Just got fired, going to panel

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
If u toke package from the other driver, u didn't steal a thing from the company cause it was not UPS property. It wasn't UPS shipment.

Maybe the other driver could get fired for performing a service without going threw UPS.

He performed the pick up-shuttle-and delivery of it !!!!!!!!

It wouldn't make you any better for putting him on the spot.

The only right thing to do is for the manager to inform both of you that this will not b permitted and warn u along with same warning in P.C.M. to all drivers!!!!!

Then they free to fire any following after sence all have been informed.

That would B Ethical, but this is UPS we're talking about.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Gifts from customers during the holidays are one thing that rises to reasonable exception, but, buying and/or picking up products and transporting it by UPS TRUCK and not paying for the shipping is strictly against UPS policy which is posted in every center. Every commercial package picked up or delivered has to be paid for. You can not use a UPS truck and/or UPS employee working time to engage in personal business that is not directly related to your work duties.

Do not talk to customers about you personal issues regarding repairs, products, or service on UPS time. Do not transport personal property ( your lunch box doesn't count) using a UPS truck. When you are on the clock and in command of a UPS vehicle you are to be doing what the company is paying you to do and nothing else. Its that simple.

Hope they can strike a deal and reinstate you. I'd start "getting it" and stop the denials.

I am not going to criticize your advice, But from what the OP described....

It is no different than "transporting" a gift from a customer.

It happens every day.... every peak.

Got a good chuckle reading your post.... Right out of the playbook :wink2:

-Bug-

Gifts from customers during the holidays are one thing that rises to reasonable exception, but, buying and/or picking up products and transporting it by UPS TRUCK and not paying for the shipping is strictly against UPS policy which is posted in every center. Every commercial package picked up or delivered has to be paid for. You can not use a UPS truck and/or UPS employee working time to engage in personal business that is not directly related to your work duties.

Do not talk to customers about you personal issues regarding repairs, products, or service on UPS time. Do not transport personal property ( your lunch box doesn't count) using a UPS truck. When you are on the clock and in command of a UPS vehicle you are to be doing what the company is paying you to do and nothing else. Its that simple.

Hope they can strike a deal and reinstate you. I'd start "getting it" and stop the denials.
Do you use drugs?
Are you using them hen you post??
what did you smoke???

Buck Fifty

How many times has your brain been washed this week anyway ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When you are on the clock and in command of a UPS vehicle you are to be doing what the company is paying you to do and nothing else.

2myvhns.jpg

Now go and get a sales lead.

singleout

Was this package picked up ....

Taking to building ....

unloaded, sorted, loaded on shuttle to another hub ...

unloaded, spa'd, sorted, pre-loaded, out for delivery and deliverd via UPS driver all without a label or payed for ???
Or was it just brought back 2 building and handed to another driver????

exactly!!!!
Just picked up and brought back to building

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
First of all, there are so many things wrong with this story it isnt even funny. "theft of services"? How ridiculous is this. Lets say I bought a hamburger, fries and a coke from my last stop and brought it back to the building to eat when I clocked off. Are you saying that the company would discharge me for "theft of services" for not putting a tracking label on them?

Get serious.

A driver bringing in a package, box, envelope, bag is NOT a theft of a service. There was never any intention of the package being in the system in the first place.

The only person who could possibly face any discipline within the system would be the driver who transported the package, not the end user. This story is hogwash at best, and I doubt its credibility.

Peace

TOS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's suppose the package was processed by the shipper and put in to the system. Would the driver then have to wait until the next day to get the package?

We had a former driver who was terminated for theft of services. He had taken a barcode label from the SRM book of one of his daily P/U customers to send a personal package. He got caught when the package was damaged and returned to the shipper. He threw away an $80K job trying to save $18.

The OP clearly had no intent to steal services or defraud the company. This termination is unjustified.

ibt

No if it's put in system shipping charges are applied. You really can't see the difference?I agree he should get his job back however don't take this lightly. I would hate to be the next guy to do this

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Did he use a UPS vehicle? Did he do it on company time?

Exactly!

Was this package picked up ....

Taking to building ....

unloaded, sorted, loaded on shuttle to another hub ...

unloaded, spa'd, sorted, pre-loaded, out for delivery and deliverd via UPS driver all without a label or payed for ???

Or was it just brought back 2 building and handed to another driver????

exactly!!!!

Bad Gas!

Your crack pipe has been over used to the extent that you puke up brown Koolaid...

W

want to retire

We have a feeder run to an obscure cajun town with great food. Our feeder mgr is a beneficiary of this great food via company feeder..........How about kolaches, donuts etc.? Generally, if you are on meal and get a receipt.........all is well. I have seen cb parts to just about anything tagged with folks names around our operation in plain sight. Now, there are certain hubs in our region, where you are scrutinized for tying your shoe on the clock.......Keep it reasonable, and all is well. You know, this can be taken to extremes....what about all the fund raising( from leukemia on down)? How about free peaches on the counter?

singleout

No if it's put in system shipping charges are applied. You really can't see the difference?I agree he should get his job back however don't take this lightly. I would hate to be the next guy to do this
No shipping or tracking number involved. Package was just given to driver and left in the office for me on several occassions. Never a warning or someone telling me that this is theif. I have picked up things for other drivers all the time without thinking twice about it. There is no postings or written language about doing drivers a favor.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There is an electrical supply store on my route. I was once instructed by an on-car to pick up a box of florescent bulbs for the center. The old double standard.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just playing devils advocate

What if the shipper only shipped with say the postal service or FedEx and the route driver that was picking up the package only delivered to this place but on a daily basis, would this still be an issue? I have a strange feeling we wouldn't be seeing this guy go to panel or anything said.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In our building, this company refused to fix a mens room toilet, or a water fountain for the unloaders, but they can fire people for this crap. Shameful.

Buck Fifty

I don't know how many drivers you have in your building, but please tell me at least a few has thrown themselves under the bus for you. Maybe by signing a statement about past practice in the center on this topic. We have 50 drivers and I guarantee 40 would sign, along with a few TCD's. Remember there is strength in numbers. They can fire us all one at a time, but cant fire us all at one time .

bigblu 2 you

ive done christmas shopping while on break,picked up car parts,bottled water for the center,etc. i cant begin to remember what all.unless your not coding the time{if personal}i dont see an issue.you should get your job back unless their is something we havent heard.