Part time

BigBrownboxx

When I worked part time at UPS, I made $10 an hour, I worked on the twilight shift when I was still in high school, once I graduated I worked a FULL TIME job during the day. Then went to ups at night. I wanted to quit so bad cause all of my friends were making more money than me at McDonald’s, I stuck it out and went driving 3 years later when I turned 21. I do understand that part timers need a raise however, do they really deserve $25 an hour? It is a part time job. Stop saying it is brutally hard. I grew up on a farm and was raised that you have to go to work everyday. I am worried that If we go on strike that there will be massive lay offs after the fact. No I’m not in management but UPS has been a good place for me to work. I make more money then a lot of people where I’m from. Some days it’s heavy and I miss out on things. But In the end, this has been a great career for me… I am sorry if some of you guys disagree with me and I hope everyone hangs in there during these tough times. I hope we do not have massive lay offs After this. Stay strong everyone

Nah
I do understand that part timers need a raise however, do they really deserve $25 an hour? It is a part time job.
Whether or not they deserve it isn't always relevant. If UPS can't find people under $25/hr, that's what they'll get a raise to.

That's why McDonald's and Wal-Mart pay $20/hr these days. They wouldn't have any employees otherwise.

DriverNerd

How much do you think the part timers labor is worth per hour?

Our hub has a $26 MRA and still accepts doublers every so often because of staffing issues.

SpicyItalian739

Let’s keep part time wages low to incentivize UPS to make and retain more part-time jobs wherever they can. That’s a bold strategy from some of the full-timers here. It’s like people forget that UPS will take advantage of any loophole available to them to screw everybody over.

Make part-time jobs well paid like in decades past or UPS will never convert them into more full-time inside jobs. If the pay is forced to be good, they’ll look at it as saving on paying healthcare for 1 person for every two jobs combined. If the pay stays bad, they’re saving vastly more money to keep the part-time poverty system intact.

Its_a_me

When I worked part time at UPS, I made $10 an hour, I worked on the twilight shift when I was still in high school, once I graduated I worked a FULL TIME job during the day. Then went to ups at night. I wanted to quit so bad cause all of my friends were making more money than me at McDonald’s, I stuck it out and went driving 3 years later when I turned 21. I do understand that part timers need a raise however, do they really deserve $25 an hour? It is a part time job. Stop saying it is brutally hard. I grew up on a farm and was raised that you have to go to work everyday. I am worried that If we go on strike that there will be massive lay offs after the fact. No I’m not in management but UPS has been a good place for me to work. I make more money then a lot of people where I’m from. Some days it’s heavy and I miss out on things. But In the end, this has been a great career for me… I am sorry if some of you guys disagree with me and I hope everyone hangs in there during these tough times. I hope we do not have massive lay offs After this. Stay strong everyone

How about this. Amazon drivers make $25 an hour. I don't feel that YOU deserve more than $25 an hour. It's a job delivering boxes. If the weed smoking Amazon drivers can accomplish while high at that price: so can YOU.

Now that I saved UPS some money they won't need to layoff as many and therefore you won't have to worry so much. Because worrying about the money UPS is paying part timers for 3.5 hours of work seem to be a massive issue to your ego--or perhaps as I suspect it will hit YOUR pocketbook.

The company is making record profits but doesn't want to share any of it--because full timers like YOU accepted it so that YOU could be rewarded. Well there came a point at which the company raised the starting pay above the union negotiated wage because they couldn't find anyone. They didn't give any increase to the long-time PT'ers that were already here. Meaning someone off the street was getting more than someone that had been here a decade. That is how bad it got. And YOUR solution is: well lets go back to the status quo because it will inconvenience all the money I am making. It is doubtful you are worried about layoffs of others. And you sound like someone who will soon be called a SCAB.

Otherwise, grow some self awareness and realize that because you put up with something (BEFORE THE MASSIVE SPIKE IN INFLATION WHERE COLA STILL MEANS LOSING 3% WHICH ISN'T ACCOUNTED FOR): you now want others to pay an even steeper cost.

Try this on for once in your life: leaving something in better shape for the next person to come along.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

“No I’m not in management”. ..

:hypnosis:

nWo

You're lack of a basic education is an embarrassment to people everywhere.

nWo

Screenshot_20230713-024138.png

Accurate description of OP

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
How about this. Amazon drivers make $25 an hour. I don't feel that YOU deserve more than $25 an hour. It's a job delivering boxes. If the weed smoking Amazon drivers can accomplish while high at that price: so can YOU.

Now that I saved UPS some money they won't need to layoff as many and therefore you won't have to worry so much. Because worrying about the money UPS is paying part timers for 3.5 hours of work seem to be a massive issue to your ego--or perhaps as I suspect it will hit YOUR pocketbook.

