Is this job even worthwhile?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

how is talking about going into management not thread-related?

The kid wanted to know if a PT job in which he is only guaranteed 3.5 hrs/day and has to spend $100/week on gas is worth it. I think the consensus here is that he should find a job closer to home. "I love every day as a supervisor" doesn't really help the kid decide whether this job is worth it.

A

anonymous6

I give him credit for working. If he took your advice, and sat home and collected unemployment or welfare, some would call him names like moocher or taker. Oh, wait, since he probably doesn't make enough to pay federal income taxes, they do anyway.

Original Poster -- for what you are making at UPS, you could almost make the same hourly wage at any retail/fast food joint. (Which you already know) So what is UPS' appeal? The eventual benefits? You have to figure out the tradeoffs and decide accordingly. Good luck!

where the heck do i say "stay home and collect unemployment or welfare?" you need to go back to school too.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
The kid wanted to know if a PT job in which he is only guaranteed 3.5 hrs/day and has to spend $100/week on gas is worth it. I think the consensus here is that he should find a job closer to home. "I love every day as a supervisor" doesn't really help the kid decide whether this job is worth it.

hurrrrrrrrr

he can apply to be a supervisor, which would triple his income with only a few more hours a day

A

anonymous6

i lived in my car for 3 years in the parking lot to save up the money for a downpayment on a house.

just saying.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.......I have a 4-banger 1997 nissan truck but her gas mileage isn't so great,........

Before I bought the Tacoma I have now, I had a 1995 Nissan 4wd, 4cyl 5 speed that reliably got 20+ mpg in town. So I'm guessing you have over a 100 mile per day commute.

Or you have a very heavy right foot!

arice11

I actually have a college degree in the English language.
And how did the subject of this thread go from the overall experience as a part timer at UPS to my math skills?

UPSGUY72

I have been doing a lot of reading and research. It seems most people are not happy with being part-time, and all I hear about is union corruption and such.
For me, the drive to the warehouse alone will cost me a good 10 dollars there, then another ten to drive back home. I read about hours cut and terrible work conditions.
So is working for UPS worthwhile? Especially as a part time preloader, and hearing about the lack of advancement and pay raise...
Will I show up on time everyday and work hard only to get shafted?
Maybe I'm just concerned about my life being wasted somewhere that takes more money from each check than is given.
Someone tell me that there is hope

You need to understand that no matter what job people have they are going to have something to complain about. The people that complain abut the union don't understand why there is a union in the first place. They should go work over at Fed Ex and see how greener the grass is over there with out a union...

Working at UPS isn't for everyone just like any other job your have to make sacrifices. If you want a FT job at UPS you pretty much have to start out as a PTimer and put your time in as they promote from with in. I make $31 + hr as a driver it's worth it to me and I have 50+ mile commute to and from work each day.

I to am concerned my life is being wasted but I wasn't born into money and haven't hit the lottery yet so I have to waste my life away working 5 days a week M-friend in order to pay the bills. I pay $85 a month in Union dues. That money is well spent it has gotten me $31 + hr in pay, Free health insurance, a pension, discounts on numerous things include my monthly Cell phone bill to name a few things.... Go ask a Fed Ex work what they get and what it cost then.