Is there any reason for FedEx to keep contractors?

bacha29

No Ground driver is getting benefits or any pay , FedEx makes sure of that , that’s the whole reason for the switch to Ground.
And more than likely it's a pay by the stop deal in which the driver has to do a zillion stops in a day and I agree....nothing at the back end in terms of employer funded benefits.

Artee

No Ground driver is getting benefits or any pay , FedEx makes sure of that , that’s the whole reason for the switch to Ground.
So you are saying that there is not one ground driver in the US that does not get any kind of PTO or offered some lousy expensive medical plan from their contractor? You don't think there are any ground drivers that are making $30? I would say you need to educate yourself.

There are many many drivers that get paid $180-210/day and put their 6-7 hours in and go home. They like coming in, busting out a condensed deliver route and getting home. Fits their lifestyle and the money is OK for them. What is not ok for them is being asked to sit around another couple hours a day and do pick ups for that same daily rate. The rate either goes up or they are off to find something else. They have no desire to be like an express driver that cannot straighline and has to do pickups and break off from their route to handle oncalls.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So you are saying that there is not one ground driver in the US that does not get any kind of PTO or offered some lousy expensive medical plan from their contractor? You don't think there are any ground drivers that are making $30? I would say you need to educate yourself.

There are many many drivers that get paid $180-210/day and put their 6-7 hours in and go home. They like coming in, busting out a condensed deliver route and getting home. Fits their lifestyle and the money is OK for them. What is not ok for them is being asked to sit around another couple hours a day and do pick ups for that same daily rate. The rate either goes up or they are off to find something else. They have no desire to be like an express driver that cannot straighline and has to do pickups and break off from their route to handle oncalls.
Maybe they don’t want more than 8 hours because they get no overtime for it like most everyone else in the US of A

Hax

Not only that but X has become a glorified furniture delivery company. Before I left it was pretty common to have to leave stops behind because a p1000 was completely packed. But yeah every route I've seen has turned into deliver 50-100 packages across 1-5 bulk stops, drop off another 150 pieces then pickup 100+. Turnover has always been high but it was crazy high before I left. I could name 3 of the 20ish drivers working for my contractor and 3 drivers they had me train all quit less than a month later. It'll only get worse with the merger since doing p1s will add another hour+ to a driver's day and they'll be expected to do it without extra pay.

Mutineer

What is not ok for them is being asked to sit around another couple hours a day and do pick ups for that same daily rate.

That was the demise of more than a few drivers, and one idiot contractor I've known. Getting busted bugabooing late pickups.

There are some people who are wired so that their entire focus upon leaving for work in the morning is to trample over everything in their path in order to get back home, hit that ass, watch sports-ball, and eat a burrito.