Is being an overachiever at UPS worth it?

Ant12

I've been a loader for a few months and I was seasonal but they kept me and since then I guess they saw potential in me. I've heard from other coworkers working hard will gain you respect, but nothing else, and to stay an average worker. I defiantly take pride if I do well but let's be honest, is it worth the backbreaking labor to go that extra mile? Would you rather work very hard and have respect or be average and have less expected? You're still getting the same amount of $ obviously.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Work smarter not harder. Who cares what other people think about you. They aint paying your bills and putting food on your table feel me homeboy. You aint working there to be PROM KING lmfao.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
At UPS no it isn't worth it. Come to work on time every day and work at your own pace, that is all you need to do. You move up by seniority not by how hard of a worker you are. Being a hard worker actually does more damage than good. If you work hard, then management will do more to try to keep you in the same position then to help you move forward, why would they want to get rid of someone who bust their ass everyday? If you load 5 thousand boxes a day, they will ask you why you didn't load 6 thousand, and if you load 6 thousand they'll ask you why you didn't load 7 thousand. Don't worry about all the other mess at work, and if management threatens you, ignore them, 90% of the time they are full of it. Just work and get your pay check.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
At UPS no it isn't worth it. Come to work on time every day and work at your own pace, that is all you need to do. You move up by seniority not by how hard of a worker you are. Being a hard worker actually does more damage than good. If you work hard, then management will do more to try to keep you in the same position then to help you move forward, why would they want to get rid of someone who bust their ass everyday? If you load 5 thousand boxes a day, they will ask you why you didn't load 6 thousand, and if you load 6 thousand they'll ask you why you didn't load 7 thousand. Don't worry about all the other mess at work, and if management threatens you, ignore them, 90% of the time they are full of it. Just work and get your pay check.

I guess my building is the exception. My full time supervisor always gives me credit for working hard, and never tried to overload me with work. He even wants me to work more safer and get help with the bulks, even if I think I can handle them. I can say he is the ONLY reason why I work hard at ups, I would be apart of the "no sweat TEAM" in my building, as they proudly called themselves.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
250yu273swsw.gif
Do your best and work at a steady pace. And be reliable.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been a loader for a few months and I was seasonal but they kept me and since then I guess they saw potential in me. I've heard from other coworkers working hard will gain you respect, but nothing else, and to stay an average worker. I defiantly take pride if I do well but let's be honest, is it worth the backbreaking labor to go that extra mile? Would you rather work very hard and have respect or be average and have less expected? You're still getting the same amount of $ obviously.
Get respect? You obviously forget where you work...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I guess my building is the exception. My full time supervisor always gives me credit for working hard, and never tried to overload me with work. He even wants me to work more safer and get help with the bulks, even if I think I can handle them. I can say he is the ONLY reason why I work hard at ups, I would be apart of the "no sweat TEAM" in my building, as they proudly called themselves.
"Credit" doesn't make your paycheck any larger.....last time I checked. I don't do my job well for anyone else to sing me praise, I do it for myself. It's called integrity.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I always try to give my best. Not for them but for my own sense of pride. At the end of the day I can look at myself in the mirror and know I earned my pay for the day.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Most companies reward excellent work with some sort of recognition or a raise, UPS rewards good work.....with more work!
Hope that answers your question

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I used to give my best every single day, but after years of always having to go help other drivers (and seldom getting help when I need it), I had to decide to work safer/smarter.

Now, I don't care how much longer it takes to get the work done, it will most usually get finished, and I'll be compensated for every minute I spend in my lovely package car.

At UPS you don't have to be the best, just be a few spots above the worst and you'll be fine.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

tngng.gif

UPSGUY72

Work smart and take pride in what you do. Don't work fast and unsafe just to get the job done faster as other have said you have a lot of workings years ahead of you either at UPS or somewhere else so the object is not to get hurt.

Some people will do anything to try to do less work included working harder at trying to figure out how to get out of doing work that than actually working you don't want to be one on those people.

It's up to you you can be a kiss ass employee that always goes above and beyond to appease your SUP including working unsafely and off the clock. Or you can be a good smart worker getting the job done in being safe and in a timely matter. Or you can be a dirt bag always dragging your feet because you know that your SUP can;t really do anything about it except call you in the office everyday and give you warning....