Is selling merchandise allowed at the hub?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You have to be discreet if you're selling something. For several years I had a child in girl scouts, and you know what that means. cookies. Sold hundreds of boxes at work. Some guys sell other things like squares on football pots (frowned upon) but it happens. Utilize your break time and before work time to your advantage.

BrownThunder

I remember guys who sold socks. They didn't advertise but "everyone knew" to go to them for socks.

I handle the restocking of Fastenal vending machines at remote customer locations, and whenever I'm there I always hear the warehouse workers wheeling and dealing. Everything from socks to fruit, its like a little black market in there.

If I ever need a kidney I'm going there first

BrownThunder

One more question: I bought a back brace and knee pads for when I begin. I was only going to wear the one knee pad for my dominant kneeling leg... Do people wear them or am I going to look like a D bag wearing knee pads?

BrownThunder

Cool. I was thinking about buying one of those 5 gallon water coolers, kinda like the big Gatorade ones. I can get them cheap but I was curious about whether I could buy it and leave it at the hub. I don't care if other people use it, I just #1 don't want it stolen and #2 want access to it during my shift. Ideas?

Maybe I could get 2 or 3 of them to help keep the crew hydrated

PT Car Washer

Most guys have the gallon size water coolers they carry with them from one trailer to the next. Never leave anything inside the hub that you would not mind losing. Don't you guys have water fountains inside the building? We even have an ice machine for the summer months.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Very noble of you to think of your co-workers and their safety. Like previous poster said, don't leave anything in the hub after your shift if you don't want to lose it. It will definitely get legs and walk off when you're not looking.

BrownThunder

Gotcha, I'll leave that idea alone then. One more question and I think I'm good to go. Would I be allowed to wear a camelpack while working? I have one I use when I go hiking, so I'm curious if I can just use that instead of lugging around a gallon jug. If it's not ok that's fine I guess I'll just start shopping for a good jug.

rod

Retired 22 years
I supplied gloves for about half the price you could buy them locally. I got them through a wholesale supplier. I gave it up because for some reason it was too hard for some well paid Teamsters to pay their bills.

PT Car Washer

Gotcha, I'll leave that idea alone then. One more question and I think I'm good to go. Would I be allowed to wear a camelpack while working? I have one I use when I go hiking, so I'm curious if I can just use that instead of lugging around a gallon jug. If it's not ok that's fine I guess I'll just start shopping for a good jug.
I don't know why a camelback would not be allowed. I think I have seen some young guys wearing them. Good idea.

BrownThunder

I supplied gloves for about half the price you could buy them locally. I got them through a wholesale supplier. I gave it up because for some reason it was too hard for some well paid Teamsters to pay their bills.

I'll set them up on a NET30. 30 seconds to pay up

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Would I be allowed to wear a camelpack while working? I have one I use when I go hiking, so I'm curious if I can just use that instead of lugging around a gallon jug. If it's not ok that's fine I guess I'll just start shopping for a good jug.
As a sup I wouldn't have a problem with this. I'd rather you have some go to hydration than none at all. You might get some goofy looks. But I think it's a great idea.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You have to be discreet if you're selling something. For several years I had a child in girl scouts, and you know what that means. cookies. Sold hundreds of boxes at work. Some guys sell other things like squares on football pots (frowned upon) but it happens. Utilize your break time and before work time to your advantage.
Girl scout cookies, squares on pots, brown spice, are all a little different and frowned upon by UPS, but gloves are a different story.

Most who buy the gloves are doing so to use at work. It is a work item. Management will leave you alone as long as you are subtle about it.

llamainmypocket

Most preloaders prefer not to use gloves due to the expense. We probably get more friction on our hands than most people get on their feet so I'd imagine a good pair of gloves would have to be made like a shoe to actually last.

BrownThunder

These are what i have. They are by far our most popular glove. Excellent durability and comfort, plus you keep your dexterity which is important for materials handlers. Our UPS drivers swear by them. /pitch

81aX8cX-CwL._UL1500_.jpg

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
These are what i have. They are by far our most popular glove. Excellent durability and comfort, plus you keep your dexterity which is important for materials handlers. Our UPS drivers swear by them. /pitch

81aX8cX-CwL._UL1500_.jpg
Do they hold in sweat? That's the biggest problem I have using nitrile coated gloves for driving. I recently switched to leather.