Is IE Department incompetent or just plain lazy?

Island

In regards to management juggling metrics, based on what their superiors bark at them, rather than doing their jobs - my operation and other local operations all have this same problem. In my preload operation we have simpler metrics than the delivery operation does but, while I was CHSP, management straight up told me to not do my CHSP paperwork or activities and to move boxes instead. It was a couple years before someone from regional realized that our safety numbers are terrible, so they started letting us do just one activity a month, give or take, out of a whole calendar of things that every CHSP committee is supposed to do. Manhours are more important than a couple injury numbers. My operation seems to suffer a lot from management trying to make us do a lot of work in a small amount of time, which I know our drivers relate to - our preload shift is exactly 3.5 hours and if we work a moment longer, they're shouting down our throats. I've had managers rip open packages out of my hands and throw them down belts because I was "taking too long" when I was taking 3 whole seconds to stop a damaged parcel's progress. But a couple years ago when regional realized how much money we were losing to damaged pieces, our management spent about two weeks giving us all individual tapeguns and some actual time during the shift to do repacks rather than leaving a giant pile of them for one clerk to do at the end of the day. My problems are a little simpler than route math but, again, it does all come down to one metric being valued over another for a short time before another is prioritized, all the while treading water in every conceivable way because no one in management is willing to do the right thing - they'd rather be yes-men, because that's the only way to get promoted. In defense of management, though, they are working people with their own problems and I've known a few good ones, but this problem is obviously widespread, in every level.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Yeah, we all thought the same as you back when this started many moons ago. But what else can we do? They're not going to pay someone to sit in a car for half an hour every night. Besides, it smells bad while the polution is cooking off.

I get paid to do it and it pays good.

JonFrum

I get paid to do it and it pays good.
Finally, after a year or so, Automotive got permission to tweak the on-board computer that controls when an automatic Re-Gen is done. By lowering the thresholds, the regeneration is now done on-road, as it should have been done all along, instead of having to take the cars off line and manually Re-Gen them outside in the yard.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Finally, after a year or so, Automotive got permission to tweak the on-board computer that controls when an automatic Re-Gen is done. By lowering the thresholds, the regeneration is now done on-road, as it should have been done all along, instead of having to take the cars off line and manually Re-Gen them outside in the yard.

I was wondering what happened---I haven't had to write up the DPF in quite some time---used to be every 6 months or so.

browned out

Part of my area was re-looped a couple of years ago with the implementation of PAS/EDD. In the re-loop, they neglected to move one street in the middle of a very rural subdivision. This street only has one residence currently built on it. This subdivision is now on a drivers route adjacent to mine.

About a dozen times in the last couple years I have spoken with my management team to get this street moved to the correct unit. My on car says it's out of his hands & can only be corrected by IE. He says he has forwarded the move information to IE and doesn't know why it hasn't been implemented.

This same thing happened on my route except the street(HIN) was placed in the middle of other streets. It would be like 1st street 2nd street 250th street and then 3rd street. The dispatch sup or whatever you call him said he could change it if it was in the same loop. If it was not in the same loop; it had to be submitted to IE to be moved.

Suffice to say the lady of the house must have recently got her hands on an LTD Commodities catalog. Was there for a delivery 4 days this past week. This stop is 4.8 miles round trip off my area! Figure I burned 2 gallons of their gas just this week to make service on these parcels. Spoke with the driver on the adjacent route and he says he is in that same subdivision on a daily basis. Done beating my head against the wall & accepted that this will be my stop for all eternity!

Guess what irritates me the most is last year I received a warning letter for driving 1.1 miles off my area to take a lunch break. Is it alright to burn gas on their incompetence but not for me to find a warm place for lunch?

brownrod

We just got a new dispatch supe. Yesterday I got a 1 package, 1 stop, residential, driver release add cut from another driver to this town that otherwise I wouldn't have had to drive to; just because I was 1 stop under my min. Still had an over 9.5 dispatch. I questioned it when I got in, but certainly don't expect anything to change. I was told the move was made to make the dispatch screen look "pretty"- that must mean NO yellow.

The money UPS could make.............

Agree. We are profitable in spite of inept management. The routes don't make sense. They never will. As long as my check clears I don't care if they are ever fixed.

On friday I had 1 stop split onto me from the next route over. The stop was in a gated community within a gated community. I needed to find 2 gate codes to get to this one house. And it was about 4 miles off route. Got it delivered! now that's logistics.