Interesting forbes article re independent contractors

bbsam

Staff member
Interesting article. Fred and bbsam need to invest in some wolf-repellent. For Fred, that means "investing" in politicians to get his way, but for bbsam, it might be more problematic.
Why is that? All of my employees are paid as employees. Furthermore, there is nothing new in the article at all. All of this is very familiar ground for FedEx legal, wouldn't you agree? Seems odd that the U.S. Government would bother having even more agencies asking the same questions. My guess is FedEx has this well covered. Other companies, probably not.

TUT

Why is that? All of my employees are paid as employees. Furthermore, there is nothing new in the article at all. All of this is very familiar ground for FedEx legal, wouldn't you agree? Seems odd that the U.S. Government would bother having even more agencies asking the same questions. My guess is FedEx has this well covered. Other companies, probably not.

It's only as well covered as the law permits and laws can change.

bbsam

Staff member
Very true. However, in another thread barnyard pointed out very succinctly why the law has not been changed in the past and the array of money and special interests that align themselves against changing the law. Furthermore, Fedex legal has proved itself adept at tweakng its model.

TUT

Very true. However, in another thread barnyard pointed out very succinctly why the law has not been changed in the past and the array of money and special interests that align themselves against changing the law. Furthermore, Fedex legal has proved itself adept at tweakng its model.

True enough. But things are always changing, they are looking at digital purchases now and are working towards these said products need to work or be refunded. For example you buy something with bugs... and you have to fight for a refund. Point is, there getting around to things as the get there. I have to say it is what it is right now, I'm not crazy about it because it is a way of getting around having to have employees and then having to live up to minimums. The whole everyone is now part time in retail so I don't have to give beni's is such a slap in the face to our children.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I have to agree that they've been good at tweaking it to conform with the law. But it does seem that there is a change in the wind, at least if one is to believe the article. Forbes isn't exactly known for being a liberal forum.

bbsam

Staff member
I have to agree that they've been good at tweaking it to conform with the law. But it does seem that there is a change in the wind, at least if one is to believe the article. Forbes isn't exactly known for being a liberal forum.

Forbes indeed is not a liberal magazine. But it is a fairly conservative one that would use any governmental action to gin up fear (and money) to its viewpoint. Not unlike the NRA I might add. ( Sorry Mr 7). Hell, they even encourage fear in the title.