The company is making record profits but doesn't want to share any of it--because full timers like YOU accepted it so that YOU could be rewarded. Well there came a point at which the company raised the starting pay above the union negotiated wage because they couldn't find anyone. They didn't give any increase to the long-time PT'ers that were already here. Meaning someone off the street was getting more than someone that had been here a decade. That is how bad it got. And YOUR solution is: well lets go back to the status quo because it will inconvenience all the money I am making. It is doubtful you are worried about layoffs of others. And you sound like someone who will soon be called a SCAB.

Otherwise, grow some self awareness and realize that because you put up with something (BEFORE THE MASSIVE SPIKE IN INFLATION WHERE COLA STILL MEANS LOSING 3% WHICH ISN'T ACCOUNTED FOR): you now want others to pay an even steeper cost.

Try this on for once in your life: leaving something in better shape for the next person to come along.

Well said.. I have seen our full time members throw others under the bus in order to save a few pennies out of fear. The Company sees this and will take full advantage of that betrayal by dividing the membership into the haves and have nots. We all have to investigate whether this whiners are indeed bored Management just trying to stir the pot or come from other sources.

@BigBrownboxx stated he started part time at age 18 and went full time driving in 3 years that in itself is a rarity. I believe he is management just by the time he started posting in B/C just before the 2018 talks and his (114) hidden posts.

Last edited:

nWo

You are very lucky to get a ft job so quickly. We have plenty of people that have waited decades for a FT opportunity. It hasn't came. And without them busting their ass you wouldn't have a job here. Without the part timers you wouldn't have healthcare and you wouldn't have a pension. You would be back at McDonald's flipping burgers and jerking yourself off.

Cowboy Mac

So you had it tough during your part time years making nothing as a Part Timer and working a full time job before your shift every day. Your experience sounds a lot like mine.

What I don’t get is why don’t you have sympathy for PTers going through what we did? It’s pretty selfish to say I got my big time driver money now, screw all the PTers pay.

It’s not a question if they “deserve” it. It’s a question of they have been getting the shaft for decades and we’re trying to get them back to the buying power they had back then before wages became stagnant and inflation ate away at their wallets.

We need to leave this place better than how we found it.

UPSER1987

You are very lucky to get a ft job so quickly. We have plenty of people that have waited decades for a FT opportunity. It hasn't came. And without them busting their ass you wouldn't have a job here. Without the part timers you wouldn't have healthcare and you wouldn't have a pension. You would be back at McDonald's flipping burgers and jerking yourself off.
Where are YOU from lol? Decades to go FT? Guys here 6 months to a year are driving because these turds can’t handle working FT. Decades? GTFO

BrownStains

I worked part time for 10 years at ups before going full time as a driver. Probably would’ve went sooner if I could. The part timers should get raises but how much is reasonable for that job?. It used to mainly be for college kids or people that already had second jobs that they made their money at and the ups gig was for the benefits ,not the money. You’re out the door at 9 am and have the rest of your day free.

BrownStains

Full timers aren’t busting their asses too? Without us they wouldn’t have jobs either

UPSER1987

I worked part time for 10 years at ups before going full time as a driver. Probably would’ve went sooner if I could. The part timers should get raises but how much is reasonable for that job?. It used to mainly be for college kids or people that already had second jobs that they made their money at and the ups gig was for the benefits ,not the money. You’re out the door at 9 am and have the rest of your day free.
That is true. Now people expect to keep up with the Jones working 4-6 hours a day. Everybody wants something for nothing. UPS has gotten so soft.

Brownee

Penny wise, pound (dollar) foolish. Instead, UPS is paying $41/hr for drivers to load because they can not recruit anyone which is kicking in the day's OT 3 hrs earlier than usual. So might as well call it, $62/hr to load on a daily basis.

BrownStains

That is true. Now people expect to keep up with the Jones working 4-6 hours a day. Everybody wants something for nothing. UPS has gotten so soft.
It’s ridiculous. I feel for them people because I used to be one too. But don’t expect me to sacrifice and be sympathetic when you’re out of there at 9 am and have the rest of your day free. That job was always about Benes and some extra spending money. Get a 2nd job like the rest of us did all them years to pay bills or go full time.

nWo

It’s ridiculous. I feel for them people because I used to be one too. But don’t expect me to sacrifice and be sympathetic when you’re out of there at 9 am and have the rest of your day free. That job was always about Benes and some extra spending money. Get a 2nd job like the rest of us did all them years to pay bills or go full time.

Yes. Part timers are working 2-3 jobs.