Internships

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
see your too focused on your job. i can see they programmed you well. free yourself form the politic world of *******s, but you didn't pay attention to my post. if you actually read it you can clearly see I.T is my intention. -.- wow how immature you are and i still didn't get my answer. this is why i said your last comment was irrelevant.

This is almost unfair.

Dave, you missed one. Your Red Sox must really be depressing and distracting you.

Leechilds, I recommend you bring your current education and skill set to the attention of your Human Resources representative. He or she should be the most informed of any such positions you might qualify for in the Chicago area. Perhaps you should consider a transfer to the UPS Worldport facility in Louisville, KY. I've heard there is an extremely generous program in place down there, between UPS and the local college/university. Article 22, section 15 of your Teamster Local 705 contract would apply to such a transfer as an hourly employee.

beentheredonethat

see your too focused on your job. i can see they programmed you well. free yourself form the politic world of *******s, but you didn't pay attention to my post. if you actually read it you can clearly see I.T is my intention. -.- wow how immature you are and i still didn't get my answer. this is why i said your last comment was irrelevant.

I don't want to get in between the argument between yourself and Upstate, However, I hate to tell you, Upstate is correct regarding your grammar and spelling. I was a TSG supv about 6 years ago. Being detail oriented, espescially when you are out with our external customers is extremely important. I would be hesitent to hire anyone without basic skills of grammar and spelling. Espescially after it was brought up and they continue to display the same low standards.

As to your question, I don't know about Chicago in particular, but I've seen a lot of reductions in our TSG department. The need of TSG folks is going down, as more work is being done by Tivoli downloads and remote access vs local TSG folks working in the district. I don't agree with all these changes, but they are happening. It may be different in Chicago area.

I suggest you do the following,
1. T/W your supervisor and let him know your desire of entering TSG.
2. Go to www.upsjobs.com to see if any jobs are open in your desired field.
3. Send a letter of intent to the District HR manager
4. See if there's a TSG office in your facility and try to go there during your off hours and try to t/w a TSG supervisor.
5. Don't give up, keep doing the steps above.

Good luck..

But please take Upstate (and my) advice, work on the spelling and grammar.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Dave, you missed one. Your Red Sox must really be depressing and distracting you.

Leechilds, I recommend you bring your current education and skill set to the attention of your Human Resources representative. He or she should be the most informed of any such positions you might qualify for in the Chicago area. Perhaps you should consider a transfer to the UPS Worldport facility in Louisville, KY. I've heard there is an extremely generous program in place down there, between UPS and the local college/university. Article 22, section 15 of your Teamster Local 705 contract would apply to such a transfer as an hourly employee.

:funny:I can't believe I typed that with a straight face.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
You didn't give me the advice i inquire. can you do yourself a favor? it isn't rocket science just scroll back to the top and carefully read. what are you like 67 preforming like a preschooler? i know people in my age group and younger who conduct themselves better then you. there's no wonder why management make themselves look like circus clowns on the job.

are you sure you have a degree? any educated person would understand what I'm seeking and you my puppet friend need to take the stick out of your ass.

SweetPea, I worked 30 years in UPS IT, and had many, many excellent people working for me in that time. Based on your spelling, grammar skills, and ATTITUDE as displayed here, I wouldn't hire you to empty the trash bins in the server room. Actually, I wouldn't let you anywhere near my server rooms, so I wouldn't hire you to empty the trash bins in the break rooms.

Arrogant little boys like you have no place in a well-functioning IT department. The day of the cowboy coder is OVER. Grow up. People here are actually giving you really good advice on how to get ahead in the world. Pay attention. Script kiddies are a dime a dozen. Solid IT people who are willing to pay excruciating attention to detail, triple-check every step on their checklist, and anticipate problems and solve them before they happen are the gold standard.

If you can't be bothered to check your spelling and grammar, what errors would you introduce into an IP address or critical script to build a server? The difference between a comma and a period can take down an entire domain in active directory.

Thread Date Posted By Comment Hi 10-10-2009 04:48 AM UpstateNYUPSer Welcome to Brown Cafe, *********
Once again I furnish this person ignorance, is this the attitude you want in the work environment?

Everyone entitle to their opinion, I just asked a simple question, not an incompetent jackass.

I've practice running networks, severs, setup users/permission accounts and file transfer protocols. When you use UNIX, you should know that it’s case sensitive along with commands which require you to read ensuring you typed the correct cmd or nothing happens. Any I.T pro should know this is basic stuff. I have a strong background when it comes to using command vs graphical user interface.

I read the advice given to me and I gladly accept the information, but I can't be intimated by uncivil individuals, it just doesn’t work with me.

I am in no way trying to be arrogant, I just like to stand up for myself, which I don’t see in the workforce such as management for example, “oh my god! Miss loads! The dock destroyed! HolyCrap ! too many boxes, If the boss finds out his or she going to kick my ass and degrade me” No I will not submit this this after school bully tactic. Plus their work methods are unorganized and sloppy and can never agree on anything. This is a business not congress, just because you work for someone doesn’t mean you sale you soul to them. It’s like killing your children, so your mean less life can go on. This isn't aimed at you tech I only have one target who doesn't know it's place as a ups water boy.

