Just started my 401k, thoughts?

A

anonymous6

3% is too low for your age. try 10% for awhile and you'll be surprised that you don't even miss it. plus you save on your taxes. after 6 months go up to 15% and see how that works. actually at your age you really should try to MAX out your 401k. after 30 years you will have a couple million dollars.

use the calculator at the website and you'll see. I have been maxing out for years. I save over 5000 dollars on my taxes every year and the amount I have accumulated is mucho dinero..........it's actually embarrassing. I don't want the wife to even know. may give her ideas.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No no they don't match anything. Just automatically max out what they can contribute on the employees behalf. Which in 2014 I think is something like 54k.

Why in the world would any employer do that? I can understand automatically starting the 401k and funding it with a minimal amount, up to 5%, but to max it out?

The limit this year is $17.5K ($5.5K catch-up). You would have to triple it to get to $54K.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've had my 401k contributions divided into two funds, S&P 400 and International. Averaging 7-8% a week, I've been as high as 15% and low as 3%. Began in 2006, now age 35...won't give away the sum but it's on-par with what I expected when first starting out.

I suggest when first starting out, not to spread too thin your investments...i.e. three or less funds.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would suggest that you adjust the withholdings on your W-4 but that almost backfired on me last year.

C'mon man! The tax tax adjustment is automatic. When my kids were young I was putting in 17%. Now they are in college the wife and I each put in 8%. Comes out to about a grand a month. I help the kids with rent and food but they chose the expensive school, they can pay also.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why in the world would any employer do that? I can understand automatically starting the 401k and funding it with a minimal amount, up to 5%, but to max it out?

The limit this year is $17.5K ($5.5K catch-up). You would have to triple it to get to $54K.

Like i said the limit you can put in individually is 17.5 your employer can put in 54k on your behalf. So total 71.5k. I assume this is a way to compensate the employee but not pay taxes on that compensation.

The 54k would be about a 25% match on the salary so we are talking about a very well compensated profession here. However we are also talking a profession that takes 7 years of school minimum and someone's life is in your hands at all times.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Only 3%???

What's the point?

I am doing 12% pretax, $50/week post tax and $50 a week buying stock. I should probably double my post tax.

This is why I asked him what his employment status is.
3% is rather low but we don't know his financial position.

I came on here a couple years back and had said my 401k was at 3%
I also dealt with some backlash from members
I was dealing with massive credit card debt and could not afford anymore than that
As I paid the debt off, I kept hiking up my percentage along with my pay raises
Since I live within my means now and no credit card debt, I am at a comfortable 10% and can't wait to get it higher when our raise kicks in

Despite working part time or full time, financial conditions will dominate a person's ability to participate fully
To the OP - Keep up the good work, live within your means and participate more as your income increases

@ Sleeve PLEASE CHANGE YOUR AVATAR IT IS FREAKING ME OUT :please: