't because they don't need to know. Unless it's something that I need to provide proof of (ie funeral leave,FMLA,workmans comp claim,ect) they don't need to know whats going on in my life. I try keep it professional and strictly business when it comes to dealing with management. I have been known to tell them I won't be in the next day when it's suppose to be close 100 degrees out, paid day of course. Haven't taken a no pay in 3 years and have yet to have any management question why I take off or call out.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Discussion is about off-the-wall call ins.

Please save the "don't need to, piss on management" posts for another thread please.

Don't get grumpy, someone asked a question and I answered it on why I don't. It's a discussion forum, hence the discussion.

I do know someone who called in because they had to get a bug removed from their ear that flew in while they were driving down the highway in the PC.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Don't get grumpy, someone asked a question and I answered it on why I don't. It's a discussion forum, hence the discussion.

I do know someone who called in because they had to get a bug removed from their ear that flew in while they were driving down the highway in the PC.

No worries my dude....not grumpy and not really directing it to you. There's been a tad of derailment happening already.

LOL...a bug in the ear? I've practically gotten a black eye from a huge beetle that smacked me in the face when it flew in my door when I was going about 55 in the country portion of my route. Big red mark just to the left of my left eye for the better part of 2 days.