Is Seniority honored in your building ?

Ihatebrown

I am assigned to small sort in my building, however because me and supervisor don't get along and I file grievances on him, every night he pulls me and sends me to the trailor to scan packages and load. I have 22 years more years then anyone else in small sort, but he only pulls me as "retaliation" So I filed a grievance and he told our BA to her face that "seniority doesn't always count" and then refused to talk to her without a labor manager present and walked off.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They can have you do whatever they want. If you don't want to load then slow down and suck at loading. The load supervisor will make sure you never load.

Ihatebrown

They can have you do whatever they want. If you don't want to load then slow down and suck at loading. The load supervisor will make sure you never load.
so that means there is no such thing as "seniority" so if a driver comes to work, they make him wash trucks, off load or load if they want or send them home and work someone else. Got it. I guess that's why all the managers in my building do whatever they want and send employees home and have the supervisors do all the work instead of paying the union people.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I am assigned to small sort in my building, however because me and supervisor don't get along and I file grievances on him, every night he pulls me and sends me to the trailor to scan packages and load. I have 22 years pry more years then anyone else in small sort, but he only pulls me as "retaliation" So I filed a grievance and he told our BA to her face that "seniority doesn't always count" and then refused to talk to her without a labor manager present and walked off.
Tell us the whole story, what were your original grievances for?

PT Car Washer

I am assigned to small sort in my building, however because me and supervisor don't get along and I file grievances on him, every night he pulls me and sends me to the trailor to scan packages and load. I have 22 years more years then anyone else in small sort, but he only pulls me as "retaliation" So I filed a grievance and he told our BA to her face that "seniority doesn't always count" and then refused to talk to her without a labor manager present and walked off.
Br contract, they have to pull you out of your area by seniority. Meaning the bottom person goes first not the top. Unless you volunteer to go.

The Range

In too deep
Where does it say that?
NE supplement here and everything is done inside with consideration for seniority. It was not always like this, particularly on shifts without OGs. It took a few years to restore these things for part-timers. End-of-shift cuts are done top to bottom, part-timers can work a preferred job, and bumps are done via seniority. I am proud of our current BA and the workers who stuck their necks out as 5 years ago seniority didn't mean a thing.

The Range

In too deep
Many people here are going to tell you seniority doesn't matter in regard to job preference and other things. If your supplement doesn't have strong seniority catch-all language, look into past practice on other shifts and see how things are done.

Ihatebrown

Tell us the whole story, what were your original grievances for?
My original grievances date back for years. 1 grievance was I would call in sick ( i had 16 sick days) and he would never pay me for them, this happened 3 times. I put in slips for optional days because at the end of the year I had not used them, so In October I put in my slips, HE SIGNED THEM and then didn't pay me for them. My start was 6:30 pm, but during Christmas he said I could come in early, and he would change my time. I started at 5:30 pm and he never changed my time. so in February I filed a grievance and I got paid for all the hours he didn't pay me. This has been going on for 5 of the 6 years he's been there.

Ihatebrown

I am local 639 in Maryland and in my building they pretty much make their own rules. Supervisors work as many hours as union employees and just to throw it our faces, they don't even hide it. They will stand right beside you and work all night because there are no repercussions to doing so. A shop steward was filing a complaint for a driver who was sent home due to lack of work and his on road sup, ran the route instead. I don't know, will things like this ever change, probably NOT.

The Range

In too deep
Your Atlantic supplement has:

ARTICLE 48 – SENIORITY Section 1 – General Seniority, as measured by length of continuous service with the Company, shall prevail at all times.

A good place to start. Take note of what people use their seniority for on shifts populated with full-timers and go from there.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I am local 639 in Maryland and in my building they pretty much make their own rules. Supervisors work as many hours as union employees and just to throw it our faces, they don't even hide it. They will stand right beside you and work all night because there are no repercussions to doing so. A shop steward was filing a complaint for a driver who was sent home due to lack of work and his on road sup, ran the route instead. I don't know, will things like this ever change, probably NOT.
If your in Burtonsville, they just don’t care, they pay grievances for supes working like kids trick or treating, they just wont stop. So I here from the Feeder News Network.

Ihatebrown

Your Atlantic supplement has:

ARTICLE 48 – SENIORITY Section 1 – General Seniority, as measured by length of continuous service with the Company, shall prevail at all times.

A good place to start. Take note of what people use their seniority for on shifts populated with full-timers and go from there.
Thank you so much for this

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Maybe it’s time to get the national involved? Especially since you have grievances going on for years.