It’s SFA Time

zeev

Full time RTDs can be demoted to part time at any time. I have seen it job share which is RTD doing courier duties there were signed letters by the drivers and when they were taken away. HR went deaf, but there is always SFA

yadig

Full time RTDs can be demoted to part time at any time. I have seen it job share which is RTD doing courier duties there were signed letters by the drivers and when they were taken away. HR went deaf, but there is always SFA
What are you talking about?

Star B

White Lightening
We used to regularly have managers who scored in the 40s and 50s on their SFAs, and that's exactly what happened. They were sent off to Memphis to learn to lie more effectively, drink even more Kool-Aid, and spread the misguided gospel of PSP. The managers who learned to "play the system" were pretty much hands-off, and they learned to let a lot of misdeeds and lack of performance just slide by. There were a few 80s and even 90s managers too, who were actually good at their jobs and appreciated for it. All of them moved on to other companies.

Perhaps they should rename the SFA as "FedEx McMuffin and Donut Award Week", because that's usually what happens. Your manager acts human for 2 weeks and plies you with trinkets and crap food.

Pathetic.
ha, our managers are like "rate us poorly, we get a weeks paid vacation in another city on fedex's dime."

While it sounds callous, all our managers know that the score doesn't reflect them personally or even professionally locally, everyone is rating Memphis bull:censored2:.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Full time RTDs can be demoted to part time at any time. I have seen it job share which is RTD doing courier duties there were signed letters by the drivers and when they were taken away. HR went deaf, but there is always SFA.

Full time RTDs can be demoted to part time at any time. I hI have ave seen it job share which is RTD doing courier duties there were signed letters by the drivers and when they were taken away. HR went deaf, but there is always SFA
I have heard of this happening, and it was always an opportunity to use an RTD for courier work when a station is short-handed. I actually did FO once as a favor to a manager I genuinely respected because he was in a bind and I didn't have anything left to do but take MT cans back to the ramp. I got the OK from my manager and charged my time to the destination station.
Operationally, it would make sense to "use" an RTD as a courier in some instances, but, to your point, that isn't the offer letter you signed, is it? It isn't your problem the station is understaffed, and most RTDs have zero interest in doing courier work again,

Because you don't have a labor contract, your offer letter means nothing and the "Operational Necessity" verbiage trumps anything else when your employer decides to use the clause. Before the 14 hr rule was rigidly enforced I had an extreme example of this happen to me. I had done my overnight doubles run to our sister city 160 miles away, after having done a PM station run, and had just arrived back at my home ramp sitting at 12 hours. One of our gung-ho managers needed to cover an AM CTV run to a station 30 miles out and I was forced to do it because they had nobody else to do it. I refused, and was told I would be disciplined for refusing to work and not adhering to the Operational Necessity "emergency", so I did the run. After hitting traffic on the way back I was at 16 hours when I clocked out and I had to be back to work in 6 hours.

I filed a GFT, and it, of course, went nowhere because they backed the manager. Today, it wouldn't happen.

Guitarman01

With the craziness of FedEx it's good just to have managers that stick it out. I know most wouldn't want their responsibility. FedEx thinking they own you. I give them agreeable marks. Plus I'm done with the survey in 2 minutes.

SmithBarney

Sfa is only a part, a small part so you're not really doing much.
Possibly... its not about the score but when 50+% of your workgroup refuses to take the SFA it gets more attention than a low score. We've learned that nothing changes with SFA, so why do it, if it wasn't so important to the mgrs you wouldn't have the Senior and Ops Mgrs grovelling/begging for a good score.

MassWineGuy

ha, our managers are like "rate us poorly, we get a weeks paid vacation in another city on fedex's dime."

While it sounds callous, all our managers know that the score doesn't reflect them personally or even professionally locally, everyone is rating Memphis bull:censored2:.

In our region, poorly ranked managers have to take an employee relations class in some back water town in New Jersey. Luxurious.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
With the craziness of FedEx it's good just to have managers that stick it out. I know most wouldn't want their responsibility. FedEx thinking they own you. I give them agreeable marks. Plus I'm done with the survey in 2 minutes.

In our region, poorly ranked managers have to take an employee relations class in some back water town in New Jersey. Luxurious.
I a;ways love how a terrible manager can treat you like absolute crap for 50 weeks out of the year, and then suddenly become tolerable during the SFA period. It's like a couple of Krispy Kreme donuts can erase a whole year of being Bad Santa.

The SFA exists for one reason, and this has always been the case, and that is to measure the interest of the workforce in going union. That's why it has remained essentially unchanged for so long.

MassWineGuy

If that’s the case, they may start to worry. On whether I’d stay with FedEx if offered the same pay/benefits at another company, I strongly disagreed. Just a hunch, but I don’t think I my alone in feeling that way.

Godzilla55

If that’s the case, they may start to worry. On whether I’d stay with FedEx if offered the same pay/benefits at another company, I strongly disagreed. Just a hunch, but I don’t think I my alone in feeling that way.
All my responses were disagree or strongly disagree also. So tired of the “10 step” plan bs, valet and DisaSTAR, along with all the ineptness going on. I have 3 years, 8 months to go go unless Ground has taken over by then.

Guitarman01

All my responses were disagree or strongly disagree also. So tired of the “10 step” plan bs, valet and DisaSTAR, along with all the ineptness going on. I have 3 years, 8 months to go go unless Ground has taken over by then.
Yes, if they couldn't honor the step plan during record profit years during COVID, I might be looking elsewhere come this fall. I don't have years of my life to gamble with the step plan.

MassWineGuy

Would that include one short, stocky manager? LOL

I’m afraid that doesn’t narrow it down enough. A former manager, whose first name began with J, was sentenced to this course. She was uniformly disliked. But to our good fortune, she left the company soon after.

A saying on the wall of Vesuvio’s bar in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco puts it nicely: Every customer brings joy. Some by entering, others by leaving.

Ditto for managers.

Last edited:

whenIgetthere

I’m afraid that doesn’t narrow it down enough. A former manager, whose first name began with J, was sentenced to this course. She was uniformly disliked. But to our good fortune, she left the company soon after.

A saying on the wall of Vesuvio’s bar in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco puts it nicely: Every customer brings joy. Some by entering, others by leaving.

Ditto for managers.
Ok, an OM who thinks they are the SM?