To everyone else thank you for your inputs.

Last edited:
Thread Date Posted By Comment Hi 10-10-2009 04:48 AM UpstateNYUPSer Welcome to Brown Cafe, *********
Once again I furnish this person ignorance, is this the attitude you want in the work environment?

Everyone entitle to their opinion, I just asked a simple question, not an incompetent jackass.

I've practice running networks, severs, setup users/permission accounts and file transfer protocols. When you use UNIX, you should know that it’s case sensitive along with commands which require you to read ensuring you typed the correct cmd or nothing happens. Any I.T pro should know this is basic stuff. I have a strong background when it comes to using command vs graphical user interface.

I read the advice given to me and I gladly accept the information, but I can't be intimated by uncivil individuals, it just doesn’t work with me.

I am in no way trying to be arrogant, I just like to stand up for myself, which I don’t see in the workforce such as management for example, “oh my god! Miss loads! The dock destroyed! HolyCrap ! too many boxes, If the boss finds out his or she going to kick my ass and degrade me” No I will not submit this this after school bully tactic. Plus their work methods are unorganized and sloppy and can never agree on anything.

This is a business not congress, just because you work for someone doesn’t mean you sale you soul to them. It’s like killing your children, so your mean less life can go on. This isn't aimed at you tech, you and hondon have provied me with the information I needed. What would really help, is if i had someone like you guys who already been in the filed to guide me ensuring my success. School just isn't enough
I'm very serious.

I will obtain more knowledge in a short amount of time by any means even if i have to step on little a guy like puppetstate. I only have one target that doesn't know it's place as a ups puppet boy.

To everyone else thank you for your inputs.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I will obtain more knowledge in a short amount of time by any means even if i have to step on little a guy like puppetstate. I only have one target that doesn't know it's place as a ups puppet boy.
Uh-oh Puppetstate, I foresee a flaming bag of poo on your front step in the very near future. :anxious:

Hehe. "Puppetstate". That's hilarious!

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Thread Date Posted By Comment Hi 10-10-2009 04:48 AM

<snip>

I am in no way trying to be arrogant, I just like to stand up for myself, which I don’t see in the workforce such as management for example, “oh my god! Miss loads! The dock destroyed! HolyCrap ! too many boxes, If the boss finds out his or she going to kick my ass and degrade me” No I will not submit this this after school bully tactic. Plus their work methods are unorganized and sloppy and can never agree on anything.

Actually, many many many bad things can happen if you mistype a command in Unix. It is rare that "nothing happens"; it is far more likely that something you didn't intend happens, and that can range from something small to catastrophic data failure. Like, for example, thinking you are deleting all the files in a particular directory, and not realizing you are at root. That's why meticulous attention to detail is important.

AND, standing up for yourself can be done with respect for other people. You can stand up for yourself without coming across as an arrogant child.

It is unlikely that UPS has IT jobs in Chicago that fit what you want to do. However, there are lots of other companies in Chicago that actually have large data centers there.

For that matter, why don't you try getting a job at Best Buy's Geek Squad, instead of wasting your time on boxes? Your school should have some sort of job placement program, and contacts with all the places that would be interested in hiring their graduates.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually, many many many bad things can happen if you mistype a command in Unix. It is rare that "nothing happens"; it is far more likely that something you didn't intend happens, and that can range from something small to catastrophic data failure. Like, for example, thinking you are deleting all the files in a particular directory, and not realizing you are at root. That's why meticulous attention to detail is important.

AND, standing up for yourself can be done with respect for other people. You can stand up for yourself without coming across as an arrogant child.

It is unlikely that UPS has IT jobs in Chicago that fit what you want to do. However, there are lots of other companies in Chicago that actually have large data centers there.

For that matter, why don't you try getting a job at Best Buy's Geek Squad, instead of wasting your time on boxes? Your school should have some sort of job placement program, and contacts with all the places that would be interested in hiring their graduates.
It appears that stringing binary code and proper sentence structure are more akin than I thought.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
It appears that stringing binary code and proper sentence structure are more akin than I thought.
Well, meticulous attention to detail is absolutely required to be a successful system administrator in any non-trivial network setup. Having said that, I have noticed that many under-30 types seem to have serious spelling and grammar issues, which I attribute to our school system lacking emphasis on such things. My nephew, who is also in tech support, is terrible on those things, although he seems to be successful in his job and receives good reviews. OTOH, he is customer support, helping users in their troubles with the software, not a system administrator. In the workgroup I used to manage, the good ones could spell and write coherent sentences no matter how old they were. For some reason, the board isn't letting me put blank lines between paragraphs today....

pa59emt

From TechGrrl:

That's funny to me!! I'm picturing a little troll driving around in a Geek Squad Scion. Nice TechGrrl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
From TechGrrl:

That's funny to me!! I'm picturing a little troll driving around in a Geek Squad Scion. Nice TechGrrl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around here, they use Volkswagen Bugs.....(although they don't have the license plate that says 'FEATURE')

But I was serious about the suggestion....my understanding is that Best Buy always needs good techs for the Geek Squad, and there is nothing that creates experience like, well, experience. Which our dude ain't gonna get on the preload....