job insurance

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
THE TEAMSTERS and the CONTRACT THEY NEGOTIATED should be our job insurance, and your dues should more than cover the cost!!!

There's something wrong with the Teamsters doing a poor job defending jobs and the integrity of a swift, fair grievance process, and then making up for the delays by letting you pay additional money to fix what shouldn't be broken in the first place.

These policies aren't being sold by the Teamsters, rather private companies.
The one I have a policy with; LECMPA is a 100 yr old, non-profit, mutual insurance company.
There is something wrong with the process, but what consolation will that be to you when you're floundering through the process?
Will your ideals pay the bills in the meantime while your out of work on trumped up charges?
These policies may very will be the ticket for our members to fight discipline that isn't supported by contractual language.
How many times have we seen somebody accept a discharge reduced to suspension that they didn't deserve, just to get back to work?

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't need it never have never will. Do your job the right way and there isn't going to be a problem.

Also we make $30 hr you should have a nest egg built up in case of an emergency. However I do understand that there are some people that never can never make enough money because it burns a hole in there pocket.

Not necessarily.
Ever heard of the term "avoidable accident".
I have ample savings as I assume you do.
Difference being, I save to spend on something tangible rather than using it to tred water on a BS discharge.

We all buy various forms of insurance with the hope that we never have to use it.
This insurance is no different and protects you from a very real threat.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hear is my story.
In December of 2010, after reading about job insurance on this forum and doing some internet research, I secured a policy with LECMPA.
The first two months were free.
The guy I dealt with explained to me that this company had been providing coverage to railroad workers for the past century before expanding coverage to any unionized transportation worker.
We talked about their non-profit status as well as the other benefits of job insurance.
He asked me if I would be interested in helping him as an agent in my state to sell these policies, to which I was torn.
When I got my policy in hard copy form via US Mail, I was discouraged by the things that were listed as not covered.
Dishonesty, failure to follow, were among the list.
I immediately called the rep and he assured me that each case was evaluated on a case by case basis and that what the company alleged was not the only factor in the processing of a claim.
He said LECMPA was well aware that UPS made outrageous, unsubstantiated charges against its employees and that as a non-profit mutual insurance company their only purpose is to pay claims.
He insisted this to be the case and that the State of Michigan audited them annually.
I told him that I could not sell these policies in their present form and was probably going to cancel my policy.
Very dejected I went on about my business and procrastinated in canceling my policy when the first premium was withdrawn from my checking account in February.
Before the month passed the unthinkable happened, I was discharged for failure to follow instructions.
There were many mitigating circumstances surrounding the discharge, not to mention the company ignoring it being a progressive issue.
24 years with nothing more than an occasional warning letter, and there I was on the outside looking in.
Sparing you all the details of case, I called the rep once again to inform him that we would see if what he said was indeed the case.
I called and opened a claim and received the forms and instructions the next day.
Completed the forms and secured a statement from the steward and business agent for the union within a couple days.
As promptly as I returned them, I received notification that my claim was approved and received my money by the following Friday.
I was so impressed, I reconsidered and have since become an agent for LECMPA.

Don't wait until it is too late and don't think that it won't happen to you.
Insurance premiums are a necessary evil against things that are potential life altering.
By individuals pooling their money together, we can protect ourselves from frivolous discipline and financial ruin while going through the grievance process.
It's really not much of a departure from the union concept.

Feel free to PM for more info.

P.S. When I refused to accept a discharge reduced to a suspension at the local level hearing and told management I was willing to go to the state panel the following month, they reduced the discharge to a warning letter instead. Fortitude comes easier when money is taken out of ther equation.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hear is my story.
In December of 2010, after reading about job insurance on this forum and doing some internet research, I secured a policy with LECMPA.
The first two months were free.
The guy I dealt with explained to me that this company had been providing coverage to railroad workers for the past century before expanding coverage to any unionized transportation worker.
We talked about their non-profit status as well as the other benefits of job insurance.
He asked me if I would be interested in helping him as an agent in my state to sell these policies, to which I was torn.
When I got my policy in hard copy form via US Mail, I was discouraged by the things that were listed as not covered.
Dishonesty, failure to follow, were among the list.
I immediately called the rep and he assured me that each case was evaluated on a case by case basis and that what the company alleged was not the only factor in the processing of a claim.
He said LECMPA was well aware that UPS made outrageous, unsubstantiated charges against its employees and that as a non-profit mutual insurance company their only purpose is to pay claims.
He insisted this to be the case and that the State of Michigan audited them annually.
I told him that I could not sell these policies in their present form and was probably going to cancel my policy.
Very dejected I went on about my business and procrastinated in canceling my policy when the first premium was withdrawn from my checking account in February.
Before the month passed the unthinkable happened, I was discharged for failure to follow instructions.
There were many mitigating circumstances surrounding the discharge, not to mention the company ignoring it being a progressive issue.
24 years with nothing more than an occasional warning letter, and there I was on the outside looking in.
Sparing you all the details of case, I called the rep once again to inform him that we would see if what he said was indeed the case.
I called and opened a claim and received the forms and instructions the next day.
Completed the forms and secured a statement from the steward and business agent for the union within a couple days.
As promptly as I returned them, I received notification that my claim was approved and received my money by the following Friday.
I was so impressed, I reconsidered and have since become an agent for LECMPA.

Don't wait until it is too late and don't think that it won't happen to you.
Insurance premiums are a necessary evil against things that are potential life altering.
By individuals pooling their money together, we can protect ourselves from frivolous discipline and financial ruin while going through the grievance process.
It's really not much of a departure from the union concept.

Feel free to PM for more info.

P.S. When I refused to accept a discharge reduced to a suspension at the local level hearing and told management I was willing to go to the state panel the following month, they reduced the discharge to a warning letter instead. Fortitude comes easier when money is taken out of ther equation.

I guarantee there will be at least one person who realizes looking back, that I shoulda, coulda, woulda...???
Will it be you???